Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: new restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by chamb View Post
    wouldnt say sutherlands was local maybe a local cash an carry for goods all over
    Sutherland's are as local as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Had a lovely meal here at lunch time on Saturday,can't understand any one complaining about prices we had 2 main meals,lovely helpings and REAL chips,soft drink,hot chocolate and a pot of tea only came to £17 which is what I would expect to pay for a lunch menu.The menu is a bit dearer for night time but its fine to go out for a meal in nice surrendings and not in a pub.They also do a carryout menu.
    P.S.They use all local produce
    Were the chips made from real caithnessian tatties and where are the tea plantations and cocoa farms situated?

Angry

..."We were going to go in yesterday but took one look at the prices in the window and swiftly moved on to Somerfield, bought some food and cooked it for lunch ourselves.

Apparently the food is good but with the meals ranging from £ 4-5 for a starter and £7-12 for a main course, I'd rather cook my own meals. I don't mind paying a lot if the food is great and good quality products used but it would make more sense to have cheaper options as well for those not leading an upper class life. Maybe the Queen will pop in if she comes up again."...

Maybe the Queen will, but until you try it for yourself, I think you should keep your comments to yourself. Slagging off a local business just starting off, without trying it, is a bit counter productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    Maybe the Queen will, but until you try it for yourself, I think you should keep your comments to yourself. Slagging off a local business just starting off, without trying it, is a bit counter productive.
    The problem that Restaurateurs have in Caithness is in choosing their target customer base.

If they want to go cheap and cheerful, they'll have to use the cheaper suppliers and thus compromise their output. Fair enough, that's the way it goes.

If they want to put quality to the forefront, thus foregoing the mother-and-toddler brigade, and focus on the type of customer that prefers quality ingredients cooked by skilled professionals and presented and delivered by trained individuals, they have to charge a price that reflects it. Profits have to be made after all.

Unfortunately in Caithness, the most important recommendation for any restaurant is "Aye, and what a plateful we got!"

Quality without quantity means nothing here. Indeed, quantity means a damn sight more.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

i was there on friday for lunch and cant say i was very impressed. the chips were underdone and the pasta was overdone portions very average size and the menu has nothing unique on it. very similar in content to the harbour cafe but not even close in quality.
    i also think the wick or caithness in general would have benefitted from something a wee bit different to the norm.

just another average cafe in my opinion

Had a lovely lunch in there on Friday-thought it was quite reasonably priced for the size of portion.Coffee was lovely and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    ..."We were going to go in yesterday but took one look at the prices in the window and swiftly moved on to Somerfield, bought some food and cooked it for lunch ourselves.

Apparently the food is good but with the meals ranging from £ 4-5 for a starter and £7-12 for a main course, I'd rather cook my own meals. I don't mind paying a lot if the food is great and good quality products used but it would make more sense to have cheaper options as well for those not leading an upper class life. Maybe the Queen will pop in if she comes up again."...

Once the prices have dropped a couple of pounds, I will drop in and try it out- don't worry. But until then home made cooked lunches will do me fine

Thumbs down

We went with the kids on Saturday, we waited close to 45mins as you can imagine the kids started playing up by this time.
    The food came and i must say it was extremely average, the vegetables were cold and wet.
    The prices do not reflect the standard.
    On Sunday we ordered pizza's for the kids dinner, we phoned the order in and was told 30 minutes, which is fine. The wife went down to collect and waited another 40 mins! the staff were saying that it takes so long because its made from scratch!
    if they know it takes a long time to make why don't they tell the truth when you order?
    When we got the pizza's the toppings were very sparse and about 2 inches from the edge of the pizza.
    i really hope they improve as the town needs it.
    Scottish by birth, British by law,Highlander by the grace of God.

Quote Originally Posted by plutonio View Post
    We went with the kids on Saturday, we waited close to 45mins as you can imagine the kids started playing up by this time.
    The food came and i must say it was extremely average, the vegetables were cold and wet.
    The prices do not reflect the standard.
    On Sunday we ordered pizza's for the kids dinner, we phoned the order in and was told 30 minutes, which is fine. The wife went down to collect and waited another 40 mins! the staff were saying that it takes so long because its made from scratch!
    if they know it takes a long time to make why don't they tell the truth when you order?
    When we got the pizza's the toppings were very sparse and about 2 inches from the edge of the pizza.
    i really hope they improve as the town needs it.

Should have gone to Pizza Hut Express

Oh no wait.. we don't have one

Default New Restaraunt

do you all have to be so negative. In this time of doom and gloom we need more positive thinking and less of the defeatest attitude. out of all these posts did anyone care to wish the new venture luck?

well i hope it suceeds, and as for pricing the food its dog-eat-dog out there in the business world every firm for itself. At the end of the day if the prices make the profit then thats a result. There can never be too many places to eat and too much competition. It's a local business and thats something we should support. Who cares if the "co-op van" was dropping stuff off, stop trying to build a mountain out of a mole hill.

Rant over. (i think ive been watching one too many election speeches)

Good luck Caledonia
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    The problem that Restaurateurs have in Caithness is in choosing their target customer base.

If they want to put quality to the forefront, thus foregoing the mother-and-toddler brigade, and focus on the type of customer that prefers quality ingredients cooked by skilled professionals and presented and delivered by trained individuals, they have to charge a price that reflects it. Profits have to be made after all.
    So mothers and toddlers dont want quality food ???? What a generalisation to make metalattakk
    Avoid biting when a simple growl will do

over 50 posts and 3,700 has viewed thread on a new restaurant opening ,in wick
    good PR job,orgers should getdiscount ,

This is a brand new business and it's being ripped to shreds on here already, way to go. There have been plenty of complaints that Wick town centre is on it's last legs with boarded up buildings and such, yet, when someone tries to start a venture to help it regenerate, what do they get for their all trouble? A guy with a pin to burst their bubble. Cheers Burt, for the lyric.
    Let Wick die on it's feet then all those with nothing better to do than complain will lose their direction in life.

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    rfr you have a real bee in yer bonnet about this - ask if they have a children's menu - perhaps that would be cheaper!
    Oh my goodness. I nearly wet myself laughing at this post.
    After five kids its not good for me to laugh too much.

Quote Originally Posted by rfr10 View Post
    Once the prices have dropped a couple of pounds, I will drop in and try it out- don't worry. But until then home made cooked lunches will do me fine
    Ask your mum, I am sure she would increase your pocket money if you asked nicely.

with at least 3 chippies, 4 chinese, 2 indian, 7 restaurants/hotels......does anyone in wick ever cook there own dinner

this town is like a drive threw now place your order on the way in pick it up when passing then eat it up on the way out

Default new restuarant wick

How can families afford this eating out - better going to the local butcher and growing your own vegetables in this day and age how can one afford all this luxury eating? Surely it would make more sense and be more economic to go to the butcher and have nice fresh meat,

Quote Originally Posted by rfr10 View Post
    eating out is a luxury, maybe, if you dont already have one, you should get a job.
    then you will have enough pennies to go in. its a big bad world and (particularly at the moment) these things cost. take a walk around the street and see what everyone else is charging.

i thought the prices were very reasonable, the menu was good and the food was damn good.
    you dont look at the mantle when ur pokin the fire

Quote Originally Posted by ak1 View Post
    with at least 3 chippies, 4 chinese, 2 indian, 7 restaurants/hotels......does anyone in wick ever cook there own dinner
    they should all be closed down. hard working people should not be allowed to take it easy once in a while and have some take away food.
    you dont look at the mantle when ur pokin the fire

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast