Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wick fishing boats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fishing Boats

Such memories....

I remember The Golden Dawn, skipper Alfred MacKay - hope I'm right.

Our Butcher was Geordie Doull

Default Boats

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    Such memories....

Hi I think you are wrong there he was one of the crew but the skipper was Sanny Adamson.

Another boat to add to the list is the Fisher Boy Skipper James Bremner

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    Such memories....

Geordie and Arthur Doull best butchers in Wick Trinkie, Then came The Harrold Brothers ,ofcoarse thats from the Wick side,great butchers from Pountley side too, not forgetting Donnie Angus at Harbour,wonderful memories.

Pennylane

Quote Originally Posted by Pennylane View Post
    Geordie and Arthur Doull best butchers in Wick Trinkie, Then came The Harrold Brothers ,ofcoarse thats from the Wick side,great butchers from Pountley side too, not forgetting Donnie Angus at Harbour,wonderful memories.

Pennylane
    Sorry forgot to add that they all supplied to the fishing boats

Aye Tony There were some rare guys about Robert Swanson (num) George Thain Donald MacDonald (dusty) James MacKay (fletter) George More (and his dad Rab) Ronnie Sutherland (pep) etc etc and while they enjoyed their dram it would be a great mistake to underestimate their skill and intelligence These guys were suberb navigators in a time before radio navigation aids when there was only clocks and compasses to help them
    They have my total admiration

I beleive both Bill Wisemans boats the Rival and Stack Rock are still going as houseboats in England as is the Golden Spinney Superb Procure Spindrift and Ajax
    The Gleaners and Girl Linda are houseboats in West Scotland I beleive whilst the 1st Boy Andrew is now a diving boat called the Gallic Rose and the Ardent is a houseboat on the Caledonian Canal
    All best
    PM
    Last edited by peter macdonald; 25-Oct-08 at 20:34.

Default fletter

Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald View Post
    Aye Tony There were some rare guys about Robert Swanson (num) George Thain Donald MacDonald (dusty) James MacKay (fletter) George More (and his dad Rab) Ronnie Sutherland (pep) etc etc and while they enjoyed their dram it would be a great mistake to underestimate their skill and intelligence These guys were suberb navigators in a time before radio navigation aids when there was only clocks and compasses to help them
    They have my total admiration

I beleive both Bill Wisemans boats the Rival and Stack Rock are still going as houseboats in England as is the Golden Spinney Superb Procure Spindrift and Ajax
    The Gleaners and Girl Linda are houseboats in West Scotland I beleive whilst the 1st Boy Andrew is now a diving boat called the Gallic Rose and the Ardent is a houseboat on the Caledonian Canal
    All best
    PM
    fletter is my dad...

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Pennylane View Post
    Sorry forgot to add that they all supplied to the fishing boats
    that shop was originally jean reids and geordie and arthur both worked for her. my first job was message boy there and also made the sausages
    in those days the shop closed at nine o clock at night also worked in drs and humped oil down to the boats
    dobie cormack did the delivery on wheels tony

I'll always remember George Lyall's at the harbour front,I think he delivered stores to the majority if not all of the boats in Wick.......

A few older fishing boats from Wick can be seen in this project from Hillhead school in 2001
    http://www.caithness.org/links/kids/...ject/index.htm

Thumbs down

danny alexander built several boats at his yard but cant remember them all now tony