Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asda Thurso

Default Asda Thurso

I have just been handed a copy of the notice for serving on neighbours form for application for outline planning - ASDA in the field opposite the Weigh Inn, next to Pennyland Farm - comprising: retail foodstore, petrol filling station, associated car parking, landscaping, access road and roundabout, servicing, playing field and associated community facilities and car parking

plans can be ssen in council offices in Wick

maybe folks from inverness will start travelling to thurso, to go to a$da

Quote Originally Posted by jay
    I have just been handed a copy of the notice for serving on neighbours form for application for outline planning - ASDA in the field opposite the Weigh Inn, next to Pennyland Farm - comprising: retail foodstore, petrol filling station, associated car parking, landscaping, access road and roundabout, servicing, playing field and associated community facilities and car parking

plans can be ssen in council offices in Wick
    WOOHOO!! That's good news
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

That'll be the Wickers complaining again
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Well, I've just checked with ASDA to see if they can give me any more information so just waiting for a reply now.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsboy
    That'll be the Wickers complaining again
    Your darn right, that teenabowla 's alway's copying us weeker's

Sounds fair enough to me, you have Asda and we'll have Tesco, Homebase, Argos, Supadrug, New Look,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LENSMAN
    Sounds fair enough to me, you have Asda and we'll have Tesco, Homebase, Argos, Supadrug, New Look,etc.
    and your over priced cinema .

Is there a point in putting all the main shops in Wick and then just chucking one in Thurso??

Quote Originally Posted by LENSMAN

no problem, I'll take ASDA anytime! they sell just about everything that those mentioned above do! okay with the exception of homebase

seriously tho' much as I love the thought of ASDA up here I just don't see how the county can sustain all this and, thinking of Thurso alone what shops will be effected:

Graham Begg, Alacam, Mackays, Woolworth, all the filling stations, frasers and of course the co-op and sommerfield - are we going to end up with one lovely big shop and the rest slowly closing down? only time will tell

Well i do all my shopping in asda down here and they are cheap and have good range of products

I live in Wick and I'm really glad there is going to be an ASDA.Tesco is already too much of a monopoly. Monopolies are good for no one. If there is competition between them, even better for all of us!
    Last edited by _Ju_; 24-Jan-06 at 20:58.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

well chuffed there will be a asda in thurso!helps the whole community!
    no problems here driving to thurso to shop in asda!!
    im so glad that we are getting bigger shops up north.. and that it will be
    opening up work and jobs for people!
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by brandy
    im so glad that we are getting bigger shops up north.. and that it will be
    I share your optimism up to a point but the nagging thing that is swirling round is when will one of them pull stumps and sell out to Mace, Netto or even the thinking man's cheapo shop....Aldi!!

I can't see another big store coming.....hold on! Did I hear another rumour about Debenhams?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by brandy
    and that it will be
    my 7 year old might get a job in satan's five and dime........

A quote from the weblink below:
    Could it be that consistent violations of child labor laws are just seen as a "cost of doing business" by Wal-Mart? A practice that yields far higher benefit than the paltry fines leveled on them when they are "caught"?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/2/13/111525/263

Cool ASDA Thurso

I expect the local traders association will be objecting, as will all the petrol stations in Thurso, as they do not like competition, and prefer to keep prices high, and shutting for lunch. .
    As I have found over the years, if you ask for something which is not on the shelf in Wick, they will go out the back and look to see if there is one there, or when one will come in. In Thurso, you will be told if its not on the shelf, we have not got any, and the assistant will walk off. I wish Asda all the best, as the only other competitive store is Lidl’s.

Well I've had one of these notes put through my door and it is not from Asda but from someone trying to drum up support to block it!

Citing not in the 5 year plan, why use viable farm land when there is industrial sites available, traffic congestion, damage to local shops! Seems that nearly everyone wants it but as usual the powerful minority will put a stop to it.

I'm still not sure whether it is genuine or just a wind up? Seems a bit odd for Asda to venture this far North so far from there next nearest store! That said I hope it is true and it does happen. The only businesses it would be bad for are the overpriced Coop and Somerfield and the aleged petrol cartell!

Wink Asda Thurso

I think an asda will be brill and as for the smaller shops closing down, if the council did more to encourage small businesses there wouldnt be a problem, have you ever looked at the cost of renting and most importantly the cost of business rates in the towns of wick and thurso they are ridiculously high. I will not be in the least bit surprised if the only shops left in the town centres are charity shops cos they dont have to pay rates! So in a lot of ways the council should sit up and take some notice and do something and perhaps try to encourage new and existing businesses by reducing rates in the towns, this will keep everyone happy.

I am delighted also to hear that Asda are considering Thurso. What im concerned about is that when Tescos hear about it will they consider withdrawing their application for a store in Wick??

Does anyone know anything more about what is happening regarding Wick Tescos as it seems to have gone very quiet at the moment??

If I had to choose between the two I would rather have Tescos!!

Default Asda is better than Tesco

Always prefered Asda. They tend to be a bit cheaper than Tesco and thier own prepared food better. Their curries and shop made pizzas are the best.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast