Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Learmonth

Default Learmonth

Looking for Robert Learmonth b. 1802 in East Lothian who married Janet Donaldson from Wick. He eventually died in Stronsay.
    spittalhill

Default Learmonth

They married in 1828, but Robert Learmonth later remarried in Orkney. I am trying to find out what happened to his first wife, the family from hi sCaithness marrioage, and where they lived in Caithness. He was from a farming background.
    spittalhill

Quote Originally Posted by spittalhill
    They married in 1828, but Robert Learmonth later remarried in Orkney. I am trying to find out what happened to his first wife, the family from hi sCaithness marrioage, and where they lived in Caithness. He was from a farming background.
    I can't find a Robert Learmonth anywhere.

There was a Robert Learmount at Lybster in 1841, no wife on census, about the right age, eldest son 12 years old and occupation listed as "Greive" which I think was a farm manager or overseer.

District: 19 Folio: 0 Page: 12
    Address: Clyths Mare Sibes House

LEARMOUNT Robert M 40 Greive Outside Census County (1841)
    LEARMOUNT Robert M 12 Outside Census County (1841)
    LEARMOUNT John M 10 Outside Census County (1841)
    LEARMOUNT Margaret F 8 Caithness
    LEARMOUNT Alexander M 6 Caithness
    MCKENZIE Janet F 25 Female Servant Caithness
    CAMPBELL Sophia F 25 Female Servant Caithness
    BORTHWICK Peter M 40 Male Servant Outside Census County (1841)

Default Learmonth

Thanks Fred, I think that is the one. I have seen various spellings of the name in earlier generations. His wife, Janet, may have died in childbirth? I am intrigued that his first two children were not born in Caithness as I believed he moved from East Lothian to Caithness then to Stronsay, Orkney, where he owned a farm.
    spittalhill

There is learmonths in john o groats that orginate from orkney if thats any help

Default Learmonth

I have not so far been able to establish a connection between Robert Learmonth and his brother, George, who came from East Lothian, and the native Orkney Learmonths. Robert Learmonth farmed at Housebay, Stronsay and George at Westness, Rousay. Any info would be most welcome.
    spittalhill