Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Barrogill Hall

Default The Barrogill Hall

I wonder how many of us went to Sunday School in the Barrogill Hall - lots, I would think.
    Let's share our memories here.
    I recall going every Sunday afternoon, listening to the stories and singing the wonderful hymns.
    I particularly remember one Teacher - Mr Sinclair Lyall who returned after the war, looking so handsome in his RAF uniform.
    How I loved the Christmas Parties, the Picnics and the great 'baggies' of such treats from Willdag Miller and Chessie Clyne.

What do you remember?

Trinkie

Default Barrogill Hall

yes Trinkie -

I am one of the many folk who used to go to Sunday School and attend the parties and picnics. Your bag of goodies - usually an empire biscuit, a couple of sandwiches, sometimes a sausage roll or pie out of Wildags - occasionally an old penny sweetie was in there too - but it was great everyone swoping sandwiches and bits and bobs, nothing went to waste. Even if the sandwiches were covered in sand when on the picnic folk eat them saying a little bit of dirt did not hurt anyone.

Can remember Sunday School teacher was Jennifer Mackay - now Spence.

The place used to be alive with youngsters, but when came near Christmas Party or picnic time the numbers trebled - wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    yes Trinkie -

I am one of the many folk who used to go to Sunday School and attend the parties and picnics. Your bag of goodies - usually an empire biscuit, a couple of sandwiches, sometimes a sausage roll or pie out of Wildags - occasionally an old penny sweetie was in there too - but it was great everyone swoping sandwiches and bits and bobs, nothing went to waste. Even if the sandwiches were covered in sand when on the picnic folk eat them saying a little bit of dirt did not hurt anyone.

Can remember Sunday School teacher was Jennifer Mackay - now Spence.

The place used to be alive with youngsters, but when came near Christmas Party or picnic time the numbers trebled - wonder why?
    hey pat that hasnt changed lol, if the kids think there will be something good going to happen it amazing how many kids will join for a week or 2 lol.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

I remember e' Barrogill Hall and Sinclair Lyall.
    (Funnily enough I was trailing through Groats from 1962 in the library yesterday and there was a picture and article about him....wish I'd read it now!)
    Certainly remember picnic bags, a fire in the Hall and lots of kids probably sent there to give their mum's a bit of peace for a while! That's what I call the good old days!
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Thank you for your memories...
    Pat, I think you are much younger - .
    Dirdyweeker mentions the fire... Do you mean the huge belly stove with the long chimney reaching to the roof?
    On cold winter days the stove would be red hot, how we loved to sit close to it.

I think there was a kitchen and another room at the back where we would change our clothes for Plays or concerts.

On the Huddart Street side there was a flight of stairs - near Willdag Miller, and the main door was in Rutherlford Street - hope I'm right.

Speaking of Willdag, on Sundays in summer, we would have ice cream made by him - you supplied your own jug, and ran furiously home before it melted !

Happy Days
    Trinkie

Default Barrogill Hall

Trinkie
    The street was Barrogill St not Rutherford St - thats where the Hall got its name from I believe.
    Steps were on Huddart St side, through the back was where you did get changed for plays etc, there was a big room or two not sure, kitchen, toilets and a wide corridor to the steps.
    Sinclair Lyall was there but I cannot put a face to him at all - sometimes you cannot remember.
    Remeber the pot bellied black stove that used to throw out a lot of heat - it was great when you came in cold and wet, did not take long to dry but then when you left - oh did you feel the cold, made getting home that bit faster!
    Definitely older than Dirdyweeker.

Remember going to the Scouts concert there. They used a lot of the Caithness language in their sketches. Just wish I could remember. oh dear......!

Almost forgot. My sister had her wedding reception there in the 50's

Worked for Wildag,in the early 50's, delivering morning rolls. Sometimes not so easy in the middle of winter in these days. Can smell the hot butteries yet. yum yum

The thing that sticks in my mind the most about the Barrogill Hall, is the size of the doors inside. Maybe it was because I was small at the time but to me they were huge. I also seem to remember a stage in the main hall. Loved the picnics to Dunbeath with races and the baggies. Can also remember putting streamers out the bus window. Great days.

Default The Barrogill hall.

My memories of the Barrogill Hall are when it took on a different role in the month of December. It was there that the Post Office had their "Over-Flow" Sorting Office when the main sorting office in the market Square couldn't cope with all the mails during the "Christmas-Rush" period.
    Jimmy Miller almost permanently unemployed ( Late of Argyle Sq. & son of Neil the joiner ) got a job there each year as a loader. His job was to meet the train and load the hired mails lorries we each day. I was Boss at the temporary Sorting Office at the time, when one day Jimmy asked if it was time for him to go to the station. I noticed my watch had stopped so I picked up the telephone to check the correct time .................
    (You know ...@ the third stroke it will be four twenty nine and three seconds etc ) When I heard the time I told Jimmy to get a move on & I let him listen to the speaking-clock. Not being used to a telephone Jimmy took it in his hands cradle-like as if it were a baby and put his ear to the receiver. Then to my utter disbelief he said " Shay do at all aye time" ? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    Dirdyweeker mentions the fire... Do you mean the huge belly stove with the long chimney reaching to the roof? Trinkie
    That is the very one!
    Sunday school picnics and in fact most bus outings always meant streamers....just like Venture said. Never seem to use them now on a bus. Mind you there are not as many windows that open in a bus nowadays.

Smile

Those were the days, Nancy used to the teacher when i went Anne Macbeath and Rennie Malcom and Mrs Munro use to help partys and trips were good
    LIVING DOWN IN SLEEPY VALLEY

Some great stories coming in - many thanks.
    Of course you are right Pat, it was Barrogill Street !
    Rutherford was where my grannie packed the herring - I often played up there. Nearby was the Lemonade factory.

Poultney Lad - I remember many of the names you mention.
    Scaraben - that was a great story ! I do remember the Hall being used for the Christmas Mail.
    Venture, it did seem an enormous place at the time, the height of the ceiling etc. The sound of voices echoing through. It had that special feeling to it, we seldom missed a Sunday.
    Do you remember when a man came from Peterhead to teach on the evils of Strong Drink ?? ''You will all go to the bottom of the bottomless pit'' sort of style !!

Yes, I remember the Outings and the Streamers on the bus. AND the singing ! How we loved all of that.
    Only yesterday I helped out with a school outing where we had an hour on the bus. Another grannie and I began to sing, but alas, the children didn't know our songs, and we knew very few of theirs. The children liked what we sang though, and said, more, more !!
    On the bus for our Barrogill Hall picnic, we always sang She'll be coming round the Mountain, with the verse, She'll be eating Willdag's biscuits !!

Domino - so it was you who delivered our morning rolls and butteries. Many many thanks. Like magic they appeared on the doorstep each morning, still warm ! Barrogill Hall and Willdag's Message Boy ! You can hold your head high indeed!

Thanks to you all,
    Trinkie
    Last edited by trinkie; 01-Oct-08 at 08:01. Reason: error

I totally remember going to the barrogill hall sunday school and all the picnics. I remember vividly singing 'rollin over , rolling over,my cup's full of running over' etc. Doing all the actions I can still see Nancy standing there with a pale blue skirt and jacket doing the actions!!
    Sunday school picnics, streamers (so excited getting to put a streamer out the bus window), singing 'ye canna shove yer grannie of a bus', pies, sand, being attacked by black headed gulls, plastic sandles, your best summer frock and baggies!
    OMG the days of innocence eh
    He who laughs last - 'Probably didn't get it!'

Trinkie what a fabulous thread! I am thoroughly enjoyin readin it! I am vehemently opposed to litter but the streamers out the window sound fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by tisme View Post
    I totally remember going to the barrogill hall sunday school and all the picnics. I remember vividly singing 'rollin over , rolling over,my cup's full of running over' etc. Doing all the actions I can still see Nancy standing there with a pale blue skirt and jacket doing the actions!!
    Sunday school picnics, streamers (so excited getting to put a streamer out the bus window), singing 'ye canna shove yer grannie of a bus', pies, sand, being attacked by black headed gulls, plastic sandles, your best summer frock and baggies!
    OMG the days of innocence eh
    Not being critical as I well remember all these b ut was it not "running over"? as opposed to "rolling over"?

Trinkie....if your granny packed herring I am wondering did she work for my Grandad / Dad as they had a fish gutting yard in Rutherford Street.

Quote Originally Posted by dirdyweeker View Post
    Not being critical as I well remember all these b ut was it not "running over"? as opposed to "rolling over"
    Yip you are correct, I was getting the actions of rolling your hands over each other, mixed up with the actual words. Just got masel too caught up in the memory
    Last edited by tisme; 01-Oct-08 at 11:29. Reason: typo

Dirdyweeker - The Fish yard could have been Taylors, I'm really not sure now. I think it was half way along on the left from the top of Huddart Street.
    You are right about the song too -- Running over, my cup's full and rinning over ! with the actions ! This could be for another thread, but do you remember the Mission Tent coming to the Brae each summer - we sang such songs there too .... I loved it.

A friend was telling me her mother went to the Barrogill Hall as a little girl in the very early days - 1910s or before. There was a Meeting of some VIPs sitting on the platform with a huge bowl of fruit on the table in front of them. This little girl left her mother and strolled onto the platform and asked for an orange - a big treat at the time !
    Yes - she was given one.

Anyone know when the Hall was built, and which church it belonged to? It could have been the Bridge Street church. Sinclair Lyall was a member there if I remember correctly.

Trinkie

Was definately the Bridge Street church that it belonged to. We had to go to the Bridge Street church and it was the same people involved in both. Remember Mr Roy coming up to the house for his tea and cake!! We used to be well warned that when he came in we had to sit and not move or say a word. We knew fine well what would happen if we didn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast