Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wick fishing boats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wick Fishing Boats

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    I am in complete agreement it has to be one of the most interesting threads ever started and has provoked much discusion and interest.
    I am not a resident of the county but have many friends there who at various times have had a sea heritage and as I orginate from a fishing town with many memories of luggers etc, it has been fascinating.
    Hope there is still more to come.

Thank you for your reply LIZZ ,the harbour holds so many memories for me as a child.All my mates and I spent some wonderful times fishing under the old wharf etc.I still go back on holidays and it's sad to see the harbour so deserted,but the memories will live on in my heart.

regards JL
    I INTEND TO LIVE FOREVER, SO FAR SO GOOD

Remember in the 40,s and early 50,s at the harbour on a summer evening. Lots of locals and visitors about, all the boys fishing for tiddlers and peltags. The sun always shone and the peltags just got bigger and bigger!1

Default Wick Fishing boats

What a wonderful thread, loved the stories, great thanks for the best thread on Caithness.Org.

I got this link from a friend of mine
    http://nationalhistoricships.org.uk/...vent/newSearch
    and it shows some WK seine netters as they are today ..If you look in the fishing boat part there is Barcadale which was the Ebeneezer WK135 that the late Ernie Miller and James Sutherland skippered ,the Gleaners WK325 that Rory Bremner and then Robert Swanson had
    , the Rival WK123 that Bill Wiseman skippered and the St Vincent WK117 that Jock Rosie owned. The site also has the Isabella Fortuna and other historic boats that visited Wick recently. There are also some seinenetters that were fairly frequent visitors to Wick such as the Bon Ami Enterprise and Challenge (ex Transcend)
    It also mentions the Primula but with scant detail
    PM

Default Thanks again Peter

Peter once again you have come up trumps with a great web site for browsing throuht some of the old fishing boats .
    You deserve a medal for bringing so many great memories back for so many orgers

Regards JL
    I INTEND TO LIVE FOREVER, SO FAR SO GOOD

Thumbs down

yet another good site for browsing through peter thanks all the best tony

Yes that site with preserved boats well worth a look but a lot of the boats have changed a lot since there fishing days. What about the grounds the WK boats used to work. On the Wick side there was the Pouts Johndies Partans South Head Nells Sound Fisher Ma Kellys Graveyard Treasure Barnies Courage Sannie Sutherlands Quoy Hd Lights Spittal Hill Point O The Ord Murrys Hillhead 55 Minutes Burma . West there was Blue Mountain Blue Bell Stormy Bank Sandside Cnoc Skolomies Maggie Fleming and a lot of other bits beside. Many a coil of rope was pulled over these bits and many a box of fish was taken off them.