Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Old Wick fishing boats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Old Wick fishing boats

The Morning Star WK27 arrivng into the harbour

Excellent picture, hopefully this thread can catch on like the one in general forum as there must be 100`s of good pics of the Wick boats, Ive a few- must get them up
    Cmey e Scorries

Default Wk 220

My dad used to do some deep sea angling years ago, I was clearing out some things and happened across this picture. WK 220 is the registration, I think..maybe 270.

it's a sair fecht

Love the pic jings00! Which lighthouse is it?

Maureen WK270 at Dunnet Head

Thanks P M...i thought it was Dunnet way...and for confirming the boat too.
    it's a sair fecht

An even longer shot, I fear, but in case anyone's still checking, here goes.

I was looking a boat up for a relative, who was checking it out for friends, so my information's come through a couple of people.

They were looking for information on the Lea-Rig, WK3, which they had as having Helmsdale connections (the Innes family) round about 1950. Checked the usual sites, starting with this one, Caithness Archive and Ships Nostalgia.

As far as I can see, WK3 is a Wick boat, 1968 to 1978, but WK331, also the Lea-Rig, was Helmsdale, registered to Hugh and James Innes and sold to Kirkwall in 1952. So far, so good, but the next bit has me confused. The story in the friends' family is that at some point she went down with nobody lost. No information on where or when, but the skipper was a McIntosh. I can't tie this in with anything else.

My relative's pretty good on the fishing and boats, but we're from the Thurso side and might be missing something. The other problem is that his friends got it from a relative who's well up in years and might be getting things confused (though most of the old chiels I knew were pretty sharp well into old age). Either way, we're stuck.

Does any of this ring a bell, or could anyone point me in the right direction to unravel this one?

Thanks,
    Stumpy

I realise this thread's pretty much fallen by the wayside (and like many others, I'm grateful to all the people that have shared so much information) but to follow up on my last post, my relative's now learned that his original source was confused. It was WK331, the Helmsdale Lea-Rig, but the McIntosh story was wrong (that's another story). Anyway, his friends now have the information they were looking for.