Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Kilt

Default Kilt

we finally got a kilt for my wee one for her dancing, it was second hand, slightly too long for her, was wondering if anyone could recommend someone for getting it taken up, need it done so that it can be dropped down when she grows
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

The dress maker within Elizabeths in Thurso will do that for a very reasonable price.

Do it yourself.

Its not like turning up trousers where you turn up from the bottom edge. What you need to do is unpick the waistband and fold over at the top before reattatching the waist. This way it still hangs right and holds the pleats.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Do it yourself.

Its not like turning up trousers where you turn up from the bottom edge. What you need to do is unpick the waistband and fold over at the top before reattatching the waist. This way it still hangs right and holds the pleats.

thanks for that but im not very good at things like that would hate to ruin it

When my daughter's kilt was slightly too long she wore braces as did a few others. then you can let it down to the perfect length as she grows. It never looked too short or too long for her.

If it's only slightly too long then I'd go with the braces too, a wee waistcoat over the top will hide the braces
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Default Kilt

You have been given good advice here..... a kilt should not have a hem - so never give it one.
    Shorten it at the waist.
    You can let it in or out too, by altering the first pleat.

When we were little we started wearing the kilts below our oxters and by the time we left school it was just a little too short !! What a magnificent garment.

Braces would be the answer for you just now.

Hi Ash.

For her dancing kilt its perfectly fine to hem from the bottom. You have the squares to guide you to hem it straight.

Ask Tanya who she would recommend to hem it for you if you dont dancy doing it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeechick View Post
    Hi Ash.

For her dancing kilt its perfectly fine to hem from the bottom. You have the squares to guide you to hem it straight.

Ask Tanya who she would recommend to hem it for you if you dont dancy doing it yourself.

hey thanks i spoke to her last night about it

thanks for all replies