Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wick fishing boats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

how could i forget be in time,skipper j sinclair

Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald View Post
    There were 2 Fisher Boys that Jimmy Bremner had ,the first one was built in Wick and was wrecked on Thurso beach in a gale in the early 1950s the second one was also built in Wick and was wrecked on Brimms Ness around 1956
    Choost wan "m" in Brims please, Peter!

From my old photos
    VE7ADO A Thurso Loon

Default Wick Fishing Boats

Quote Originally Posted by jock leith View Post
    I answered the thread regarding the Spindrift,and it brought back wonderful memories of the large fleet of fishing boats that I used to deliver butcher meat to,when I worked as a butcher boy for Donny Angus (anyone remember him and Willie Coghill ) it got me trying to naming them all, can anyone add to the list.There were lots ??????
    Avelon, Ajax, Ardent,
    Boy Andrew, Boy Peter
    Chance,
    Endevour,
    Gleaners 1 ,Gleaners 2
    Intrepid
    Morning Cloud, Morning Star, Maid of Honour,
    Spindrift, Silver Cloud,
    Hi there it certainly sets the memory working, another few to add to your list are

White Heather
    Rose in June
    Laurel
    Spray
    St Vincent
    Atalanta
    Letitia

and I am sure there are many more to be added yet.

Was Girl Ann not skippered by Peter Rosie at some point?

I recall someone onboard her telling my dad a story about a time they landed in Stromness & the skipper said to his boys to stocker(sell fish for cash) a couple of boxes of fish so that they had an entrance fee for the bar.

When the skipper came back the crew gave him £60, so he started dishing it out equally among them only to be told, no , thats yer share!!!
    He said` what do ye mean?` the crew said we stockered all 12 boxes, we got £60 each
    Lets just say, Id get banned off here if I said what was really said next!!
    Cmey e Scorries

Gunnhilda WK 272 was owned by Sanders McNab
    He had another couple of boats in the 90`s, 1 was a netter but no sure of her name? I think the other was Sharron Rose bought from Eyemouth and converted to the clams.
    Bonaventure was skippered by Bert Mackenzie then Hartley Smith & Raymond Ross
    Prolific was skippered By Walter Mcphee
    Laurie Marie was skippered by Walter Mcphee
    Last edited by Amy-Winehouse; 25-Oct-08 at 09:20.
    Cmey e Scorries

Default Wick Fishing Boats

I used to deliver groceries to the same boats as Jock . I worked in George Lyalls next door to Donnie Angus. Rare old times. I remember you there Jock.
    The opportunity of a lifetime must be taken in the lifetime of the opportunity

Default +Juny

Peter - there was a film made in Wick after the Enterprise towed in the juny. I can not for the life of me remember the name of the film.We all got 5 bob for doing extra's in some of the scenes. The premiere was shown in the pavilion. Some of the scenes were shot in a house in Argyle Sq.
    The opportunity of a lifetime must be taken in the lifetime of the opportunity

Thumbs down

this would be some film to get a hold off.
    know two of the crew in the enterprise at that time and will see if they know anything of it tony

Am I right in thinking that the Royal Burgh was the last fishing boat built in Wick. I remember her being launched into the river, off the north pier.

Somewhere I have a fairly nice photo of the Alert in Wick bay.

Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the Royal Burgh was the last fishing boat built in Wick. I remember her being launched into the river, off the north pier.

Does Ronnie Plowmans boat Rhona not count as a fishing boat?? Jimmy McCaughey was still building fishing boats in the 90`s , maybe not seiners or Herring boats but they were still fishing boats.

Kestrel was built in Wick, Bill zFernie has provided the link to it , sadly there wont be anymore boats built here as the boatyards have all shut
    Cmey e Scorries

Thumbs up Merry Xmas

To all the wonderful Orgers who have made this such a nostalgic walk down memory lane I would like to Wish each and every one of you

ALL THE VERY BEST FOR A QUIET AND PEACEFULL XMAS AND GOOD HEALTH AND HAPPINESS FOR 2009

Jock Leith
    I INTEND TO LIVE FOREVER, SO FAR SO GOOD

Pentland Swell then Mayflower FR210 left the fishing industry in 1972 The Golden Dawn went to Northern Ireland ..The Two Boys went to Eire after John Macleod (cowg) died
    William James Coull had her just before she left Thurso in 1960

Jock Keep well and have a nice Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and the family
    PM
    Last edited by peter macdonald; 20-Dec-08 at 22:26.

Thumbs down

thanks for setting this agoing jock
    and will now wish you and yours all the very best over the festive season and for 2009
    and the same to you pm tony

This was one of the best threads so I wish all contributers a very merry christmas and all the best for the coming year and I hope they keep them coming!!

I don't know diddly about fishing boats but this is a super thread -- really interesting.

What a wonderful collection of pictures, great that they are preserved.
    Am I right in thinking that The Opportune is the one regularly into Scrabster?

Cheers for the link Peter. A really brilliant site, excellently put together.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast