Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Wick fishing boats

Quote Originally Posted by jock leith View Post
    I started the Wick Fishing Boats thread expecting a few replies from some nostalgic Wickers,but have been astounded by the great stories and detailed lists of boats especially supplied by Peter .Thank you all for participating ,I think it is time to close the thread,

Best wishes J Leith
    Some people have said that I closed this thread prematurely as some more boat stories may still be out there.Thanks to those that have sent in info

JL
    I INTEND TO LIVE FOREVER, SO FAR SO GOOD

Thumbs down

[quote=jock leith;466700]Some people have said that I closed this thread prematurely as some more boat stories may still be out there.Thanks to those that have sent in info
    dont know if there is any more to come but it was one of the best threads that was on here in my time thanks to all and especially peter regards tony

I am in complete agreement it has to be one of the most interesting threads ever started and has provoked much discusion and interest.
    I am not a resident of the county but have many friends there who at various times have had a sea heritage and as I orginate from a fishing town with many memories of luggers etc, it has been fascinating.
    Hope there is still more to come.

Default Wick Fishing Boats

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    I am in complete agreement it has to be one of the most interesting threads ever started and has provoked much discusion and interest.
    I am not a resident of the county but have many friends there who at various times have had a sea heritage and as I orginate from a fishing town with many memories of luggers etc, it has been fascinating.
    Hope there is still more to come.

Thank you for your reply LIZZ ,the harbour holds so many memories for me as a child.All my mates and I spent some wonderful times fishing under the old wharf etc.I still go back on holidays and it's sad to see the harbour so deserted,but the memories will live on in my heart.

regards JL

Remember in the 40,s and early 50,s at the harbour on a summer evening. Lots of locals and visitors about, all the boys fishing for tiddlers and peltags. The sun always shone and the peltags just got bigger and bigger!1

Default Wick Fishing boats

What a wonderful thread, loved the stories, great thanks for the best thread on Caithness.Org.

I got this link from a friend of mine
    http://nationalhistoricships.org.uk/...vent/newSearch
    and it shows some WK seine netters as they are today ..If you look in the fishing boat part there is Barcadale which was the Ebeneezer WK135 that the late Ernie Miller and James Sutherland skippered ,the Gleaners WK325 that Rory Bremner and then Robert Swanson had
    , the Rival WK123 that Bill Wiseman skippered and the St Vincent WK117 that Jock Rosie owned. The site also has the Isabella Fortuna and other historic boats that visited Wick recently. There are also some seinenetters that were fairly frequent visitors to Wick such as the Bon Ami Enterprise and Challenge (ex Transcend)
    It also mentions the Primula but with scant detail
    PM

Default Thanks again Peter

Peter once again you have come up trumps with a great web site for browsing throuht some of the old fishing boats .
    You deserve a medal for bringing so many great memories back for so many orgers

Regards JL

Thumbs down

yet another good site for browsing through peter thanks all the best tony

Yes that site with preserved boats well worth a look but a lot of the boats have changed a lot since there fishing days. What about the grounds the WK boats used to work. On the Wick side there was the Pouts Johndies Partans South Head Nells Sound Fisher Ma Kellys Graveyard Treasure Barnies Courage Sannie Sutherlands Quoy Hd Lights Spittal Hill Point O The Ord Murrys Hillhead 55 Minutes Burma . West there was Blue Mountain Blue Bell Stormy Bank Sandside Cnoc Skolomies Maggie Fleming and a lot of other bits beside. Many a coil of rope was pulled over these bits and many a box of fish was taken off them.

Quote Originally Posted by bonami View Post
    Yes that site with preserved boats well worth a look but a lot of the boats have changed a lot since there fishing days. What about the grounds the WK boats used to work. On the Wick side there was the Pouts Johndies Partans South Head Nells Sound Fisher Ma Kellys Graveyard Treasure Barnies Courage Sannie Sutherlands Quoy Hd Lights Spittal Hill Point O The Ord Murrys Hillhead 55 Minutes Burma . West there was Blue Mountain Blue Bell Stormy Bank Sandside Cnoc Skolomies Maggie Fleming and a lot of other bits beside. Many a coil of rope was pulled over these bits and many a box of fish was taken off them.
    My brother says you missed out!!!
    Copinsay!!!! Skaill Bay, The skerries, The Grandstand, The Noup, 16 miles the back of the sule, Suleskerry.
    Smith Bank, Jocky Bhans, Jean Dugle , The Skater!!! The Skate hole , The sooth deeps, the cock, navidale hole,

in no particular order Im afraid- He says he was at Rockall & St.Kilda in bigger boats from elsewhere but Copinsay was the one he dreaded the most- sma` haddies with their eyes no open yet!!

Absolute slaughter but the crack was pretty good, rather him than me
    Cmey e Scorries

Dont know just how accurate this is

http://www.sarclethistory.co.uk/inde...letfishing.jpg

I think the museum in Buckie has a couple of good charts of where the fishing grounds were around here and the west
    PM

Thumbs down

this is another site to muse through peter
    by the way the bobbie was never out of rackwick. bet there was a few cut and runs out of there cheers tony

There was a yarn of a certain Wick skipper who was shooting his net in thick fog when he completed his shot and was returning to his dhan he found that the cruiser had found it first. The crew of the cruiser had picked up his dhan and well into hauling the first coil of rope. How true this tale is I dont know but remembering stories about this well known skipper of the past it is just possible..

Thumbs down

There was a yarn of a certain Wick skipper who was shooting his net in thick fog when he completed his shot and was returning to his dhan he found that the cruiser had found it first. The crew of the cruiser had picked up his dhan and well into hauling the first coil of rope. How true this tale is I dont know but remembering stories about this well known skipper of the past it is just possible..
    i couldnt name him as i dont know but could tie it up to one or two that would be probabels tony

Could this possibly have been the indominatable Capt Swanson perhaps :-))
    PM
    Last edited by peter macdonald; 11-Dec-08 at 20:50.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald View Post
    Could this possibly have been the indominatable Capt Swanson perhaps :-))
    PM
    to be quite honest that was no1 that crossed my mind tony

Thats the mannie lads. Many a story about him some true others never proven. There dosnt seem to be his type around anymore. Mores the pity.

Thumbs down

Thats the mannie lads. Many a story about him some true others never proven. There dosnt seem to be his type around anymore. Mores the pity.
    theres certainly numerous ones that cant be proven but really he wasnt a bad sort at heart [was never beat ] tony

Thumbs down

discussion today
    our robert was in buckie and didnt want to wait for someone to come down to sail with him. decided to come up with her himself, he set off and on the way over decided to go down for a coffee ,he happened to fall asleep and there was a boat reported going round in circles
    the services were called and that ploy became one of his problems tony

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast