Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Adam Sutherland & Janet Gray

Smile Adam Sutherland & Janet Gray

My ggrandfather Donald Gray b 1810 Halkirk was Janet Gray's brother their parents were James Gray and Elizabeth Steven/Stephen.

Janet married Adam Sutherland 1832 in Bower.
    Children
    James Sutherland b 1832

Isabella Sutherland abt 1835 d 1917 in Wick. Isabella married Keneth MacLeod 1858 in Wick. They had 10 children:
    Kenneth b 1858, Adam 1860-1864, John b 1861, Alexander 1864-1949 he married Catherine Clyne, Adam b 1866, Isabella b 1868, Elizabeth b 1870, Malcolm 1872-1876, James b 1873 and Jessie b 1876. Jessie married William George Kuppers 1894 in Wick they had two daughters Isabella b 1895 and Jessie Mcleod b 1898.

Catherine Sutherland b abt 1835 Catherine had 1 son Adam b 1869

John Sutherland b 1841-1926 married Janet Knox 1870 John & Janet 4 daughters & 3 sons:
    Johan Sutherland b 1864 married 1 Robert Irvine from Delting, Shetland 1883 in Wick in 1889 Johan (now a widow) married Donald Grant.
    George Sutherland b 1866.
    Adam Sutherland b 1871-1949 married Elizabeth McLeod 1894 in Wick. You should browse Lidl Offers and get the best at the lowest prices.
    Janet Sutherland b 1872-1875
    Margaret Sutherland b 1875 as far as I know Margaret did not marry but she had a daughter Johan Gunn b 1894 father was Francis Gunn.
    James Sutherland b 1879

Catherine Sutherland b 1882 married Donald McLeod 1902 in Wick.

James Sutherland b 1845 Wick.

Anyone with connections?

Mary Clark (nee Alexander born Wick)

Default Sutherland

Hello Mary,

I will PM some info in case it is relevent.

MH

Hi Mary
    my 4C1R is Elizabeth McLeod 1875-1962 m to Adam Sutherland.

Re GRAY. I have a few via marriage but noticed Halkirk
    I have Donald b c 1825 Halkirk - is he one of yours he married 1846 Euphemia Grant
    Tricia
    Last edited by Tricia; 14-Nov-08 at 14:22. Reason: wrong surname

Hi Mary,

Who did your GGrandfather Donald Gray marry?

Perhaps someone out there is connected to your direct family line.

MH

Default Adam Sutherland & Janet Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    Hi Mary
    my 4C1R is Elizabeth McLeod 1875-1962 m to Adam Sutherland.

Re Taylor. I have a few via marriage but noticed Halkirk
    I have Donald b c 1825 Halkirk - is he one of yours he married 1846 Euphemia Grant
    Tricia
    Hi Tricia,
    Re Taylor do you mean Gray as I don't have any Taylor's in my Gray Line well not as far as I know.
    My Gray line I have back to David Gray and Elizabeth McLeod who married 1769 in Watten, they had 11 children two were c in Halkirk the rest in Watten. Elizabeth c 1773, Katherine 1774, James 1775 (my direct line), Janet 1779, Donald 1780, David 1782 d bef. 1788, John 1782, William 1783, Isabell 1786-1871 she was a School Mistress and never married,
    David 1788, and John 1789 d bef. 1851 John's first marriage was to Margaret McLeod b abt 1786 and d bef. 1841 I do no know if they had any children, John married Christina Waters 1826-1900, 1849 in Watten they had two sons John 1850-1872 and David b abt 1852.

My Grandmother and Grandfather both came from Caithness so there are quite a few names on my list.
    Sinclair-Donaldson-Miller-Mowat-Harper, Campbell, Innes .
    Mary.

Default Gray-Campbell-Smith-Calder

[quote=mary helen;457729]Hi Mary,

Who did your GGrandfather Donald Gray marry?

Perhaps someone out there is connected to your direct family line.

Hi Mary Helen,

My GGrandfather Donald Gray 1810-1860 married Catherine Campbell 1838 in Wick, Catherine was b 1818 in Thurso and d 1906 in Edinburgh. Catherine's parents were William Campbell b abt 1783 in Halkirk d 1857 in Wick and Catherine Smith b 1786 Dunnet.
    Children:
    Alexander b 1812, David 1814, Fanny b 1816 d between 1841 & 1851
    Fanny married Alexander Davidson 1834 in Wick. Catherine 1818-1906,
    William 1820, George 1822, Isabella 1824, Betty b 1827, Henrietta b 1829 and Janet 1832.

William Campbell's parents were David Campbell and Catherine Sinclair.
    Catherine Smith's parents were unknown Smith and Frances Calder

Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by mary View Post
    Hi Tricia,
    Re Taylor do you mean Gray as I don't have any Taylor's in my Gray Line well not as far as I know.
    Mary.
    Yes Mary.
    I have changed it to GRAY. I was looking at my Watten/Thurso Taylors at same time. .
    The Donald Gray I Mentioned b c 1825/6 Halkirk may have been a son of David! and Jean/Jane.
    I am off to explore all your names now - we must link somewhere!! I noted before you have some of my MORE in your tree. Donald More 1833 -1861 m Catherine Reid. You with Catherine Reid links.

Tricia
    born a MORE in Wick

Default More-Reid-Miller-Harper

I am off to explore all your names now - we must link somewhere!! I noted before you have some of my MORE in your tree. Donald More 1833 -1861 m Catherine Reid. You with Catherine Reid links.

Hi Tricia,
    Yes we do link with the Reid-More Line Catherine Reid who married Donald More was my 1c3xr, her mother was Catherine Miller 1798-1879 and her father was David Reid 1780-1866. Catherine's parents were Alexander Miller and Elizabeth Harper my 3rd ggrandparents, their son James 1801-1862 was my 2xggrandfather he married Mary Mowat 1826 in Wick, their daughter Mary 1832-1919 married William Innes Sinclair 1829-1900 occ. Master Carpenter off Macarthur Street, Wick.

Mary

Smile Adam Sutherland/Janet Gray

Catherine Sutherland b 1882 m Donald McLeod 1902 - these are my grandparents. We must be related, so please contact. My 3 cousins and I were in Wick last month and had a Sutherland/McLeod gathering.

QUOTE: >>>>>Adam Sutherland b 1871-1949 married Elizabeth McLeod 1894 in Wick.<<<<

the above Elizabeth McLeod(m Adam Sutherland) is my 4C1r via her mother Catherine Gunn line.
    was the Donald McLeod(m Catharine Sutherland) related to Elizabeth McLeod?

Tricia

Smile Donald & Elizabeth McLeod

Donald & Elizabeth were brother and sister. Donald Gunn McLeod was my grandfather and Elizabeth was better known locally as Labour Liz. Their siblings were Marcus and Alexander (Sach). All 3 brothers were stonemasons and as I understand it, at one point, Donald and Marcus formed D & M McLeod, Stonemasons and Builders. My father, John Sutherland McLeod was born to Donald and Catherine (nee Sutherland). Please feel free to contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by brawboy1943 View Post
    Donald & Elizabeth were brother and sister. Donald Gunn McLeod was my grandfather and Elizabeth was better known locally as Labour Liz. Their siblings were Marcus and Alexander (Sach). All 3 brothers were stonemasons and as I understand it, at one point, Donald and Marcus formed D & M McLeod, Stonemasons and Builders. My father, John Sutherland McLeod was born to Donald and Catherine (nee Sutherland). Please feel free to contact me.
    Was this Marcus b c1889 who marry Rachael Robertson Bremner in 1911.
    If so as well as the Mcleod relating to me via GUNN. Rachael also relates to me via her Budge Cormack ancestors.

Tricia
    born a MORE in Wick

Lightbulb Adam Sutherland & Janet Gray

Hi Mary,
    We must be related too, as the above couple are my 3xgt.grandparents. I have David Gray & Elizabeth Mcleod marr. 1769 Watten. but I have not been able to find a Marriage for James Gray and Elizabeth Stephen (Janet Gray's parent's) do you have the marriage for them.
    I see that my Cousin Donald has replied to your thread also my other Cousin Tricia. I am glad to know that you will also be another "Cousin" to add to my tree with the info you have given on your x's Grandfather Donald Gray b. 1810.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards
    Teeny

Default Marcus McLeod

I understand Marcus's wife's maiden name was Bremner, but Henrietta possibly shortened to Rietta (Retty) and b. Keiss. I remember visiting their home at the top of Blackstairs on annual visits to Wick with my parents. I believe their son Marcus is still hale and hearty, living in Wales.

Default Watten GRAY families

My GRAY family of Watten has floated to the top of my pile at the moment, and I found this thread.
    I believe that David GRAY (marr. Elizabeth MacLEOD 1769) to be the son of John GRAY and Margaret FOWLER.
    I also believe that this David is highly likely to be the David GRAY who witnessed the baptisms of two of my GRAY family children, Elizabeth and Catherine, daughters of Donald GRAY and Janet SUTHERLAND of Toftingale in the 1780s.
    This Donald's father is another Donald, marr. to Kathrin MORGAN
    http://familytree.lornahen.com/p10826.htm
    I have a theory that the two families are related, and would very much like to test this out by finding candidates willing to help by participating in a dna project.
    One already exists at
    http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...e/default.aspx
    (and there are discounts going until the end of July).

I'd therefore need to find male GRAY descendants of both families.
    Down from my Donald and Kathrin, I'm running short of candidates as my research doesn't get many lines down to near present day.
    The mostly promising line would appear to be the family of William GRAY and Isabella MANSON who married at Calder, Halkirk in 1864.
    http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-...erson&id=I8938

Can anyone help me find male GRAY descendants of these families in the present day?
    I'm working on a likely candidate on the John and Margaret (FOWLER) GRAY side of the fence, but any one else interested is most welcome to contact me - preferably before the discount period expires

Regards
    Lorna
    http://dnasurnames.info/