Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: new restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    ..."Any idiot can criticise price, food quality, service standards, etc without having to learn a great deal about the topic."...
    You condemn youself with your own words.
    You haven't sampled the offerings in the establishment, by your own admismision, and yet you offer your unfounded opinions.
    I think if you spent less time waffling on these message boards, possibly your grades might benefit!

Ive been reading the posts by both northener and rfr10 and fair dues to them both they have good opinions on the matter and quite rightly so as this "a message board" and opinions are welcolmed. I felt i must comment on you post Aaldtimer i really didnt agree with your comment about their grades suffering. To be honest that persons grades has nothing what so ever to do with you and is not even the topic of conversation. The topic however is about the new restaurant so maybe keep to that.

rant over.

RFR., you state that your comments are not a 'one-size-fits-all' swipe against local businesses and that you are merely pointing out that you are not happy with the prices in just one restaurant.

If this is the case, could you explain this post by your good self?

Quote Originally Posted by rfr10 View Post
    Well very true but haven't most the local shops, etc been complaining because major retaillers are taking over Wick? If their prices are competitive then they should have nothing to worry about but if they are offering goods at higher prices then it's their fault. I'm not saying this new restaurant has complained about the competition but local shops in general. Yes, we should support our local retailers but how can we possibly do this if their prices are as high as the clouds in the sky?
    Hoisted on your own petard. Engage brain before engaging keyboard. QED.

This will be my last comment on this thread, not because I am taking my bat home, but because we are starting to go way off topic - even by my standards.
    If you'd like to discuss local businesses and why they should be able to compete with multi-million pound companies (in your opinion), or even kick about the concept that taxi drivers are not worthy of a pay rise. (Do you know how much they are paid? Maybe as a member of a group concerned with transport issues you ought to find out a little bit about what you purport to champion), then please open another thread.
    Last edited by northener; 13-Nov-08 at 21:36. Reason: should be hoisted ON...not by......

Quote Originally Posted by trix View Post
    well, il no be goin in anyway...an its got nothin til do wi 'e prices!
    Doubt you will be alone.. I feel the same for 1!

Quote Originally Posted by trix View Post
    well, il no be goin in anyway...an its got nothin til do wi 'e prices!
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd View Post
    Doubt you will be alone.. I feel the same for 1!
    Do these posts belong in the cryptic crossword thread?

Telfordstar, you may feel free to disagree...and I'll feel just as free to ignore your complaint. You obviously haven't read ALL the thread.

I think smaller meals is partly an age thing. I much prefer smaller meals (I have age ) but I also like quality. The meal has to be good. I tried the new restaurant today for a late lunch snack. The staff were very friendly and pleasant and it was a nice atmosphere. I didn't want a full meal so had a BLT roll and a coffee. The BLT came with a portion of salad and coleslaw, the coleslaw was not very nice and the salad looked like it had been sat in a tub for a while. I am seldom happy with side salads which come as part of a meal though. (fussy, fussy) The coffee was indeed good and I would have it again. The BLT was fine, the bacon was crispy (that's how I like it) and there was lettuce and tomato and the roll had been toasted which I hadn't expected but didn't mind. I think it cost £3.70 which I though very reasonable for a lunch snack.

Whilst there I looked at the evening menu. I felt that the menu was pretty average with nothing exciting or different on it. Meals you could get anywhere in fact. They do use Mey Selection beef though and other local ingredients. I also thought that the Mey Selection steak was a very good price at £12.50. You are looking nearer £20 for a steak at Scrabster.

Maybe we will be in Wick one evening and try it - I would like to see if they do a good steak.

They could do with taking down the dreadful hand written notice which they have up in the window though! Surely they must know someone who can produce a poster saying that they use Mey Selections and local produce! Probably Mey Selections would provide one for them. I guess they have seen this thread, hence the hasty notice.
    Last edited by Dorrie; 13-Nov-08 at 19:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    Telfordstar, you may feel free to disagree...and I'll feel just as free to ignore your complaint. You obviously haven't read ALL the thread.

I have read the thread all of it seems like a touch of bullying to me but hey thats just my opinion.

I took a couple of relatives to the new restaurant on Saturday to 'try it out' so to speak.

I have nothing negative to say about this restaurant. We tried it on Saturday and I was really impressed. The surroundings were clean and comfortable and the decor was lovely.
    My granny had mince and tatties - a basic meal you might say but boy oh boy the cook knows how to make mince and tatties. My grannies sister was a brilliant cook and this mince and tatties matched hers.
    My mum had steak and ale pie which she said was delicious and a generous helping too.
    I had fish and chips which was as good as the fish and chips I had in a restaurant in Fort Augustus (and that was my favourite)

We immediately made a booking for tonight because it was my grannies birthday. When we arrived, our table was ready and all set out. I had the haggis and whisky and onion gravy starter, my mum had garlic mushrooms with side salad. For main courses I had sirloin sreak with garlic sauce, my mum and granny had roast beef with yorkshire pudding. For deserts we had a banoffee pie (which came in a tall glass and was well presented) and a bananna split (delicious but huge) We really enjoyed our meal.
    The presentation of the food is excellent and the vegetables are slightly firm as they should be (not a boiled mush that you get in so many places)
    Home made chips too (sadly lacking in even the best of restaurants these days)
    Price wise - much the same as most of the restaurants I visit on my travels.
    The lunch time menu is cheaper, obviously because it is quite different from the evening menu.

My bill tonight was £52.00. That was for 2 starters, 3 main courses, 2 sweets, a wine, a beer and a pot of tea.
    We were in an Indian restaurant in Edinburgh a few weeks ago and the bill was £85.00 just for 2 starters and 3 mains with 2 beers and myself and my partner were in a restaurant in Lancashire a couple of weeks ago and the bill was £60 for a 3 course meal with wine for 2 people so the Caledonian is not expensive but quite average prices for the quality of food served.

When we were in on Saturday, Harolds butchers brought in a delivery so obviously local shops are providing food.

No complaints about prices. If I wanted a cheap sarnie I would go to a cafe.

My family and I will definitely be using this restaurant regularly at lunch time and occasionally in the evening. There aren't many places in Wick to go to enjoy an evening meal.

Smile thank you pulteney person

Its nice to see more and more people coming back, hope your champagne made your night. See you all again soon

was in last night and had the steak and can honestly say it is one of the best steaks i have ever had and for £12.95 i think it is really good value for money so rfr the prices are not too expensive i feel that that is cheap for steak

Thumbs up caledonia steaks

Was in last night and had steak as well and it was very very tasty, definitely worth every bit of £12.50 would have been happy to pay more
    Home made chips not frozen rubbish and and the coleslaw is a must.Will be going back soon.
    I'm in shape. Round is a shape isn't it?

we went in for lunch today and had to wait 45 to be served! not even a sorry from any of the staff.
    Won't be going back
    Scottish by birth, British by law,Highlander by the grace of God.

Default New Restauarant

Perhaps they were ever so busy that you had to wait 45 minutes? Perhaps as they are new to the scene they have not quite got their act together so one must have patience as time will tell.However, more important was your meal good and worth the money?

Default My Opinion

cant say we were impressed with the place, my hubby and I went in while visiting wick lat week, very plain nothing exciting, staff didnt have a smile between them.

My hubby had a breakfast and I had a chicken mayo wrap, it took ages, and there was
    only another couple in having a coffee? so we finely got our food, and it was tastless, and well not great.

I would say never going back will be going to the harbour cafe its great, and loads o choice.

I aint to bothered if anyone has a problem with what I say, its an OPINION and thats all

I was in for as meal the other evening and found it very clean and comfortable. I was even given a meal which was not on the menu, so very good service. the meal was good, and with home made chips, very nice and the price was good. I for one will be going back. Also, so nice to get a pot of tea instead of just a mug.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Thumbs up

Was in last sunday for lunch and it was lovely..

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456