Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Wick fishing boats

Lizz According to Angus Martins book "The Ringnetters" The innovation of this design was with the building of the Falcon by J Miller in St Monance in 1922 for Campbelltown owners It should add she was built for ringnetting not seine netting as she was being used for in the picture
    I think the 3 men on the Mhari Bahns deck were Wullig Anderson in the bow Johners Sinclair beside the wheelhouse and Mike Miller aft
    All best
    Last edited by peter macdonald; 27-Jan-09 at 20:15.

Thanks Peter for the info on the mhari bhan,knew i could rely on you.i was just saying to tighsonas4 today that i thought that was johners standing at the wheelhouse.S.V.7.

Maid of Honour

Primula.

WK 30 is the Maid of Honour (2nd one)
    Date in WK registration:
    03/02/1950 - 05/03/1976
    Dimensions
    Draft:
    7.10ft
    Beam:
    16.40ft
    Length Over All:
    51.60ft
    Keel:
    47.50ft Tonnage
    Gross:
    24.90Ton
    Net:
    24.90Ton Builders
    Built in:
    Scalloway
    Date Built:
    Ports
    Home Port:
    Wick
    Date in Port:
    03/02/1950 - 05/03/1978
    Owner Name:
    J Carter H Carter D Carter W Bremner
    Skipper Name:
    J Carter
    Remarks:
    Sold to Pittenweem renamed Integrity
    Picture would be taken around 1971

WK97
    Primula (2nd one)
    Date in WK registration:
    10/07/1946 - 08/09/1980
    Dimensions
    Draft:
    7.00ft
    Beam:
    17.40ft
    Length Over All:
    55.00ft
    Keel:
    50.00ft Tonnage
    Gross:
    34.18Ton
    Net:
    34.18Ton
    Builders
    Built in:
    Peterhead
    Date Built:
    Ports
    Home Port:
    Thurso
    Date in Port:
    10/07/1946 - 10/19/1980
    Owner Name:
    A MacIntosh J Sinclair
    Skipper Name:
    A MacIntosh
    Remarks:
    Sold to Grimsby
    Looks to be nearly new in the picture

I think this photo was taken when she was handed over from the builders by the look of the people in white shirts and ties,and the young boys aboard.

Thumbs up

New website on wick boats.
    www.wkboats.co.uk

If anyone can help i would love to see a photo of the ALBAN WICK 222 Thank you

Last edited by Bradcon; 25-Mar-12 at 09:38.

Hello, long shot as 6 years have passed, anybody have any information or photos of Rose Valley WK51?

An even longer shot, I fear, but in case anyone's still checking, here goes.

I was looking a boat up for a relative, who was checking it out for friends, so my information's come through a couple of people.

They were looking for information on the Lea-Rig, WK3, which they had as having Helmsdale connections (the Innes family) round about 1950. Checked the usual sites, starting with this one, Caithness Archive and Ships Nostalgia.

As far as I can see, WK3 is a Wick boat, 1968 to 1978, but WK331, also the Lea-Rig, was Helmsdale, registered to Hugh and James Innes and sold to Kirkwall in 1952. So far, so good, but the next bit has me confused. The story in the friends' family is that at some point she went down with nobody lost. No information on where or when, but the skipper was a McIntosh. I can't tie this in with anything else.

My relative's pretty good on the fishing and boats, but we're from the Thurso side and might be missing something. The other problem is that his friends got it from a relative who's well up in years and might be getting things confused (though most of the old chiels I knew were pretty sharp well into old age). Either way, we're stuck.

Does any of this ring a bell, or could anyone point me in the right direction to unravel this one?

Thanks,
    Stumpy

I realise this thread's pretty much fallen by the wayside (and like many others, I'm grateful to all the people that have shared so much information) but to follow up on my last post, my relative's now learned that his original source was confused. It was WK331, the Helmsdale Lea-Rig, but the McIntosh story was wrong (that's another story). Anyway, his friends now have the information they were looking for.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123