Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Message in a Bottle

Talking Message in a Bottle

Has anyone ever sent a message in a bottle and if so did you get any replies, how far did it get?

The reason i ask is because it was on the news the other day about a little girl who sent one and it traveled about 9 thousand miles and was found by a little boy only a year older than the her.
    A balanced diet is a cake in each hand.

Great idea.
    I sent one once. Cast it into the sea off Rhyl.A Dandelion & Burdock bottle. It probably beached in Birkenhead but I never heard anything. Like so many job applications......

I threw a message in a bottle out to sea while on holiday as a kid and it travelled 4 miles.
    I went the 50 miles back home and received a letter in reply.
    I wrote back telling them I only threw it out 4 miles away from where they found it, never heard from them again.
    You get what you give

Quote Originally Posted by SAVEY
    I threw a message in a bottle out to sea while on holiday as a kid and it travelled 4 miles.
    I went the 50 miles back home and received a letter in reply.
    I wrote back telling them I only threw it out 4 miles away from where they found it, never heard from them again.
    maybe they felt short changed lol. A little deflated after pondering from whence it came.
    Good one.

Didn't one wash up near here somewhere which was from Canada?
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

I think i might try one and see how far it gets, if it ever gets anywhere.
    A balanced diet is a cake in each hand.

Once threw a bottle off an oil rig near Shetland with a message from my kids, about 2 years later we got a reply from some children in Denmark, they remained penpals for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by landmarker
    maybe they felt short changed lol. A little deflated after pondering from whence it came.
    Good one.
    Yeah I guess so. I was more disappointed that I hadn't thrown it out far enough!
    You get what you give

Well it was'nt a message in a bottle that created a friendship for me it was finding a name and telephone number on a £1 note over 20 years ago..we are still in touch and i visit her once a year in bonnie Dundee.

Quote Originally Posted by souperman
    Once threw a bottle off an oil rig near Shetland with a message from my kids, about 2 years later we got a reply from some children in Denmark, they remained penpals for several years.
    That's a much better story than mine in so many ways!

.....I'll get my coat....
    You get what you give

Quote Originally Posted by angela5
    Well it was'nt a message in a bottle that created a friendship for me it was finding a name and telephone number on a £1 note over 20 years ago..we are still in touch and i visit her once a year in bonnie Dundee.
    What a nice story!
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

happy_larry Guest

i remember when i was i kid i put my mothers shoppin list in a bottle and threw it in the harbour,about a week later,the groceries were delivered to the door!!!

Quote Originally Posted by happy_larry
    i remember when i was i kid i put my mothers shoppin list in a bottle and threw it in the harbour,about a week later,the groceries were delivered to the door!!!
    what a nice story!!!

Smile message in a bottle

i once sent a message on a balloon, don't think it would have got very far. and no i didn't get a reply!!!
    i was young by the way!!!
    some ones always watching!!!!!