Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Help please, with recycling plastic

Default Help please, with recycling plastic

Trying hard to do this right - removing labels and tops from bottles ect., but the tops on Fairy liquid, and the like, seem impossible. Does anyone have any tips to make it easier? Tried forcing off with a knife and pulling with pliers but no good.
    Just a wee afterthought, would this not be a good task for those doing "community service". Not poaching any other jobs and surely no "health and safety" issues! Then we could just dump our plastics and they could be sorted out at the recycling centre. In my mind a "real" service to the community.

get the kids to take the tops off things, they love to dismantle plastic things, and im sure a top off a washing up liquid bottle would not be too much hassle for any child over three.

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    Trying hard to do this right - removing labels and tops from bottles ect., but the tops on Fairy liquid, and the like, seem impossible. Does anyone have any tips to make it easier? Tried forcing off with a knife and pulling with pliers but no good.
    Just a wee afterthought, would this not be a good task for those doing "community service". Not poaching any other jobs and surely no "health and safety" issues! Then we could just dump our plastics and they could be sorted out at the recycling centre. In my mind a "real" service to the community.
    My Fairy Liquid has a screw top.

Thanks for replies but I meant clothes washing liquid, like Bold and Ariel. Mine doesn't screw off, at least I don't think so. Must go now and check!!

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    Thanks for replies but I meant clothes washing liquid, like Bold and Ariel. Mine doesn't screw off, at least I don't think so. Must go now and check!!
    Sorry nightowl, I assumed you meant the washing up liquid.