Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: new restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    LOL! I'd just like to point out that the comment 'Mother-and-Toddler Brigade' refers to the collective group of people who always complain (in Caithness especially) about the lack of places to take their kids for lunch, and when someone provides that facility they shun it (or slag it off on here) because of the prices.

It's fairly common term used in the restaurant/cafe/catering trade, you know.

And get this - it isn't meant as a slight against all mothers and toddlers. Indeed, conscientious teenagers from Wick are allowed to be a part of the group too.

Handbags out eh.

Quote Originally Posted by rfr10 View Post
    Well very true but haven't most the local shops, etc been complaining because major retaillers are taking over Wick? If their prices are competitive then they should have nothing to worry about but if they are offering goods at higher prices then it's their fault. I'm not saying this new restaurant has complained about the competition but local shops in general. Yes, we should support our local retailers but how can we possibly do this if their prices are as high as the clouds in the sky?
    What you don't seem to understand is that local businesses cannot hope to compete with these corporate monsters.

I'll stick to the voluntary work at the moment every so often. I'd rather focus on school work than get a job and end up getting terrible results. But then, hopefully once I've left school, I'll get a well paid job 4 years after uni and then will be able to afford th huge cost of living in Wick ..

Unless I go to Tesco ..
    you can still work and get good results i myself did it and got good grades and i am now doing an apprenticeship, working part time never did me any harm and it also helped me support local businesses which it seem you are reluctant to do

rfr don't get a job yet! your a student still. Metalattack why have I been left out of your tirade?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Metalattack why have I been left out of your tirade?
    You don't get invited until you learn to spell my username correctly.

"It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

I didn't get the curly versus kicking rule the first time around.Sorry mate.

Default New restuarant

What is the problem? It is very nice that a new restuarant has opened providing decent meals at decent prices. Surely, one dines out for special occassions not taking the toddlers for lunch. I am sure that the Caledonian is looking at getting a fair share of the up market business and I hope they have every success with their new venture.

How mothers with toddlers can afford to eat out beats me, even a fish supper and sausage supper must make a big hole in the ordinary working families budget.

Quote Originally Posted by catran View Post
    What is the problem? It is very nice that a new restuarant has opened providing decent meals at decent prices. Surely, one dines out for special occassions not taking the toddlers for lunch. I am sure that the Caledonian is looking at getting a fair share of the up market business and I hope they have every success with their new venture.

How mothers with toddlers can afford to eat out beats me, even a fish supper and sausage supper must make a big hole in the ordinary working families budget.

I'm single and work full time but even I can't afford to eat out much.

And when I do it has to be special....

Default New /restuarant

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    And when I do it has to be special....
    Yes I think most people are the same, I have always worked also but I do not have any todlers, maybe that is why I do not frequent these eating establishments except on special occassions.

Yeah I agree most people are the same, we can't all afford to eat out whenever we feel like it, can we?

Quote Originally Posted by speedo215 View Post
    you can still work and get good results i myself did it and got good grades and i am now doing an apprenticeship, working part time never did me any harm and it also helped me support local businesses which it seem you are reluctant to do
    Well that may well be true but according to statistics now, people who have part time jobs after school and at weekends tend to do less well at school than they could. I blame by not so good results last year from the voluntary work I do, that's why, this year- I'm cutting down slightly and focusing more on school work. To get the grades I require for university, a part time job would only interfere with studying/ revision.

Well very true but haven't most the local shops, etc been complaining because major retaillers are taking over Wick? If their prices are competitive then they should have nothing to worry about but if they are offering goods at higher prices then it's their fault. I'm not saying this new restaurant has complained about the competition but local shops in general. Yes, we should support our local retailers but how can we possibly do this if their prices are as high as the clouds in the sky?
    When you get to University, may I suggest a course in Business Studies? You are showing a complete lack of understanding regarding how businesses arrive at a given price, or the economies of scale.

If you believe that prices in Wick are as "high as clouds in the sky" - then you haven't travelled outside Caithness very much.

well, il no be goin in anyway...an its got nothin til do wi 'e prices!
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    When you get to University, may I suggest a course in Business Studies? You are showing a complete lack of understanding regarding how businesses arrive at a given price, or the economies of scale.

If you believe that prices in Wick are as "high as clouds in the sky" - then you haven't travelled outside Caithness very much.
    You can suggest it but it's unlikely it will be carried out.

Well for a small town like Wick where there are very few great paid jobs, it is high. Maybe "high as clouds in the sky" is an exaggeration. I've been to restaurants in Inverness. Excellent service, excellent quality food at excellent prices (around £5 for main meals.)

You can suggest it but it's unlikely it will be carried out......................
    Well, in that case may I suggest you stop spouting off about local businesses and overpricing (but then again, this isn't the first time you've come up with an ill-informed and misleading rant about local businesses, is it?)- if you are not prepared to learn about a subject you choose to criticise, then you will not be taken seriously by local business people.

I see you are "Transport Convener & Caithness Area Executive Representative"
    I sincerely hope that you do not show the same lack of knowledge when you speak on transport issues.

Rfr, I have a lot of time for anyone of your age group who gets off their arse and is willing to get involved in the local community.
    But, mark my words, if you insist on deriding the local business community then you must expect to be called to account at some stage by that same community. You have put yourself in the firing line by becoming involved and having a strong opinion.

And, as a local employer, if I am present - I will show you no mercy whatsoever when I remind you of your critcisms both here and on another thread regarding local businesses.........

Well, in that case may I suggest you stop spouting off about local businesses and overpricing (but then again, this isn't the first time you've come up with an ill-informed and misleading rant about local businesses, is it?)- if you are not prepared to learn about a subject you choose to criticise, then you will not be taken seriously by local business people.

I see you are "Transport Convener & Caithness Area Executive Representative"
    I sincerely hope that you do not show the same lack of knowledge when you speak on transport issues.

Rfr, I have a lot of time for anyone of your age group who gets off their arse and is willing to get involved in the local community.
    But, mark my words, if you insist on deriding the local business community then you must expect to be called to account at some stage by that same community. You have put yourself in the firing line by becoming involved and having a strong opinion.

And, as a local employer, if I am present - I will show you no mercy whatsoever when I remind you of your critcisms both here and on another thread regarding local businesses.........
    Without saying you are wrong, I can't quite remember having any strong opinions about other local businesses but maybe I have. Unless you refer to taxis. I don't believe I have to go to the effort to learn about local business to criticise high prices of food. Any idiot can criticise price, food quality, service standards, etc without having to learn a great deal about the topic. I added my first comment which only stated that I was disappointed about the high price of the food on the menu when I was planning going there myself. It's when others begin to contradict my view that I will continue to comment in order to get my view across. No matter what useless information I put across, as long as it makes sense then it's fine to me. Evidently, I'm not having an intellectual debate with politicians, I'm merely stating my point of view and in the end, even if some people do say I am "slagging" off businesses (even though this is not the intention) it's my opinion so if I'm so ignorant in business then you shouldn't be bothered by what I state- afterall, what do I know. It's not as though I'm going to put people off going there- I'm sure they will check the place out themselves.

If I showed the same "lack of knowledge" when speaking about transport issues then I wouldn't have been elected as transport convener in the first place, would I. I don't believe I need knowledge when suggesting that a business reduce their prices. If I'm saying something darastically wrong then please do correct me. Doesn't look like I'm the only one with the view of the prices being expensive, yet, it always seems to be my posts which are noted. If I'm so young and not as experienced as you adults, then fair enough, pick out my posts and criticise them because it's likely I will not have the knowledge to answer back.

No one is asking you to show me any mercy and whether you show it or not, that's your choice.

Good reply, well put.

Regarding your past criticism of local businesses - yes, it was the Taxi thread...well spotted. You showed the same lack of understanding there as you have in this thread.
    Bearing in mind your comment that you 'wouldn't have got elected if you didn't know what you were talking about' I'd like to refer you back to your original post in that thread:
    http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...highlight=taxi

You certainly didn't have a clue about the taxi business - did you? Or maybe you don't see Taxis as 'Transport'?

Whether you think that prices are too high in one shop is neither here nor there, that is not the point of my criticism - it is your one-size-fits-all whinge about local businesses' prices in general that grates.

As for having a go at you because of your inexperience...well, there's an easy way to avoid adverse comments - don't get involved. If you seriously want to make difference, Rfr, you'll have to get used to people blasting you when you criticise their livelihood.

Learn from it.

Good reply, well put.

Regarding your past criticism of local businesses - yes, it was the Taxi thread...well spotted. You showed the same lack of understanding there as you have in this thread.
    Bearing in mind your comment that you 'wouldn't have got elected if you didn't know what you were talking about' I'd like to refer you back to your original post in that thread:
    http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...highlight=taxi

You certainly didn't have a clue about the taxi business - did you? Or maybe you don't see Taxis as 'Transport'?

Whether you think that prices are too high in one shop is neither here nor there, that is not the point of my criticism - it is your one-size-fits-all whinge about local businesses' prices in general that grates.

As for having a go at you because of your inexperience...well, there's an easy way to avoid adverse comments - don't get involved. If you seriously want to make difference, Rfr, you'll have to get used to people blasting you when you criticise their livelihood.

Learn from it.
    Well with regards to taxis, I did not have to have a clue about the taxi business to know that I am not happy that charges for taxi drivers were being increased when many (not all) do not deserve to be entitled to higher wages if they are seen smoking in taxis, speeding frequently when they are responsible for passengers (and yes, I have been in a taxi enough times to realise that they speed on a regular basis). Some may well deserve higher wages but definitely not all. Anyway my argument on that has finished. As for the your "one size fits all" comment- this is not the case. I quite happily eat at Morag's on a regular basis without putting a hole in the pocket. If it was a one size fits all basis then you'd see a heck of a lot more posts from me on here. When something stands out amongst all others- yes I will state this and have every right to do so. If something concerns me or disappoints me then I will voice my opinion and it often will be a strong opinion so you either take it and ignore me or complain and carry on listening to my comments there after. I am very much used to people "blasting" me. If I wasn't, I would have given up a long time ago but until someone can totally convince me to change my opinion then on and on I go.

..."Any idiot can criticise price, food quality, service standards, etc without having to learn a great deal about the topic."...
    You condemn youself with your own words.
    You haven't sampled the offerings in the establishment, by your own admismision, and yet you offer your unfounded opinions.
    I think if you spent less time waffling on these message boards, possibly your grades might benefit!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast