Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Dupuytrens Contracture

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dupuytrens Contracture

Okay - bit of a long shot this one.
    This condition is of the hand and causes the ring finger or/and the little finger to claw into the palm. Usually there are benign tumours which cause lumps in the palm or at the base of the fingers affected. It is endemic in Scandinavia and it's reckoned that Vikings were particularly afflicted with the disease. Many excavated corpses have been found to have been affected. I just wondered if there is much of this in the Caithness area, given it's Viking heritage. It affects men more than women, usually in middle age or older. It is also linked with diabetes though by no means always, and alcohol consumption - I hear the Vikings liked the odd nip.

Strangely the disease is unheard of in places like Africa or India. It is definitely a condition 'of the north'

I admit a vested interest. I've had surgery to both hands to correct this. It is inconvenient, needing two months off work and uncomfortable rather than painful. The huge clumpy bandage is the worst bit, especially in warm weather.

So, have you suffered the condition, or know anyone who has?
    All replies treated in confidence <chuckle>

Are you sure its not from all those hours spent at the wheel?
    In mitigation Mr Bruce de Wert said his client had been drinking and could remember little of the incident.

Exclamation

I know several people in the area who suffer from this condition, one or two of my bowling friends suffer from it and it makes life very awkward for them, and they have to lay off from time to time. It perhaps wouldn't be so bad if it affected only one finger but it appears to affect several and at different times, hence several small ops and the lay off. I guess it is fairly common in the area. Unable to comment on the Viking link, but it does make sence.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater
    ..... Unable to comment on the Viking link, but it does make sence.
    Yes, experts agree it usually means Viking genes. I took some small consolation in this when I missed out on sixteen weeks pay :-(

SSP = £60 a week - not good.

thanks for the replies folks.

My Grandfather (Caithness born) suffered from this problem, he had surgery but as far as I remember it did not help much and his finger was always curled in toward his palm.
    Last edited by Julia; 11-Jan-06 at 13:49.

krieve Guest

I knew a lady who had this condition she also had treatment did'nt help much she had diabetes and she also liked a dram.

Quote Originally Posted by landmarker
    Okay - bit of a long shot this one.
    This condition is of the hand and causes the ring finger or/and the little finger to claw into the palm. Usually there are benign tumours which cause lumps in the palm or at the base of the fingers affected. It is endemic in Scandinavia and it's reckoned that Vikings were particularly afflicted with the disease. Many excavated corpses have been found to have been affected. I just wondered if there is much of this in the Caithness area, given it's Viking heritage. It affects men more than women, usually in middle age or older. It is also linked with diabetes though by no means always, and alcohol consumption - I hear the Vikings liked the odd nip.

Strangely the disease is unheard of in places like Africa or India. It is definitely a condition 'of the north'

I admit a vested interest. I've had surgery to both hands to correct this. It is inconvenient, needing two months off work and uncomfortable rather than painful. The huge clumpy bandage is the worst bit, especially in warm weather.

So, have you suffered the condition, or know anyone who has?
    All replies treated in confidence <chuckle>
    I know someone who has this condition. She has had 2 operations now to correct it. the last operation wasn't successful and the finger is now stuck straight out, which she finds worse than before. Im pretty sure she had a toe removed too..
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

this is also a sign of diseases, especially of the lungs which is very strange.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by Fran
    this is also a sign of diseases, especially of the lungs which is very strange.
    That's a new one on me Fran.
    To Lizz: Celts are also linked to this.
    Phoenix: It 'could be worse' is my stock response when people offer sympathy. As diseases go it's one of the better one lurking in my genes.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by landmarker
    That's a new one on me Fran.
    To Lizz: Celts are also linked to this.
    Phoenix: It 'could be worse' is my stock response when people offer sympathy. As diseases go it's one of the better one lurking in my genes.
    I noticed this today.... Im a smoker, cigarette held between index and middle finger, ring finger and pinkie were curled in towards palm while smoking. I had never noticed this before. Not sure is it because of this thread and reading about the condition. Just wondered if there was a link with the way a cigarette is held between the fingers? I did read that it was linked to smoking and drinking. Maybe in a few 100 yrs time if humanity lives that long there will be people born with cupped hands that will not stay still due to the fact that we as a generation are sat at computers with a mouse in our hand:} The Celts are linked to this too thats interesting........I remember reading years ago that it was because of the Celts that depression was such a common illness, cant remember why this was though. Ill bet the Vikings and the Celts werent thinking at the time wed better not do that incase our children and our childrens children suffer. If that is the case why cant it be removed from the memory/genes or whatever, surely we dont or shouldnt have to suffer for the sins of our fathers or mothers? Im rambling on here ............ just a thought:}

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    ........I remember reading years ago that it was because of the Celts that depression was such a common illness, cant remember why this was though. Ill bet the Vikings and the Celts werent thinking at the time wed better not do that incase our children and our childrens children suffer. If that is the case why cant it be removed from the memory/genes or whatever, surely we dont or shouldnt have to suffer for the sins of our fathers or mothers? Im rambling on here ............ just a thought:}
    Weren't the Celts scattered to the periphery of these islands. After a few centuries subjugated by the Romans I think they were overwhelmed by the Angles, Saxons & Jutes. Not to mention the Vikings from the north.I think after that lot turned up I'd be a bit depressed meself !

Anyway this finger thing does have a tenuous link with alcohol, but you'd have to be genetically pre-disposed anyway to develop it. Did I say it is unheard of in warm climates. Black people & brown people do not have it.
    I's also linked with diabetes but again, by no means everyone with diabetes gets it.

I'd get it checked out soon. NHS waiting lists being what they are.