Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Wick fishing boats

Hello Im new to this site and still finding my way around, but I have a query about the WK REGISTERED fishing boat ALERT WK 119. Can anyone tell me if she sold to a David Irvine of Kirkwall Orkney sometime in the late fifties I thank you all Allan

Aye Allan all the Mannies who new all the boats and there history seems to missing from this thread. I am sure I have seen something about the Alert and Davie Irivine on the Orkney Library Archive site but I cant find it now. Peter Macdonald would know the answer to your question you will find him a lot on this thread. I remember as a boy Davie Irvine and Willie Groat coming round the north isles with the Otter Bank in the early 60s. Heard recently that Davies wife belonged to Papay. Hope you find a answer to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by allan besant View Post
    Hello Im new to this site and still finding my way around, but I have a query about the WK REGISTERED fishing boat ALERT WK 119. Can anyone tell me if she sold to a David Irvine of Kirkwall Orkney sometime in the late fifties I thank you all Allan
    I can't answer your question but am bumping this thread to the top again in the hope that someone else can.

All best.

This is page 8 of the original thread although it seems to start with Allan Besant's first post.

If you go back to the first post via the list of pages which are listed in the top right hand corner of this page, you should be able to see all the posts that were made on this subject some time ago.

The "Alert" is mentioned as belonging to Robert More on page 12.....but no mention of David Irvine of Orkney.

Does anyone have any pictures of Neil and/or Alexander Stewart who owned the Sweetpea WK12

Donley Ill get Peter McDonald on the case. yer better going on Facebooks Northeast fisher folks page coz theres some absolutely briliant pic son there

Was watching a programme over here in New Zealand about the fishing boats of Cornwall I saw in Newlyn harbour a boat tied up it was WK7 does anyone know the name of this boat etc
    I INTEND TO LIVE FOREVER, SO FAR SO GOOD

are you sure it was wk7 wk 3 is down that way ben loyal

Quote Originally Posted by peedie man View Post
    are you sure it was wk7 wk 3 is down that way ben loyal
    >> http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/galle...6449&limit=all
    All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Pretty sure it was wk7 It was on the Programme with Monty Hall when he goes out on a trawler from Newlyn ,the programme was about sustainable fishing etc.
    I INTEND TO LIVE FOREVER, SO FAR SO GOOD

That program will probably have been one of the 6 parts of the fishermans apprenctice that was made by Monty Halls. It was shown a couple years back on BBC2. If it was recently shown on TV down under, it may still be available to watch on catchup?
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

That's the Rhea wk7 the late Geordie Mores last boat. Think he had her after he decommissioned the Faithful worked a few creels when he wasn't offshore. I always thought she went to Helmsdale but maybe she moved on again.

Danish Fishing Boats fishing from Wick :

Dear All
    My name is BjartmarSigurdsson and I am from Iceland. I was reading a thread from Peter on the 15 nov 2008 on page 8.
    My Grandfather found a boat on that liststranded on his shore in South Iceland in 1942. The boats name was Annie FN196. Later London registered LO 260 as AnnieII.

Besides the boat he found two membersof the crew dead but other four were never found.
    I am on a mission identifying the two men buried in our cemetery at our family farm. For some reasonthey were never identified .....

The skippersname was Ole Larsen. I also have the names of the other members of crew.
    I really would appreciate if someone could point me out someinformation on how to get some more info regarding that boat....or crew
    All the best
    Bjartmar Sigurdsson
    bjartmar.sigurdsson@gmail.com

Hi Bjartmar
    I have been reading with great interest your quest for details of the Fishing boat Annie FN196. You have done a wonderful job and I congratulate you.
    I can add no more other than the vessel fished from Wick Scotland in the mid 1930s and is in the Wick harbour trust records as having done so. In the vessels I have researched both Swedish and Danish who fished from Wick at that time.
    I have found at least 6 who were lost in and around WW2 both by weather and war reasons. It is sad that these men are not normally remembered other than by close family. Again Bjartmar you have done a quite amazing job Thank you!!!!!

Royal Burgh (WK561) Skipper Bill Shearer (Beelie Caa) was my Granda and I have a photograph of the boat taken in 1949 which can be seen on Klickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37542644@N04/14712707067/

Its on this thread somewhere that Royal Burgh was built by Alexanders in Wick. She was sold to Macduff and was named Deveronside. She was then bought by Donald Calder Lybster and became WK registered again.

bonami, thanks for the info, I have seen a photograph of the Deveronside when I searched for the Royal Burgh.

My wife, Jo Sutherland, is the niece of Donnie Angus' wife, Esie. Her Mum and Elsie were sisters.

Hi Allan, just to say that the Caithness Archive Centre in the library has many of the original registers of Wick-registered fishing boats from the 1860s to the 1980s. I had a quick look but there were a lot of vessels called "ALERT" - none that I saw were WK 119, sorry.

Gordon, Caithness Archives