Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald View Post
Tony Yes there was also a Jeannie MacKay ...............(one)
She was WK316 built in MacDuff in 1927 LOA 37 ft Keel 33 ft Beam 12.3 ft Draft 4.1 ft
8.53 Tonns Gross and Nett She came to the MacKay brothers of Helmsdale 15/8/1927 and was sold to Golspie owners 3/5/1932 She then was sold to Peterhead 13/2/1933 I think she was used for cod nets lines and herring as there is no mention of a seine net winch in her

Jeannie MacKay 2 was LOA 54 ft keel 49ft Beam 16.5 Draft 6.8ft 27.26 Tons Gross and Nett Built for Helmsdale 11/7/1938 in Buckie She was sold to Robert Andrew Coffey of Portavogie in 1948 Skipper was John Mackay

Jeanie MacKay 3 WK197 was sold to Alister Henderson and Bill Wiseman and became the Stack Rock .She was built by Thomson of Buckie for John (Pow) MacKay and others of Helmsdale in 1948
Peter, I have a wee bit of information on the Jeannie Mackay II for you, the chap said she was commandeered by the Navy during WWII.
He said she remained in British waters during the war. However, Angus and John Mackay (pow) got another boat to replace her after she was commandeered.
This boat was called Joey Mackay. I have never seen any photos of her or don`t know what size she was. The only thing I know is she was also commandeered because she had a Gardner engine.
She was the boat that went to South Africa and being in tropical waters her hull was so badly attacked by teredo worm that it was not safe or viable to bring her home.
When she was commandeered Angus and John got a 40ft boat with a 44hp Kelvin engine, called Hazel. I can remember her well and she was also very successful.

When Jeannie Mackay II returned after the war the Hazel was sold by a public auction held on the pier in Helmsdale and was bought by a man Garden from Cullen who worked her out of Aberdeen until he retired.

In those days there was a 3 mile limit for seine netting except for boats under a certain size were allowed to fish in Aberdeen bay and this is where she worked and was still going strong when I was at collegein 1965.