Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recipe for eggy bread wanted

Default Recipe for eggy bread wanted

Please can anyone tell me how to make eggy bread, we've just got 5 chickens and are eating scrambled egg, omelettes or fried eggs every morning and need some new recipes for breakfast as it is getting a bit boring

I just whisk up the eggs with a fork same as if you were making an omelette & put it on a dinner plate. put slice of bread on plate so it soakes up some of the egg & then turn over to do other side. Then pop in frying pan. There is a recipe below- it uses more ingredience.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...ad_74672.shtml
    Last edited by alanatkie; 02-Oct-08 at 16:28.

You could also whisk in some grated cheese, fry in a hot pan with a little butter or olive oil, add seasoning before cooking.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

originally from aberdeen,now live somewhere north of brig a doon

Smile eggy bread.

this is how i do it. break eggs into bowl,add a little milk, salt and pepper, whisk it all up, dip bread into the mixture making sure it is totaly covered on both sides, then put it in to a frying pan. job done.

How about a Frittata seeing as you have all them eggs.... you can bung just about anything in them
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Use fresh cream instead of milk and add grated apple, brown sugarand cinnamon to eggs and make as per normal eggy bread for a sweet variation.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Many thanks for your replies, we now have another recipe for breakfast, I haven't tried adding the cream yet but the eggy bread I made went down very well with him indoors.

try it with crumpets, whisk egg as usual dip crumpets in the eggs, turning once or twice. I add a little chopped chilli to eggs before whisking.

serve with crispy bacon and some maple syrup.

If you like a bitty "Tang" to your eggy bread, thinly spread mustard on the bread before dipping into the seasoned egg and milk mix.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

make some huge pancakes and stick a fried egg on top!! yummy!!

Here is a very yummy artery clogger.

Caramel-Soaked French Toast

1 ½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
    ¾ cup butter or margarine
    ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    10 (1 ¾-inch-thick) slices French bread
    4 eggs, beaten
    2 ½ cups milk or half-and-half
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
    ¼ cup butter or margarine, melted

Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly. Pour syrup evenly into a lightly greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Arrange bread slices over syrup.

Combine eggs, milk, vanilla, and salt; stir well. Gradually pour mixture over bread slices. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.

Combine 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon; stir well. Sprinkle evenly over soaked bread. Drizzle ¼ cup melted butter over bread. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 45 - 50 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.

Default Eggy Bread

I always use butter,not oil in pan, much better flavour. For a quick lunch, make eggy bread put 2 slices in frying pan for a minute. turn one over, put a cheese slice on it and then put the other slice on top with non cooked side facing up for a minute, then turn. delicious.
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - CONFUCIUS

after reading all these recipes i decided to have as i call it french toast for lunch, been ages since i had it and boy was it good.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Can any one tell me what French Bread is please,
    Muffin

Quote Originally Posted by muffin View Post
    Can any one tell me what French Bread is please,
    It is the long, unsliced, white bread shaped like a baguette.

Sorry, I am being more stupid than normal, I meant to ask what is French Toast,
    Muffin

Quote Originally Posted by muffin View Post
    Sorry, I am being more stupid than normal, I meant to ask what is French Toast,
    Muffin
    French toast is another name for eggy bread.

Eggy bread is not eggy bread unless you smother it in Robisons shreddless wonder marmalade..The orange realy brings out the flavour of the eggy bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Solus View Post
    try it with crumpets, whisk egg as usual dip crumpets in the eggs, turning once or twice. I add a little chopped chilli to eggs before whisking.

serve with crispy bacon and some maple syrup.
    Can highly recommend this recipe - total family favourite!

Make a cheese and ham sandwich then dip it in the egg mix and fry slowly letting the cheese melt. Absolutely scrum diddly icous!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast