Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maple soup

Default Maple soup

A Canadian is someone who can make love in a canoe without capsizing.

My friend Canuck does not think much of that defintion but we are both agreed that there seems to be a certain amount of curiosity in the Org about Canada and about the connections between the north of Scotland and your neighbour to the west.

For the next few weeks - if you can stand it! - we are standing ready to answer your questions about Canada.

We have no pretensions to omniscience and are probably just as likely to put our foot in it as are you Brits when asked probing questions about the Westminster government.

So there will not be a test!

But it might be fun.

Here's the prospectus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zjoO170XFI
    Richard Sutherland

Why do they call Canadians, Hose-heads?

I believe it was coined in a movie that was made by some of the Comedians from "The Second City". Many top Comedians/actors came out of there - especially in the 80s.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Hmm thought this was gonna be a minging recipe! Love maple syrup but thought in soup? Nah! OK I will ask "Second City"?

O.K. then so what does moose taste like and do they spend all their lives in lonely bogs trying to avoid hunters and motor vehicles or are they really party animals?

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I believe it was coined in a movie that was made by some of the Comedians from "The Second City". Many top Comedians/actors came out of there - especially in the 80s.
    Tristan,
    Like this? Interesting

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=doQC1l...eature=related
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

PS Rich - Canuck might be too much of a lady to like yer definition but I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    It was an improv. group that changed all the time. Some singing, some acting but very funny. At the time when Second City was formed Toronto was the second city to Montreal and Chicago was the second city to New York. It eventually became a TV show in Canada and as I said some popular comedian/actors graced the screens for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Errogie View Post
    O.K. then so what does moose taste like and do they spend all their lives in lonely bogs trying to avoid hunters and motor vehicles or are they really party animals?
    It has been a long time since I had moose so I can't comment. There is the old urban myth (although Ms T says she knows someone who it happened to) where a moose comes down on the road during rutting season. The annoyed driver honks his horn to scare the moose off. The moose hears the horn and thinks it is another moose competing for a mate. After the battle the moose walked away....not much left of the car.

So moose is tough then?

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    It was an improv. group that changed all the time. Some singing, some acting but very funny. At the time when Second City was formed Toronto was the second city to Montreal and Chicago was the second city to New York. It eventually became a TV show in Canada and as I said some popular comedian/actors graced the screens for years.
    Similar to our Fringe here in Edinburgh Tristan, many of our Brit so called comedians cut their first teeth in a similar fashion
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Question

Is French or English more commonly spoken?

Is the English you speak the same as the way Americans speak it or is it closer to real English?

Do you have a animosity towards the Americans and why?

What would you say to someone who was considering moving to Canada to convince them to do so?

Is the wildlife as amazing as we are led to believe?

Can't think of anything else I would like to know
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Similar to our Fringe here in Edinburgh Tristan, many of our Brit so called comedians cut their first teeth in a similar fashion
    Same free spirit way of working. I guess the main difference is/was The Second City was open year round and they later ran a comedy/improv school.

Quote Originally Posted by mccaugm View Post
    Is French or English more commonly spoken?

Is the English you speak the same as the way Americans speak it or is it closer to real English?

Do you have a animosity towards the Americans and why?

What would you say to someone who was considering moving to Canada to convince them to do so?

Is the wildlife as amazing as we are led to believe?

Can't think of anything else I would like to know
    It is a very multicultural county.

Although their are two official languages English is the dominant language. French is mostly spoken in Quebec. The east coast has the largest Gaelic population outside of Scotland. The Parries have a large Ukrainian speaking population.

The English is Canadian...grin. Spellings are for the most part from the British and the accent is softer than the American one.

Most Canadians love Americans it is America they can't stand - America can be seen as being a bit pushy, big money, big media and Canadians have always fought against that to keep their identity.

It is a fantastic "new" country. The cities are clean and safe with lots to offer, better standard of living (most things are much cheaper there), and the scenery is on a much larger scale than in Britain. High on the UN list too.

The wildlife is amazing. I remember driving along the Glacier Parkway, between Banff and Jasper and seeing well Glaciers, brown bears, mountain sheep, Elk. It was amazing.
    Last edited by Tristan; 29-Oct-08 at 00:47.

Does Canada wish to apologise for foisting Celine Dion on us?

Default Maple soup

I can see that this might be more difficult than I had anticipated.
    I have never (knowingly) eaten a moose and I manage to blank Celine Dion out of my mind at least most of the time.
    I am impressed by the number of Caithnessians who know Second City.
    So let's just say that I am working on this...
    Richard Sutherland

Default Moose Pie!

Here you are. Moose Pie!
    Other questions I am working on....
    http://www.jerrysbaitandtackle.com/R.../Moose/pie.htm
    Richard Sutherland

Default maple soup

On the trail of Hosers.
    Here's a definite clue.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6tiF...eature=related
    Richard Sutherland

How about this for Maple soup . Yes, It does have another vegetable in with it, but that is what makes it so good .

http://www.meditech.com/Cafe/recipes...ternutsoup.htm

Is French or English more commonly spoken? ...... No

Is the English you speak the same as the way Americans speak it or is it closer to real English?.....no

Do you have a animosity towards the Americans and why?.....no

What would you say to someone who was considering moving to Canada to convince them to do so?....no

Is the wildlife as amazing as we are led to believe?....no

Can't think of anything else I would like to know .....no

Does Canada wish to apologise for foisting Celine Dion on us?....yes
    VE7ADO A Thurso Loon

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast