Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Audio Books

Default Audio Books

Whilst killing time travelling down to Raigmore and back (expected bairn Charlatans due next week) I started using my MP3 in ernest again. I'm a lover of the spoken word as well as written and can often be caught listening to The Archers or the afternoon play on Radio 4 - but shh dinny tell anyone.
    Anyway I got an Audio book from the library for £1 a borrow and loaded it onto the MP3 player.
    I've just finished listening to True Grit by Charles Portis and very much enjoyed it. Totally recommend getting out or buying a listening book. Both Thurso and Wick librarys have a healthy stock of audio books which I will be working through shortly.
    Does anyone else on here use them and whats your verdict? I might get the book out to read now.
    I am the sundance kid, coming to you with a groove and a positive

I have some audio books for sale if anyone is interested

http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...307#post430307

My kids are older now and like to watch DVDs in the car but befor this we did use some audio books and they were fab - quite enjoyed listening myself even if they were children's stories! But after hearing "The Gruffalo" song ad infinitum I did get a wee bit sick of it!
    Thanks for yer view Charl - I have often thought of listening to a book on a long drive myself!

I wish I lived over there, I would buy your books Alanatkie.
    We have a fairly good collection as I love them, I put them on in the house while I'm doing housework, in the car, on my ipod!
    After years of resistance Dave has finally been bitten by the audio book bug and takes piles with him in the truck. He likes the really long ones, so he can drive 12 hours and listen to one story!
    It cracks me up, if I ring he chats for a minute or two and then says he has to get back to his story!!

I've had to join 3 libraries to try to keep them up to him! He does about 4000 - 5000 km per week, so he will listen to 4 or 5 books a week. I have even downloaded them online!
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

i spoke too soon saying i had finished True Grit, i had the last cd to listen to and had saved it for the bus back to Inverness. I thought i was being a clever cookie by tidyng up my MP3 player and deleted all but the last cd. and now.... it won't play the last cd. Oh how annoyed was I, as i had put the cd's back to the library weeks before. its a good job i know what happens or i might have had a hissy fit.

Wifie how can you be sick of the Gruffalo tune??? dum dum dum gruffalo, gruffalo dum dum..... its very moreish!!!!!

Lolabelle, I may try downloading some, hadn't occured to try that. Ta.

(bairn C is coming 2morow)
    I am the sundance kid, coming to you with a groove and a positive

Quote Originally Posted by the charlatans View Post
    i spoke too soon saying i had finished True Grit, i had the last cd to listen to and had saved it for the bus back to Inverness. I thought i was being a clever cookie by tidyng up my MP3 player and deleted all but the last cd. and now.... it won't play the last cd. Oh how annoyed was I, as i had put the cd's back to the library weeks before. its a good job i know what happens or i might have had a hissy fit.

Wifie how can you be sick of the Gruffalo tune??? dum dum dum gruffalo, gruffalo dum dum..... its very moreish!!!!!

Lolabelle, I may try downloading some, hadn't occured to try that. Ta.

(bairn C is coming 2morow)
    Really easily Charl! Will be thinkin about ya!

I love audio books, and listen to them every night in bed. Helps me to sleep.

I have borrowed a few from the library and they are great value. I have also bought a few books in MP3 format from Ebay. Don't know if they are all legal, but definately great value.

I have also downloaded a few from Librivox but always listen to the readers first. Some books are done very well, but others are terrible. Still, I shouldn't complain as these people who do the reading are volunteering their time.

I am at the moment working my way through a collection of James Patterson books and although I read many of them a few years ago, it is nice having someone else do the reading for me.

I've never listened to audio books, but have watched DVD's. Perhaps I should try some audio books to find out for myself how they are.