Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: new restaurant

Default new restaurant

I see the new restaurant in Bridge Street, Wick opens up at 7.30. this morning, wednesday. Is it going to be busy at that time of day? I dont think so, but I wish them luck with their new venture.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    I see the new restaurant in Bridge Street, Wick opens up at 7.30. this morning, wednesday. Is it going to be busy at that time of day? I dont think so, but I wish them luck with their new venture.
    Saw the co-op delivery van delivering the other day, I just hope they are using local suppliers as opposed to supermarkets! Our local shops could do with the business.

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    Saw the co-op delivery van delivering the other day, I just hope they are using local suppliers as opposed to supermarkets! Our local shops could do with the business.

do you think a new business can afford to say lets use local produce(becausethey need the money) instead of the superstore ??????? i think not,

Quote Originally Posted by riggerboy View Post
    do you think a new business can afford to say lets use local produce(becausethey need the money) instead of the superstore ??????? i think not,
    Maybe not but shouldnt ALL local business' support each other?
    After all what is the point of going to a restaurant if they are going to serve the same quality of meat that we can all buy (at cheap prices).
    Business' shouldnt use supermarkets as they are there for the consumer not the retailer.
    At the end of the day you can get a great deal from your local butcher,fish shop etc as I know I did when i ran kitchens. The meat and fish was local and got a great deal, and at least i could state the origin of my products, which is very important to the consumer.

I am not trying to put a dampner on any new business, just hope that they support local business' and dont resort to buying cut price food from supermarkets that alot of business' do. I would certainly pay extra if I knew it was going back into the local business' as opposed to shareholders dividends and I am not alone in that.

Its a romantic thought to use Local businesses to supply them, but the fact of life goes with............... if u running a business you are trying to make money, so the cheapest wins regardless of where it comes from, and thats the way it should be.

Nice looking inside too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjjuk View Post
    Its a romantic thought to use Local businesses to supply them, but the fact of life goes with............... if u running a business you are trying to make money, so the cheapest wins regardless of where it comes from, and thats the way it should be.

Nice looking inside too.
    No it is not romantic it is sensible! So you are saying you would rather see local suppliers out of business? I would rather spend my money in a business where, like Hotrod says, they can tell me where the raw materials for their cooking came from! You get what you pay for!

Spoke to a few people today who said they were put off going in because of the high prices. Mind you if the food is good I wouldn't mind paying a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjjuk View Post

Nice looking inside too.
    I had to do it for a nursing home and I only gave them 100% fresh supplies that came from local suppliers.(made my own bread,Ice cream,chips etc as most were on strict diets and I prefer 100%)
    I was on a mega tight budget but did a deal with the Butcher that I would use him exclusively and he was brilliant with us. Bought my fish every friday from the blackstairs and they did me a good deal and double checked for small bones for the old folk.
    Couldnt praise George harper or the fish shop any higher as they appreciated the business I put their way and were always fair with their prices.(even undercut the supermarkets!)
    Bought alot of my dry goods from Sutherland bros to keep things local.
    If I could do it in a non-profit way then so can a business who actually charge for their food!!!

As I said i wish any new local business luck and hope that they stay local.

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    No it is not romantic it is sensible! So you are saying you would rather see local suppliers out of business? I would rather spend my money in a business where, like Hotrod says, they can tell me where the raw materials for their cooking came from! You get what you pay for!
    Hey, I agree with u, calm down I was just playing devils advocate. Like hotrod says if u dabble and chat to people in the town, u can get a good rate.

Just thought people was getting at the new restaurant because of a coop truck, which was unfair.

LOL! I am perfectly calm! Just keen on decent nosh beig prepared and served wherever! Better all round!

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    I had to do it for a nursing home and I only gave them 100% fresh supplies that came from local suppliers.(made my own bread,Ice cream,chips etc as most were on strict diets and I prefer 100%)
    I was on a mega tight budget but did a deal with the Butcher that I would use him exclusively and he was brilliant with us. Bought my fish every friday from the blackstairs and they did me a good deal and double checked for small bones for the old folk.
    Couldnt praise George harper or the fish shop any higher as they appreciated the business I put their way and were always fair with their prices.(even undercut the supermarkets!)
    Bought alot of my dry goods from Sutherland bros to keep things local.
    If I could do it in a non-profit way then so can a business who actually charge for their food!!!

As I said i wish any new local business luck and hope that they stay local.
    Well done Hotrod - that is the way it should be!

anyone been in yet..if so..fit leks the grub?
    is it like a chippy or pizza place?

I was wondering too, looking forward to the first review of the 'Caledonia Restaurant' on the Org!
    Last edited by Julia; 06-Nov-08 at 18:43.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Quote Originally Posted by zappster View Post
    anyone been in yet..if so..fit leks the grub?
    is it like a chippy or pizza place?
    Hope yer know thinking of a chippie!! Whats wrong with Mrs Zapp's chips?

Ihave to agree with HotRod you can if you shop around have the best of both world you can strike a good deal with local suppliers where you will get better quality produce which in turn if cooked and prepared well will produce good profits.
    IMO customer will pay a fair of high price for good food and pleasent surroundings
    I wish the new venture well and hope they attain the customer base they need
    Live and let live
    Life is too short

I know that I would rather pay a bit more and have a meal that I enjoyed and was therefore special. This makes eating out a pleasure and I think a lot of the fast food places that don't use quality ingredients such as local ingredients don't supply the pleasure. I hope it is a good restaurant as we will go and try it if we hear good reports.

There's definately a time & place for both - cheaper take-away grub is OK sometimes but, certainly when sitting in, it's much nicer having fresh ingredients, and we shouldn't mind paying a bit for the better quality.

I wouldn't mind paying extra for food that was good quality has anyone been in yet?? I might go in on Saturday

Any reviews yet?

I cannot use the place being umpteen miles away, but it's good to hear so many positive comments coming from the locals, points to the new venture having every chance,good luck.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast