Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dupuytrens Contracture

Default Dupuytrens Contracture

Okay - bit of a long shot this one.
    This condition is of the hand and causes the ring finger or/and the little finger to claw into the palm. Usually there are benign tumours which cause lumps in the palm or at the base of the fingers affected. It is endemic in Scandinavia and it's reckoned that Vikings were particularly afflicted with the disease. Many excavated corpses have been found to have been affected. I just wondered if there is much of this in the Caithness area, given it's Viking heritage. It affects men more than women, usually in middle age or older. It is also linked with diabetes though by no means always, and alcohol consumption - I hear the Vikings liked the odd nip.

Strangely the disease is unheard of in places like Africa or India. It is definitely a condition 'of the north'

I admit a vested interest. I've had surgery to both hands to correct this. It is inconvenient, needing two months off work and uncomfortable rather than painful. The huge clumpy bandage is the worst bit, especially in warm weather.

So, have you suffered the condition, or know anyone who has?
    All replies treated in confidence <chuckle>

Are you sure its not from all those hours spent at the wheel?
    In mitigation Mr Bruce de Wert said his client had been drinking and could remember little of the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by landmarker
    Okay - bit of a long shot this one.
    This condition is of the hand and causes the ring finger or/and the little finger to claw into the palm. Usually there are benign tumours which cause lumps in the palm or at the base of the fingers affected. It is endemic in Scandinavia and it's reckoned that Vikings were particularly afflicted with the disease. Many excavated corpses have been found to have been affected. I just wondered if there is much of this in the Caithness area, given it's Viking heritage. It affects men more than women, usually in middle age or older. It is also linked with diabetes though by no means always, and alcohol consumption - I hear the Vikings liked the odd nip.

Strangely the disease is unheard of in places like Africa or India. It is definitely a condition 'of the north'

I admit a vested interest. I've had surgery to both hands to correct this. It is inconvenient, needing two months off work and uncomfortable rather than painful. The huge clumpy bandage is the worst bit, especially in warm weather.

So, have you suffered the condition, or know anyone who has?
    All replies treated in confidence <chuckle>
    I know someone who has this condition. She has had 2 operations now to correct it. the last operation wasn't successful and the finger is now stuck straight out, which she finds worse than before. Im pretty sure she had a toe removed too..
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Exclamation

I know several people in the area who suffer from this condition, one or two of my bowling friends suffer from it and it makes life very awkward for them, and they have to lay off from time to time. It perhaps wouldn't be so bad if it affected only one finger but it appears to affect several and at different times, hence several small ops and the lay off. I guess it is fairly common in the area. Unable to comment on the Viking link, but it does make sence.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater
    ..... Unable to comment on the Viking link, but it does make sence.
    Yes, experts agree it usually means Viking genes. I took some small consolation in this when I missed out on sixteen weeks pay :-(

SSP = £60 a week - not good.

thanks for the replies folks.

My Grandfather (Caithness born) suffered from this problem, he had surgery but as far as I remember it did not help much and his finger was always curled in toward his palm.
    Last edited by Julia; 11-Jan-06 at 13:49.

krieve Guest

I knew a lady who had this condition she also had treatment did'nt help much she had diabetes and she also liked a dram.

Both my Father and one of my Uncles had this syndrome, My father I am sure called it "Ploughmans Hand" for some reason, both had worked on a farm at one time or another so maybe thats is why he called it so. Both were Caithness born and bred
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

That's interesting - I can see why 'Ploughmans Hand' might be used as a term. It also suggests that it was quite common - in an agricultural community.

I'm told (yesterday) that it hasn't quite gone away in me left hand.
    This wasn't such a long shot after all.

We often have a laugh about it 'cos we remember that old t.v. series 'the Invaders' (deserted diner on a lonely road etc.etc. David Vincent???remember? The only way to spot the aliens was a bent little finger. I could have had a role lol.

I know of someone that has this and there a brickie they say it because they have working with cold blocks also fishing men can get it too working with the creels and hauling cold wet nets its like white finger you dont notice at first it just creeps up over the years .

It can be very aggresive once it starts off.
    For the genetic connection check this out and scroll halfway down the page.
    Margaret Thatcher had it!! I thought we had nothing in common....such is life.

http://www.pncl.co.uk/~belcher/infor...asciectomy.pdf

Smile

My pinkie on my right hand is bent and has a small lump on the knuckle...........does that mean Im an Alien:{ It does look knid of Alienated from the rest of my fingers like it has a mind of its own, doesnt caues me any problems though. Only that I seem to have gone a bit dyslexic all of a sudden:}

The condition you speak of though landmarker must be a bit of a pain you have my sympathies, not very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    My pinkie on my right hand is bent and has a small lump on the knuckle...........!
    Is the lump on the inside of the finger, or on the palm?
    What age are you - if I may ask?
    Male or female?
    Is it bent from the middle joint inwards?
    If so you are probably an alien but yer in good company - apart from Maggie ;-) Bill Nigh has it - bad.

Smile

Youre getting a bit personal Landmarker:} My pinkie is bent from the middle joint inwards, the lump is on the knuckle, I do have Viking blood in me, Im middle aged, female, I dont drink {sometimes I do} and thats all Im telling you.:} I knew I was different from other people :} Im quite happy being an Alien though I dont mind:}

Whos Bill Nigh?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ice box
    I know of someone that has this and there a brickie they say it because they have working with cold blocks also fishing men can get it too working with the creels and hauling cold wet nets its like white finger you dont notice at first it just creeps up over the years .
    I noticed you mentioned white finger. I often thought this was to do with circulation...am i right? i've noticed the last few winters i've been getting white fingers only 2 on 1 hand mind you... the cold plays a big part in it as it does'nt affect me in the warmer weather.

Quote Originally Posted by pooh pooh
    I noticed you mentioned white finger. I often thought this was to do with circulation...am i right? i've noticed the last few winters i've been getting white fingers only 2 on 1 hand mind you... the cold plays a big part in it as it does'nt affect me in the warmer weather.
    white finger is when the nerve enddings in the fngers are damaged by vibration usually if working tools ie hilti drillls, jumping jacks, concrete air pokers in cold damp conditions it starts of with tinggling feeling in the finger tips and then by time you lose the feeling but not all people will get this usually people in the construction trade .

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ice box
    white finger is when the nerve enddings in the fngers are damaged by vibration usually if working tools ie hilti drillls, jumping jacks, concrete air pokers in cold damp conditions it starts of with tinggling feeling in the finger tips and then by time you lose the feeling but not all people will get this usually people in the construction trade .

Well im no in the construction trade...yes it does feel tingly, strange..

Pooh Pooh, try Googling "Vibration White Finger" which is an Industrial Injury.
    i'm not sure just what kind if machinery causes it but it might be worth a check.

On Julia’s point about her grandfather's operation, I'm not sure how they treat the problem now but I think the old treatment was to lock the finger in either a straight or a completely curled position.
    I suppose the decision about which was done depended on whether you wanted it curled "completely out of the way" or straight "because it wasn't as noticeable".

Do you know if a better solution has been found landmarker? Or do they now take the attitude, "the cure's as bad as the problem, you'll just have to live with it."
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    Pooh Pooh, try Googling "Vibration White Finger" which is an Industrial Injury.
    i'm not sure just what kind if machinery causes it but it might be worth a check.
    Thanks JAWS i will have a look.

Default Bent fingers

I am intrigued by this..I'm not from Caithness.but have crooked fingers on both hands which is a generic thing within the family.Fortunately none of the 4 fingers..the little one and the ring finger next has ever developed any sort of lump or arthritis.
    I have always believed myself to be of Celtic stock but know that in the distant past The Vikings did not only raid but may have settled in my home county.
    Will follow this thread with interest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast