Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Christmas Cake

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Christmas Cake

Is it true that you can make them quite far in advance? Anyone know when?

You can make Christmas Cake as far in advance as you like. It is so the flavours will develope over time. I know that to keep it most my mum use to take a skewer & prod holes in the bottom of the cake & pore a small amount of brandy or whisky over it.

I kinda thought I'd heard of folk doing that. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

Been known to make one in tattie holidays ( kids did the mixing the bowl licking) and yes to keep it moist, use skewer to make a few holes in top and top up brandy/whisky whichever you prefer.
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Well I made it! It's a bit burnt round the edges, is that ok? Can I cut those bits off before I ice it? I've fed it twice with brandy and it's looking good.

I got a recipe for a "tropical" christmas cake from Home & Freezer Digest Magazine (now defunct) many years ago. It has crushed pineapple in it which keeps it lovely and moist, and also tiny balls of marzipan. Must rake it out and maybe try it again this year.