Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wick fishing boats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Enterprise 2 from Helmsdale

Amy ..one I forgot about from Helmsdale ..The Enterprise 2 that Neil Mackay had in the 1960s WK319 She was bought from Stornaway 12.12.64 and was sold to Belfast 21.9.67
    Owners H T and N Mackay she was built in Fraserburgh in 1940 50ft loa 20.95 Tonns Gross and Nett
    There was one called the Kitty Mackay which may interest you WK357 LOA 36ft Keel 32 ft Beam 12 ft 9.33 Tonns gross and Nett Built in Banff in 1921 ex Snowdrop BF 493 Owned bt T J and G Mackay from 1/2/29 until 25.10.40 when she was sold to Peterhead

All best
    PM

Default Peter Macdonald

Peter someone e-mailed me recently and asked about Jonners Sinclair and the little crab boats he owned,I had a quick look through the thread but did not see his boats mentioned.Do you know the names of any of his boats.
    ??? Would they be big enough to warrant registration ???
    Regards JL
    I INTEND TO LIVE FOREVER, SO FAR SO GOOD

Default A fishing boat!

Just a thought........ Was having lunch one day overlooking the harbour in Toronto, Ontario and spotted what looked like the bow and wheel house of a traditional Wick/ Lybster fishing boat...(Was born and brought up in Lybster).
    So I investigated and found .....now I think a 1940's.. 60+ or - footer which was gaff rigged...mast and brown sails docked at the waterfront. Rather a strange sight especially when everything else was exotic.....e.g. 30-65' newer power boats... Donzi cigarette boat,
    Carver power boats and the like.
    Eventually I spoke with the owner....Built I think on the North East Coast of Scotland, went to Holland and there was rigged with the mast, then sailed to the eastern Seaboard of Canada/ Thence thru the Great Lkes to lake Ontario. The owner spent several years re-doing the inside and then put it in the water...fresh water and it started leaking like a sieve.So he had it dry docked and basically replace some planks and have the(packing) done again...
    So I asked him how he was able to get rid of the fish smell and his reply....That was dealt with by the smell of diesel! Kinda nice inside altho quite rough. Was going to follow his journey but lost him. He did say that he needed a gale to move him and the 'thing' went sideways...No keel! And was going round the World.....nearly joined him!

Jock
    Off the top of my head ...The Be in Time ,the Westering, Gril Mina (ex Lybster one)
    Johners had the Ebeneezer and I think the Glad Tidings at the seine net as well as one which was never in WK registration (I think) Golden Strand? If I get a chance later in the week Ill check it out
    They were all registered if used commercially for fishing .eg Be In Time was WK430
    He was also emergency coxswain of Wick Lifeboat
    PM
    Last edited by peter macdonald; 10-Feb-09 at 08:39.