Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Wick fishing boats

Default Wick Fishing Boats

This is a wonderful thread.... many thanks

Peter - did you mention The Elsie Budge? Likely I've missed it, you have named all of the others ! What a memory you have.
    Can you not smell the sea water ?

Trinkie

Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the Royal Burgh was the last fishing boat built in Wick. I remember her being launched into the river, off the north pier.

Does Ronnie Plowmans boat Rhona not count as a fishing boat?? Jimmy McCaughey was still building fishing boats in the 90`s , maybe not seiners or Herring boats but they were still fishing boats.

Kestrel was built in Wick, Bill zFernie has provided the link to it , sadly there wont be anymore boats built here as the boatyards have all shut
    Cmey e Scorries

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post
    Does Ronnie Plowmans boat Rhona not count as a fishing boat?? Jimmy McCaughey was still building fishing boats in the 90`s , maybe not seiners or Herring boats but they were still fishing boats.

Kestrel was built in Wick, Bill zFernie has provided the link to it , sadly there wont be anymore boats built here as the boatyards have all shut
    Th e boat is called Ma-rona and I guess being a boat that goes to sea for Lobsters and Crabs it is a fishing boat. (twin hulled)
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Ronnie also previously had the "rona" and "wave dancer". I don't think they were mentioned.
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Thumbs down

amongst the list of skippers especially the worthies there was one that never got a mention [KORKY] worthy of a mention tony

Talking wick fishing boats

well peter youve got some memory this is an excellent thread i mind when my dad would go of to the sea on a sunday night and come home late thursday night if the boat didnt get cleaned on the thursday night it was done first thing on the fri morning then it was of to the pub just for a quick one ha ha or rather thats what he would tell my mum ha ha
    Treat people as you want to be treated

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tighsonas4 View Post
    amongst the list of skippers especially the worthies there was one that never got a mention [KORKY] worthy of a mention tony
    i dont think thats very nice to call some of these men worthies fishing is hard at the best of times fishermen were always noted for working hard and playing hard
    Treat people as you want to be treated

Tony Aye George (Korky) was great crack ..dear me some yarns he could tell .. and if you wanted a yarn about politics who better was there than Jockie Bhan??? I hadna forgotten Sanders MacNabs Kestrel or Ronnies boats but I could not get any more words on the post !!!
    Amy Very true about Jimmy McCaughys boats and also a chap called Edwardson also built a couple of boats in Wick before he moved to Invergordon and built some more

Some more from my notes though before my time a few!! but after WW2

Sustain WK290 Skipper Sinclair sold to Berwick as school training vessel
    Ever Ready WK100 Skipper George Carter sold to Wales
    Ebeneezer WK227 Skipper John G Sinclair sold to Lybster
    Scot WK297 Skipper George Carter sold to Peterhead
    Eileen WK143 Skipper Jack Watt struck flaggie and sank
    Glad Tidings Skipper John MacLeod (I think)sold to Lybster
    All best
    PM
    Last edited by peter macdonald; 27-Oct-08 at 21:06.

Quote Originally Posted by dirdyweeker View Post
    Ronnie also previously had the "rona" and "wave dancer". I don't think they were mentioned.

It was the Rona I was meaning, I was at the launching back in 1998 & we ended up at the Staxigoe hall. It was a great night.

Theres a lot of the wee creelboats that havent been mentioned, Sulair, Bon Ami, Rona, Boy Ritchie 1&2 , Maria B . But I think this thread is more about the seiners tbh.
    Cmey e Scorries

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by celtic lass View Post
    i dont think thats very nice to call some of these men worthies fishing is hard at the best of times fishermen were always noted for working hard and playing hard
    quite agree but you miss the point
    worthies is in no way detrimental in fact very much the reverse
    you would need to have met them to understand regards tony

Default Jockie Bhan

There is a great painting of him in the Frances Street Club.Hope it is still there as its been a few years since I visited Home .
    Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald View Post
    Tony Aye George (Korky) was great crack ..dear me some yarns he could tell .. and if you wanted a yarn about politics who better was there than Jockie Bhan??? I hadna forgotten Sanders MacNabs Kestrel or Ronnies boats but I could not get any more words on the post !!!
    Amy Very true about Jimmy McCaughys boats and also a chap called Edwardson also built a couple of boats in Wick before he moved to Invergordon and built some more

Some more from my notes though before my time a few!! but after WW2

Sustain WK290 Skipper Sinclair sold to Berwick as school training vessel
    Ever Ready WK100 Skipper George Carter sold to Wales
    Ebeneezer WK227 Skipper John G Sinclair sold to Lybster
    Scot WK297 Skipper George Carter sold to Peterhead
    Eileen WK143 Skipper Jack Watt struck flaggie and sank
    Glad Tidings Skipper John MacLeod (I think)sold to Lybster
    All best
    PM
    Last edited by jock leith; 28-Oct-08 at 00:11. Reason: spelling error
    I INTEND TO LIVE FOREVER, SO FAR SO GOOD

So, all in all we have almost lost the experience these skippers and crewmen have aquired through the generations and we have also lost the boat-building expertise. Once it's gone it's gone so they say.

Default Jockie Bhan

Jockies boat the Ivy was aground at low tide on a sandbank at the quay heads. The crew were having a cup o tea . Jocky was heard to say over the radio. " Wur drinking water for e' want o' water and if we had plenty water we'd be drinking beer." He had some logic.
    His crew at one time was Billy Bain and Jimmy Bruce who used to help him out when he was home from merchant navy.
    My Grandfather was Donald Miller ( sorrie) and I remeber him telling me this story
    The opportunity of a lifetime must be taken in the lifetime of the opportunity

Thumbs down Times gone by

i would just like to say a BIG THANK YOU to you all jock for starting this off and especially peter for his wealth of knowledge
    also alll who contributed to it
    its been one of the best threads in my short time here
    regards to all tony

Default Wick Boats

Quote Originally Posted by Tighsonas4 View Post
    i would just like to say a BIG THANK YOU to you all jock for starting this off and especially peter for his wealth of knowledge
    also alll who contributed to it
    its been one of the best threads in my short time here
    regards to all tony
    Hi would fully agree with you this must have been one of the best threads ever on here and the wealth of knowledge that has come up because of it has been amazing.

Tony,thank you for your kind words,it just shows that people do enjoy childhood memories,remembering some of the "old boys" who were living legends when I was growing up.Especially the fishermen, some of the stories of their exploits were just magic to us young one's.But at the same time each and every one was a gentleman regards jock.
    I INTEND TO LIVE FOREVER, SO FAR SO GOOD

There is a superb photo of Wick Harbour taken in the 60`s from above the power station on another website & the boats are lying 4-5 abreast in the outer harbour!!!!
    Ill see if I can get permission from the owner but it really is a great pic of how things used to be in the good old days.
    Cmey e Scorries

Default Scrabster Boats

Annabel Wk94 Skipper Ian Simpson
    Primula Wk97 Skipper Angus MacIntosh
    Boy Allan WK252 Skipper Magnus MacKay
    Barbara Mackay WK 9 Skipper Billy MacKay
    Venture WK98 Skipper A MacIntosh
    Sealgair WK241 Skipper Magnus MacKay
    Golden Chance WK22 Skipper Gilbert Reid
    Maureen WK270 Skipper William Simpson then Nicky Simpson
    Pavonia WK53 Skipper Donald Simpson
    Two Boys WK151 Skipper John MacLeod
    Albion Skipper WK 88 Skipper Tommy Reid
    Pentland Swell WK353 Skipper Magnus Mackay
    Amber Queen WK230 Skipper Alfie Sinclair
    Liberty Wk218 Skipperr Donald Corbett
    Pentland Wave Wk245 Skipper Magnus MacKay
    Pentland Skerry WK 251 Skipper Jim Bruce
    Pentland Firth Wk224 Skipper William Sinclair
    Crest WK87 Skipper Donald Mackay
    Rambler WK174 Skipper Gilbert Reid
    Undaunted WK210 Skipper Jimmy McIntosh
    Streamlet WK332 Skipper John MacLeod also called Emerald
    Bydand WK155 Skipper Arnot Sinclair
    Better Hope WK138 Skipper Magnus MacKay
    Loch Fyne WK248 Skipper William Simpson
    Crissy WK69 Skipper D MacKay
    Ben More WK52 Skipper Jimmy McIntosh
    Lea Rig WK331 Skipper John Macleod
    Hopeful WK196 Skipper William Simpson
    Provider KY201 Skipper Alex Mackay ??
    Daisy WK21 Skipper D Maclean
    Star Devine WK16 Skipper Jack Ritchie
    Prolific WK53 Skipper Denny Simpson
    Challenge WK27 Skipper George King
    Viking Queen WK510 SKipper Jim Mackay
    Orion WK112 Skipper Bews
    As you can see by the question marks this from memory with a few notes Feel free to add
    any or fill in the blanks
    Last edited by peter macdonald; 30-Oct-08 at 15:38.

The pic above (going clockwise)
    Spindrift WK177 Morning Star WK27 Maid of Honour WK30
    Girl Linda WK426 Ajax WK106
    Golden Spinney WK245
    Ivy WK396
    Ardent WK55
    On slip Left to right is the Superb WK432 ?? Boy Peter WK64 Ithink the Green boat in front of George Lyalls is the Rose Valley that the Macleod brothers had and it could be the Be in Time lying outside the Ivy
    The Girl Linda was yellow painted when Donald Stewart bought her from Billy Rendall from Stronsay .She was yellow (I think ) when she was the Venture WK98 in Thurso when skippered by Angus MacIntosh (Pudders) the Superb was red and maroon when Alister Budge bought her from Stonehaven (A611)
    Thanks for posting the picture Tony ..taking back memories from 1968 perhaps??
    PM

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast