Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: Helping each other lose weight

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Default Encouragement

Right - after being encouraged to get back into the conversaton on this one here's a bit of encouragement for you all. At the beginning of the year I said I was going to get rid of everything I had gained in recent years. I went back up to 16.5 stones! Started loosing weight at the end of June. 13 weeks later going to the National Mod I was 14 stones. Strict diet and heavy schedule in the gym and pool. Stopped for the Canada trip and the national mod - both putting a bit back on. So i start again on Monday - so I'm in on this again - and heading for 12.5.

WBG

WBG, great to see you back. Next time you are in Toronto we will get up some walking tours and that will compensate for some of the calorie ladden beverages we serve here.

Ha! Found it. Ok Canuck - can we have a repeat of your good news about red wine here please.

I've been a bit under the weather this past week - what's really worrying me is that I appear to have lost my taste for the red stuff For the sake of science I will, however, give it another go this weekend coming.

Moira, you are a trooper. All for a good cause though!

Here is the link.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/s...4b4aeb&k=18138

Well, I've done awful at trying to stick to a diet! The only success I've had is by drinking 1/2 bottle of red wine last night. Thanks to canuck for giving me a reason not to feel guilty for one of my indulgences!!

I've seen this thread pop up from time to time (it began before I came out of my lurkers corner, though I admittedly haven't read all 24 pages of it!), and I'd like to join if I may, as I think being able to encourage one another is a great idea.

I've put on a lot of weight over the past 2 years, going from maybe about 10lbs over my optimum (that Body Mass Index thing...what ones Weight for Height should be), to around 4 1/2 stone extra! Eek!

So this summer, when I found one morning I was out of breath simply from the struggle of putting on and tying my shoes, I knew I definitely needed to get a grip on it! Since then (toward the end of July), I just made a real point to cut down on fat and sugar, eat sensible portions with more fruit and vegetables...even allowing the occasional take-away or bit of chocolate...and then getting out and walking, walking, walking!

To date I've lost 1st 9lbs and have kept it off, I didn't put on any weight while on holiday (though enjoyed all kinds of yummy food and treats), and I feel so much more energetic now, like I can REALLY go for it! I know from past experience that for me its not so much what I eat as How Much, and then I simply Have to get the exercise. That means my challenge is going to be getting out on cold dark days during the winter for a good brisk walk...so all encouragement and friendly nagging from everybody in that regard is welcome! And I'm happy to do whatever I can to help everyone else, too.
    The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea. ~Isak Dinesen

Elenna I'm sure you'll get lots of company on this thread. This whole diet thread seems to effect quite a few orgers.

p.s well done with the weight loss Elenna, especially after a holiday and not gaining any. wow!

My advice to everyone wanting to lose weight is stop dieting. The mere word means 'restriction' and 'temporary', not a recipe for success. Secondly, do away with the scales - any piece of equipment that can dictate how good or bad you feel about yourself cannot possibly be healthy in my book.
    Next, tell yourself that theres no such thing as 'bad food' - and mean it. Then, everytime you 'think' you're hungry ask yourself if you really are or whether you're just psychologically hungry. (Putting it into practice is alot harder than saying it though. lol)
    Only once we see food for what it truly is meant to be can we start to appreciate it in a healthy way and getting an idea of 'bad food' out of your head has to be first priority.

Finally try writing down everything you eat every day even if it's just for a week. I've done this for the past week and I have to say that I'm suprised at what I'm finding. It felt to me that I was eating all the time and bingeing all the time on rubbish. Not so! I haven't changed anything this past week and have eaten enough giant dairy milks to not want to admit to but it still hasn't been anywhere near as bad as I thought. Writing it down with times alongside also shows you if theres a certain part of the day that is worse for you too and if you really want to go to town you can write down how you were feeling at the time. It seriously helps!!!!!!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Elenna, welcome to our fitness club. You have just the right attitude and spirit to fit in with this eclectic group.

I am not having a particularly successful time of it right now. But that is life. I am encouraged by your story and will redouble my effort to increase the exercise.

Thought I would add a little as we obviously run weight management sessions here at Dunbeath Surgery.

First, dieting isn't always the best way forward, especially fads such as the Atkins etc. Healthy eating is the best way forward, and is best put into action if you understand what the body requires in the forms of protein, carbs etc. Likewise hydration is equally important. When you restrict or try to alter what you eat dramatically it can be psychologically difficult to maintain the process, so you need to alter your outlook to food and to what you eat, without restricting yourself, and this can be much easier than it first seems.

Second, you will not loose weight unless you exercise, and by this I don't mean going overboard, simply increasing the pace of your daily walk to get the heart rate up etc, can all assist. In fact when I teach exercise for those on our program, they are often amazed to find how simple it is. But in essence to loose weight you need to exercise with a healthy eating plan. Cardiovascular exercise can be great, but again air with caution and make sure you exercise within the limits of your present capabilities.

Third, the psychology of why you do certain things is very important, and over the last ten years involved in clinical hypnosis, psychology etc I have found that even the simplest of things, if not evaluated can influence your mood, temperament and eating. NLP has become popular, and has some benefits, anchoring distaste to foods you enjoy etc can have some benefit, but I prefer to analysis the in and outs of daily life to examine hots spots of eating, reasoning, etc.

As I mentioned before, we run these sessions for free at Dunbeath Surgery, and we will even see individuals for free, if groups sessions seem daunting. We are more than happy to provide healthy eating plans, support, talks etc.

Andrew
    manager@dunbeathsurgery.co.uk
    Andrew Usher
    Partner / Practice Manager
    Dunbeath Surgery
    dunbeathsurgery.co.uk

Thanks for the welcome, Porshiepoo and Canuck! I know everyone here can all achieve our goals...by whatever reasonable means we find works best for us individually. We just have to be determined and stick to it! It is definitely nice to have friends who are trying to do the same for encouragement, though.
    The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea. ~Isak Dinesen

Sorry guys, had to drag this one back up!! I'm onto the Kellogs drop a jean size diet!! 30g cereal really isn't much!! Has anyone had any success in losing weight lately?? I've put on 1 1/2 stone

Quote Originally Posted by henry20 View Post
    Sorry guys, had to drag this one back up!! I'm onto the Kellogs drop a jean size diet!! 30g cereal really isn't much!! Has anyone had any success in losing weight lately?? I've put on 1 1/2 stone
    I never tried this diet, henry20 - diets have only ever made me think MORE about food.

The best thing for me has been to write down what I'm eating over a week or two, try to work out how many calories that added up to...and cut down...I did a similar thing to see how much salt I was consuming and that was quite a shock as well!

I did get one of these Special K pedometers though, to see if I was getting enough exercise, and found I was taking 13,000 steps a day on average...but wasn't making any inroads on the weight I wanted to lose.

But I agree that anything that helps us lose say 1/2 a stone to a stone in a relatively short time can give a bit of a boost to start...and then it probably is down to eating less and exercising more, sigh.......the warm weather last weekend had me buying more salad and fresh fruit....but now it's gone cold again I feel the need for comfort food

I am on a new eating program that is essentially of my own making. I went to a naturapath a couple of years ago, and she told me for my blood group I should eat a lower carb and higher protien style of diet. As soon as I start dieting I want to be finished and therefore go back to eating normally (and therefore badly).
    So now it is new lifestyle for me and so far 2kg in 2 weeks.
    I start the day with fruit salad and juice
    lunch is cold meat and salad or an omlette
    dinner is fish, steak, lamb or chicken with vegetables
    and for a treat I have a sugar free chocolate
    If I need a snack I have slices of cold meat with a slice of cheese or spread the meat with cream cheese and some shallots rolled up. really yummy.
    I drink decaf coffee with fruit sugar, water, orange juice and decaf tea or herbal. Plenty of variety and so far so good.
    I don't have to count any points or calories and then I don't seem to feel as if I am limiting myself.
    I try to exercise three times a week if not more. bellydancing once or twice and walking the dogs most days. It doesn't always work out but I do manage atleast the 3 times per week.
    Last edited by Lolabelle; 21-Apr-07 at 12:31. Reason: Addition
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324