Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Hallowe'en Memories

Default Hallowe'en Memories

Another story for the grandchildren .

All day long we spoke about what we were going to dress up as, and which houses we would visit. We had planned to meet our friends as soon as we’d had our tea. Tea would be a quick one that night. Likely soup followed by something cold, fried tatties, and a pudding.
    Before we’d finished eating there would be a knock at the door and there, all dressed up, would be a friend or two, willing to recite a poem or sing, for a few pennies and some sweeties.
    How exciting it all was. This was Hallowe’en.

‘Hurry up and finish your tea’ said mum, as we gulped the last bit and drank our milk.
    The outfit would have been all prepared and set out the night before, so now it was time to change. ‘ Remember to put something warm underneath’ said mum ‘Or you’ll freeze ‘
    I pulled on my aunt’s old dress and felt the soft velvet warm against my cheek. It was far too long, so we hunted around for a narrow scarf which was tied around my waist and with the dress pulled up and over I was able to walk. I was beginning to feel good in my outfit. Next came the hat, it was now a paler shade of royal blue because it had faded over several summers, but I loved it and with a bright pink ribbon and feather it was just right with the dress. On top of this went the shawl, real Shetland wool with stripes and a lacey stitch which made the stripes go wavey, I think this stitch was called ‘Feather and Shell’ grannie was trying to teach me how to knit this popular pattern, but I was struggling with it .
    Next was the crowning glory, several strings of beads in all shades and colours. The red Poppets had been given to me the Christmas before and the blue ones I bought with my birthday money from Woolworths for six pence . Mum gave me some of hers too, so I had lots of beads dangling round my neck. Mum then put some lipstick on me and let me borrow her high-heeled shoes, and I wobbled around the room, gazing at my image in the mirror and felt I was ready to go round the doors.
    My friend was already waiting at the door for me, she too was all dressed up and looking good. Off we set down the road each of us carrying a handbag big enough to carry all our goodies home in.
    First stop was grannie’s where we knocked on the door and waited. ‘I wonder who this is?’ said grannie looking puzzled. ‘What are ye going to do for me then?’ We didn’t need to be asked a second time, and burst forth into song. One after the other till grannie took out her purse and gave us each threepence, some fudge and an apple ! She said she was delighted with our singing and urged us to go on to the house next door. This was auntie’s house, so we knocked, and out she came and asked what we were going to do ? We sang some more, and were delighted to be given another threepence and more sweeties.

Further along the street we went, knocking on the doors, singing and accepting more pennies and sweeties. This was great fun, but soon it was time to go back home again.
    Once inside we had a hot drink, counted our pennies, and then we all gathered round the big bath in the kitchen and began dooking for apples. How we laughed and giggled, water dripping from our noses as we came up with another apple. Once dried off again it was time for the Treacle scones, which were hanging from a line across the kitchen. Up and down we jumped trying to bite the scones, treacle dripping from our chins but after a quick wipe with the towel we would set off again after another bite !
    Soon we were dried off and cleaned up and we sat around listening to the stories and the singing.
    An uncle always recited ‘MacAllister’… The peats are burning bright, gather round them in a ring and I will tell you of the night I…….that was followed by ‘The Ghost of the Hill of Forss’ and ‘Broth on e Sunday’ How we loved it all.

All too soon it was time for bed, taking off the beautiful clothes and washing our faces. But we had plenty pennies jingling in our bags and a pile of sweeties to keep us going for days ! We slept well on Hallowe’en night with memories to last for many long years.

Thumbs up

What a charming story Trinkie. I was transported back to another time whilst reading it.

Thank you.

That certainly does bring back a few memories, trinkie -thank you for your story!

Thanks for that Trinkie, it certainly brought back loads of happy Halloween memories. I loved the bit about poppets. I haven't heard of them for years.

Trinkie, a great wee tale, and in the true spirit of Guising, the memories you have stirred, Thank you.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    I loved the bit about poppets. I haven't heard of them for years.
    Me too, Venture. I'd forgotten all about them. I absolutely yearned for my own poppets and used to badger my Mum for some, but I think I had to make do with borrowing hers for special occasions!

Default Poppet beads

Maybe I was just lucky because I had a couple of strands of poppets in differnet colours and I loved to customise them by changing the colour combinations. Mind you, after too much fiddling about with them they'd keep falling apart...
    Poppets were so cool - or maybe I should say 'hip'!

Default Hallowe'en

Thank you for all your kind words - much appreciated.

Last night we had a little party for our grandchildren and kept all the old traditions - well, perhaps not quite, as I hung a string of ring doughnuts instead of treacle scones, across the kitchen. But the fun was the same, and so were the sticky cheeks and noses ! Of course we dooked for apples and sliced the bowl of flour with the match in it !
    We spoke about other parties the youngsters are going to and hunted for some outfits for them. Imagine my Street Cred going up when a teenage grandson asked if I had anything Hippie for him to wear - Well Of Course I had plenty!! ( I still wear them !) We all thought it so sad when folk go out to buy an outfit - doesn't it take all the fun from the occasion, not to mention one's creativity and Mother of Invention spirit !
    I hope you all have a great time and make a little memory for the young folk to remember.

Trinkie
    PS Before eight this morning a neighbour popped over to ask if I had a Witches Hat - but of course complete with purple hair , and she was welcome to borrow it !

Thanks for the memories Trinkie.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho