Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: new restaurant

Thumbs down

theres been plenty previews but not one response from someone who was in and had a meal tony

I was there yesterday and the food was excellent. Prices were on a par with the Harbour Cafe, so not too bad. In my opinion, the tables were maybe a bit too crammed in. Older staff were very pleasant and helpful. Younger staff just learning the ropes and will improve with a few weeks experience. Surroundings were very nice and a good compromise between a day-to-day cafe and a formal restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    I had to do it for a nursing home and I only gave them 100% fresh supplies that came from local suppliers.(made my own bread,Ice cream,chips etc as most were on strict diets and I prefer 100%)
    I was on a mega tight budget but did a deal with the Butcher that I would use him exclusively and he was brilliant with us. Bought my fish every friday from the blackstairs and they did me a good deal and double checked for small bones for the old folk.
    Couldnt praise George harper or the fish shop any higher as they appreciated the business I put their way and were always fair with their prices.(even undercut the supermarkets!)
    Bought alot of my dry goods from Sutherland bros to keep things local.
    If I could do it in a non-profit way then so can a business who actually charge for their food!!!

As I said i wish any new local business luck and hope that they stay local.
    wouldnt say sutherlands was local maybe a local cash an carry for goods all over

Harrold Bros butchers made a delivery whilst I was sitting eating my meal.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    Hope yer know thinking of a chippie!! Whats wrong with Mrs Zapp's chips?
    im refusing to reply to that comment for fear of shootin masell in the foot!!haha

Unfortunatly didn't go but went past at about 10 last night and there was a few kids in for takeaways, the bit with tables had a few in as well.

I agree that they should be using local produce if at all possible, especially our fantastic meat that we produce in Caithness. I can remember going to a hotel here for an expensive meal and being served the toughest piece of steak I have ever eaten - it was certainly not local. Will not be eating there again so they've lost our custom.

We were going to go in yesterday but took one look at the prices in the window and swiftly moved on to Somerfield, bought some food and cooked it for lunch ourselves.

Apparently the food is good but with the meals ranging from £ 4-5 for a starter and £7-12 for a main course, I'd rather cook my own meals. I don't mind paying a lot if the food is great and good quality products used but it would make more sense to have cheaper options as well for those not leading an upper class life. Maybe the Queen will pop in if she comes up again.

Thumbs up lovely meal

Had a lovely meal here at lunch time on Saturday,can't understand any one complaining about prices we had 2 main meals,lovely helpings and REAL chips,soft drink,hot chocolate and a pot of tea only came to £17 which is what I would expect to pay for a lunch menu.The menu is a bit dearer for night time but its fine to go out for a meal in nice surrendings and not in a pub.They also do a carryout menu.
    P.S.They use all local produce

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Had a lovely meal here at lunch time on Saturday,can't understand any one complaining about prices we had 2 main meals,lovely helpings and REAL chips,soft drink,hot chocolate and a pot of tea only came to £17 which is what I would expect to pay for a lunch menu.The menu is a bit dearer for night time but its fine to go out for a meal in nice surrendings and not in a pub.They also do a carryout menu.
    P.S.They use all local produce
    A BIT dearer? It's a GREAT BIT dearer. Maybe they should cut their portion sizes down then and charge less to prevent people taking a glance at their menu and seeing that the cheapest evening meal they can get is £7 and starters only beginning at £4. Their food may well be great but if they want to attract people with the average income on a regular basis, they would have to cut their prices down. Especially being a new restaurant. They should open with reasonable prices to begin with and then once they have attracted many customers, increase their prices gradually so that people will know exactly what the food is like first of all.

Default new restaurant

Hi, have you checked out the prices in the local hotels at night time lately?How can you possibly say they should keep prices low and them put them up Gosh that would be a talking point then.give them a chance they have only opened

Compared to the price of the Mackay's Hotel evening menu the new Caledonia place sounds quite reasonable.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Hi, have you checked out the prices in the local hotels at night time lately?How can you possibly say they should keep prices low and them put them up Gosh that would be a talking point then.give them a chance they have only opened
    Well that's why people tend to maybe eat at hotels for maybe a special occasion. Being a restaurant (not a world famous Gordon Ramsay standards restaurant), especially in a small town, it may attract people occasionally but I doubt there will be any "regulars" Having high prices, newly opened isn't exactly a good starting point is it? Depends what you look at most really, is it the money or is it the quality of the food. I wouldn't mind paying higher prices for excellent quality food but is it honestly that good. Are they using as much local produce as they could or is most of it from supermarkets? Maybe that's why it's so expensive, because they are using local products but that would be one in a million. Were there any special offers for their first week or was it straight in at high prices. Do the portions need to be the size they are? Is there no possible way at all that they could even take a couple of £ of the price. Then again, I can't complain until I taste the food. I was looking forward to trying out their food at the weekend but took one look at the prices and that was enough to put me off. Who am I to say though, maybe they are one of the best restaurants in the Highlands and have every right to be charging the prices they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    Compared to the price of the Mackay's Hotel evening menu the new Caledonia place sounds quite reasonable.
    Yes but any place's prices would look reasonable to Mackay's

rfr you have a real bee in yer bonnet about this - ask if they have a children's menu - perhaps that would be cheaper!

I'm all for eating out and don't mind paying good money for good food but one thign I won't have when I'm out is steak, not even upper deck version because I truly believe I can cook a better steak at home.

Default schoolkids special

aye rfr you can try the school lunch time special only £1.90 and you get a juice too

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    rfr you have a real bee in yer bonnet about this - ask if they have a children's menu - perhaps that would be cheaper!
    Excellent idea! Hopefully it caters for over 16s

Yes, bees often get stuck in my bonnet and can remain there for some time before it eventually stings me in the head and escapes.

aye rfr you can try the school lunch time special only £1.90 and you get a juice too
    Now what would the lunch time special be? A cheese sandwich, a packet of crisps and a drink? That's what it usually is

we had a takeaway from it on saturday
    thought the takeout menu was quite cheap
    homemade chips were quite good to

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast