Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Where do you originate from?

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    I am from England.
    Nuff said!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    My wife is Scottish
    Redeemed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fran
    ..................and whats wrong with Essex..!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry Fran, I missed that one.
    I was just thinking of the poor lassie suffering from all the "Essex Girl" jokes.
    I don't think I would wish that on anybody!
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Thumbs down Orginally fae Week

Fars all e weekers? Is nobody a pure bred Weeker? Come on far e all hiding? Or hev e left me all on ma ane till go an live elswhere?

Default Kernewek

I originate from Cornwall my family have been there for generations earliest recorded 1341 AD but we may have links to Brittany before that,my husband is Sussex born and bred but can trace his ancestry back through the Normans to Orkney and Norway.

Alli Im fae the "Backside" opposite Skinners buildings round the corner from Ducksie,,,,,I used to play football in the street in FancyTart street outside the Royal ..get chips from John Cormacks , go up to Emmas on a Friday night for penny carmels,eat butcher meat from Hughinas, and get parafin out of tin whistlies back shed etc
    I was going to post this earlier but who on this list would know what the £$%$ I was talking about
    Och and Jessie Clyne had the best mince pies in Pultney

Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald
    Alli Im fae the "Backside" opposite Skinners buildings round the corner from Ducksie,,,,,I used to play football in the street in FancyTart street outside the Royal ..get chips from John Cormacks , go up to Emmas on a Friday night for penny carmels,eat butcher meat from Hughinas, and get parafin out of tin whistlies back shed etc
    I was going to post this earlier but who on this list would know what the £$%$ I was talking about
    Och and Jessie Clyne had the best mince pies in Pultney
    Are there more incomers than 'weekers' on the board then, or just a vocal minority?
    Interesting if so.

Parents & backwards were/are all sassenachs but I was born in Spain. Moved here via Stornoway, Stamford (Lincs) & Sheffield. (I think my Mam liked the letter S!!!).

Caithness has been home for 27 years and that's the way it'll stay.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    Fars all e weekers? Is nobody a pure bred Weeker? Come on far e all hiding? Or hev e left me all on ma ane till go an live elswhere?
    Hi Alli Im one of them "pure born and bred Weekers"! As far as I know Parents, Grandparents, Great Grandparents etc were all from different parts of Caithness.Me I was born in the Old Henderson Memorial Nursing Home.........a long time ago now

I must admit I was beginning to feel that the boards had been taken over by "Incomers"......... where are all the Weekers?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    Hi Alli Im one of them "pure born and bred Weekers"! As far as I know Parents, Grandparents, Great Grandparents etc were all from different parts of Caithness.Me I was born in the Old Henderson Memorial Nursing Home.........a long time ago now

I must admit I was beginning to feel that the boards had been taken over by "Incomers"......... where are all the Weekers?
    All my parents, grand parents and great grandparents were from Stroma/Caithness too!! So I class myself as a pure Weeker too!! I've never even been in England
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    All my parents, grand parents and great grandparents were from Stroma/Caithness too!! So I class myself as a pure Weeker too!! I've never even been in England
    Whey Hey!!!!!!!!!!!! Theres more of us.............Ive been to England, passed through it twice on route to France, not surprised really that theres so many of them moving up here. I would too if I was them! Was in Leeds once ............not my cuppa tea.........too much of everything there, I prefer the quiet life.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    Whey Hey!!!!!!!!!!!! Theres more of us.............Ive been to England, passed through it twice on route to France, not surprised really that theres so many of them moving up here. I would too if I was them! Was in Leeds once ............not my cuppa tea.........too much of everything there, I prefer the quiet life.
    I can hardly manage to cross the road in Inverness, never mind anywhere bigger or busier..lol

Landmarker, you don't have to be from week to be from caithness.....there are other parts of the coonty.
    In mitigation Mr Bruce de Wert said his client had been drinking and could remember little of the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    I can hardly manage to cross the road in Inverness, never mind anywhere bigger or busier..lol
    Know what you mean connie19Its them escalators in them big stores that I cant handle, they frighten me to death, Ill bet people look at me and think I know where shes from. I only ever go in so far in the big stores, I need to know where the door is so I can always find my way oot........petrified I am in anywhere thats bigger than "Week"

Quote Originally Posted by cullbucket
    Landmarker, you don't have to be from week to be from caithness.....there are other parts of the coonty.
    Fair comment cullbucket. I expect there are even rivalries (friendly I hope ) between weekers, and the more rural pockets, and Thurso. Incidentally, what does one call a native of Thurso? A Thursovian?

Quote Originally Posted by weeboyagee
    father Caithnessian, Mother fae Penicuik, Grandmothers from Wick and Bo'ness, Grandfathers fae Wick and Glencourse, Great-grandfather came over on the cattle boat from Ireland, landed in Stranraer (after a guid bevvy), didn't return and thus without that, I widna be here!
    Me too.......

Quote Originally Posted by landmarker
    Incidentally, what does one call a native of Thurso? A Thursovian?
    I have no idea how to spell this but folk from Thurso are supposed to be called 'teen a bowlers' someone local help me out with the spelling please.I was told its because they drink their tea from a bowl???

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland
    I have no idea how to spell this but folk from Thurso are supposed to be called 'teen a bowlers' someone local help me out with the spelling please.I was told its because they drink their tea from a bowl???
    I think i's teenabowlie

landmarker, afraid we're Thursoers, nothing so exotic
    There is a definate rivalry, mainly between Thurso and Week which has been done to death in other threads... They think we're posh and we think they're - "dirdy" as I have been told before although its commonly said as "dirty weekers" in response I'm told we are "teanabowlies"
    The banter is mostly in jest these days especially for me, but if I went through to week in my teenage years for a night oot I was liable to get some kind of bother.
    In the school days (80s) the hardest in wick and thurso high schools used to meet in castletown for running battles (or so I heard at the time - I never witnessed any of this, being too busy at home, trying not to spill my tea oot my bowl onto my cravat and modelling my new cummerbund in the mirror)
    In mitigation Mr Bruce de Wert said his client had been drinking and could remember little of the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by cullbucket
    In the school days (80s) the hardest in wick and thurso high schools used to meet in castletown for running battles (or so I heard at the time - I never witnessed any of this, being too busy at home, trying not to spill my tea oot my bowl onto my cravat and modelling my new cummerbund in the mirror)
    Funny.
    I'm genuinely interested in this. It's a bit like Manchester and Liverpool, although there is obvious football rivalry it spills over into other areas.

Okay, Wick was built on Fish. What made Thurso grow? Obviously it was sizeable before Dounreay?? Isn't it strange how the smallest geographical seperation can cause the human spirit to get niggardly and mean.
    Also!: Is there (to locals) any discernible difference between a Wick & Thurso accent?

Quote Originally Posted by landmarker
    Funny.
    I'm genuinely interested in this. It's a bit like Manchester and Liverpool, although there is obvious football rivalry it spills over into other areas.

Okay, Wick was built on Fish. What made Thurso grow? Obviously it was sizeable before Dounreay?? Isn't it strange how the smallest geographical seperation can cause the human spirit to get niggardly and mean.
    Also!: Is there (to locals) any discernible difference between a Wick & Thurso accent?
    There is a definite difference in the accents.. You can tell as soon as you hear someone speak whether they are from thurso or Wick!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast