Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Wick fishing boats

What a wonderful collection of pictures, great that they are preserved.
    Am I right in thinking that The Opportune is the one regularly into Scrabster?

Cheers for the link Peter. A really brilliant site, excellently put together.

Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald View Post
    I was shown this site a month ago but I didnt think it was ready to be revealed yet?

a nice site well done.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post
    I was shown this site a month ago but I didnt think it was ready to be revealed yet?
    me likewise but it carried no names thenbut was in the process of being set up
    well done eh tony

Very good site. Well done I am sure there will be many viewers.

Default fletter

Aye Tony There were some rare guys about Robert Swanson (num) George Thain Donald MacDonald (dusty) James MacKay (fletter) George More (and his dad Rab) Ronnie Sutherland (pep) etc etc and while they enjoyed their dram it would be a great mistake to underestimate their skill and intelligence These guys were suberb navigators in a time before radio navigation aids when there was only clocks and compasses to help them
    They have my total admiration

I beleive both Bill Wisemans boats the Rival and Stack Rock are still going as houseboats in England as is the Golden Spinney Superb Procure Spindrift and Ajax
    The Gleaners and Girl Linda are houseboats in West Scotland I beleive whilst the 1st Boy Andrew is now a diving boat called the Gallic Rose and the Ardent is a houseboat on the Caledonian Canal
    All best
    PM
    fletter is my dad...

Default Fletter

The Valhalla Wk171 She came from Ullapool UL99 Duncan Sutherland sold her to Hugh Carter in 1973 .Built Miller St Monance in 1954 she was 51ft LOA and 23,55 Tons Gross and nett I think it was Kelvin 120 engine?? that was in her She was lost by fire cant remember what year but I think Fletter was in her when it happened 1976???
    great to see my dad on your site....fletter

Would be great to hear from ORGERS that can identify family connections with the boats already mentioned on this thread.Any stories told by those great men would be a great way of keeping those memories aliveThanks DANA for your post.Some great stories have already been shared, but I am sure that many more are still waiting to be told

JL
    I INTEND TO LIVE FOREVER, SO FAR SO GOOD

yeah that's my Dad james fletter mackay,weird seeing his name on the puter he would have been fair proud of that thanks.

just had a look at the wk boats site and was very impressed ,but it just shows how much of a loss the fishing industry is to Wick .

Quote Originally Posted by bluenosenic View Post
    just had a look at the wk boats site and was very impressed ,but it just shows how much of a loss the fishing industry is to Wick .
    Yes the harbour was the hub of the town when I was growing up,we spent most days around there, fishing under the wharf,the smells are the things I remember most,fishermem mending nets the shops etc.I worked in the butchers ,so had great laughs with some of the great characters that are sadly no longer with us.Its very sad to see the run down state of the area and the silence there is now.But always take a stroll around the area when I come home for a visit

regards JL

Default Thanks again Peter MacDonald

Peter I have had a few private messages asking for info regarding the dates the old fishing boats were built etc.I have directed them to the link that you posted.To all others wishing to view pictures of the fishing fleet the link is on the last page,thanks to those who have sent enquires but the link is far more interesting,than any replies from me.
    Regards JL

Hi Jock et al
    I have added a film taken in the Moray Firth in 1961 to the video section Done on cine it is not the greatest quality (although we are going to remaster it later) and viewed best on small screen .It was taken aboard the Danish anchor seiner Caledonia skippered by the late Niels Moller and features a few locals eg George Mackay of the Ice Factory Jack Clark John Duncan Artur Matiesen Snr and a few others
    All best
    DM

Cant wait to get home to see that Peter, Roll on Wednesday

Mr.Winehouse
    Cmey e Scorries

Brilliant, well done what an interesting site. Wonderful indeed.

Default Heritage Boats

It is nice to see that the old fishing industry is greatly missed as it is a big part of Wick's history, will many of you posting about these boats be present at the HarbourFest? I believe a few heritage boats are showing that weekend!
    I'm sorry i'm late - You know the STRIPES on a tiger are hard to change ..

Quote Originally Posted by John Flett View Post
    Been following this thread with great interest and nostalgia. Readers may be interested in the long journey of one of the Wick fleet. In 1958 we bought the Starlight from Lossiemouth (built 1933 by John Dunn of Lossie) for £1,250.00. When I left Wick in 1961 it was sold and converted into a motor yacht in Suffolk. In 2004 the same Starlight, with the same 95 Gardner engine, was for sale in Malta. Asking price £125,000.00!! It is amazing how age adds value to life.
    Well, she didn't sell for that much, but I did buy her last year. She's still in Malta and looking as pretty as ever. Do you have any more details on the conversion, the owners that did the conversion, the architect involved or the yard? Thanks.

Sorry Heri I dont have any details of her conversion Perhaps John Flett may know a bit more if you PM him . I saw the Starlight on the net recently and she looks beautiful Congratulations on the job you are doing in maintaining her
    PM

Default Life boat.

I am looking at a photo just now of Alfred Mackay,My uncle Donald Mackay,and my Dad James flett mackay,all working away with yellow oilskins on,boy do they look young.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast