Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Blackcap

Default Blackcap

Hi

I must admit, first off, that I'm not "into" bird-watching, but my husband has been a very keen bird watcher since he was about ten years old.

So whilst standing at our kitchen window this afternoon, I surprised myself by seeing a "different" bird perched on our back garden gate! I studied it for as long as it sat there, so I could take in it's details and tried to memorise as much as possible. I then searched my husbands bird book and felt very sure it was a "blackcap"

When I told my husband what I thought I'd seen he was quite sceptical and tried showing me other birds in the book that it may have been, but I stuck with my original.... blackcap!

Half an hour later he was in the kitchen and called on me to come through to see I was right.. it WAS a Blackcap and also feeding off our suet ball in the garden !!

SO. SO, chuffed with myself, to not only see a "different" garden bird but also to be able to correctly identify it !!

P/S My husband, has never seen a blackcap before so I've got one up on him !!!!

2. Default

Well done,we had a female Blackcap in our garden this year,she should really
    be called a Brown cap because of her brown head.

think we've had one in our garden today too, managed to take a pic of it so if anyone can confirm its a blackcap that would be great

i would say definitely a female blackcap dragonfly and a very sharp picture too ... well done
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

These little warblers seem to becoming more and more regular in the far north during the Winter, most seem to be females. I had a one in Duncan Street, Thurso about 3 Winters ago, it was feeding on berries along with a Waxwing.

Here's a photo of a male Blackcap feeding it's young in the nest.

Blackcap male feeding young in the nest.

nirofo.