Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Gig 2009?

Default Big Gig 2009?

So whats everyone thinking about that for a thread? lol

I was on another forum a few of my pals use, and it was mentioned already.

What do you all think?
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Default May the lord have mercy

Forgive him, he's young and has a lot of time on his sticks. listen can you here it,,,,its feedback from the, i cant bring myself to mention the aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh,,, THE HORROR,,,YOU HAVE ALL HEARD OF THE CREDIT CRUNCH, NOW SIT BACK FOR THE CREDIBILITY CRUNCH, or is it the ability ssshhhh!!!! you did'nt here that here.
    Oedipus was the first man to plug the generation gap

It could do with a revamp in all honesty.

Make it a 2 day thing again, with the option of people camping, obviously this would most likely lead to a change of venue but would this be a bad thing?

Look at how much the Relay For Life raised, if we had a 2 day gig with camping and entertainment all through the night, surely they would raise more money.

Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by loganbiffy View Post
    It could do with a revamp in all honesty.

Make it a 2 day thing again, with the option of people camping, obviously this would most likely lead to a change of venue but would this be a bad thing?

Look at how much the Relay For Life raised, if we had a 2 day gig with camping and entertainment all through the night, surely they would raise more money.

Just a suggestion.
    But the Race for Life was for a great cause, what is the big gig in aid of? I really don't think the two are comparable. People are interested in saving lives more than listening the same locals bands doing the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Blast! View Post
    But the Race for Life was for a great cause, what is the big gig in aid of? I really don't think the two are comparable. People are interested in saving lives more than listening the same locals bands doing the same thing...
    well said!

and that is why these bands feel unsupported sometimes.

that same old thing is their talent, and skill.

that same old thing is their kindness and respect to play for free on a cold rainy day on a leaky trailer.

i have immense respect for the bands who turn up and do the same old thing.

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon View Post
    and that is why these bands feel unsupported sometimes.

that same old thing is their talent, and skill.

that same old thing is their kindness and respect to play for free on a cold rainy day on a leaky trailer.

i have immense respect for the bands who turn up and do the same old thing.
    Not interested. Give me something fresh. Something new. I'm tired of listening to bands who turn their amps to the max and thrash away.

How about something new?

Recently, Astronot, Crimson Tide and Boss Hogg have been good. Apart from them...meh. Totally disinterested.

Can we have a band from a different angle please?

I'd like to hear something different but I really can't see the Big Gig offering that.

Local musicians seem to aspire to other local musicians, how about branching out?

Take a gamble, try something new!
    Last edited by Blast!; 27-Sep-08 at 03:15.

Not interested. Give me something fresh. Something new. I'm tired of listening to bands who turn their amps to the max and thrash away.

How about something new?

Recently, Astronot, Crimson Tide and Boss Hogg have been good. Apart from them...meh. Totally disinterested.

Can we have a band from a different angle please?

I'd like to hear something different but I really can't see the Big Gig offering that.

Local musicians seem to aspire to other local musicians, how about branching out?

Take a gamble, try something new!
    So what is it exactly what you want?
    You obviously haven't been out in wee while by the time you are referring to Boss Hogg (no disrespect to them)

Too many people are so negative towards young local bands, to me you sound like you want your youth back.

I mean I don't know you but you really just sound bitter and are obviously not interested in the whole community thing.
    If you had actually bothered to listen recently you would hear different stuff.

As K Dragon said, we offer our services for free and enjoy the day, what exactly do you offer?
    Forgive me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by loganbiffy; 27-Sep-08 at 04:49.

Quote Originally Posted by loganbiffy View Post
    So what is it exactly what you want?
    You obviously haven't been out in wee while by the time you are referring to Boss Hogg (no disrespect to them)

Too many people are so negative towards young local bands, to me you sound like you want your youth back.

I mean I don't know you but you really just sound bitter and are obviously not interested in the whole community thing.
    If you had actually bothered to listen recently you would hear different stuff.

As K Dragon said, we offer our services for free and enjoy the day, what exactly do you offer?
    Forgive me if I am wrong.
    Want my youth back? I'm probably younger than you pal!

I just don't see the format of the Big Gig working. It's held at the wrong time of the year for a start - the same weekend as Belladrum is a complete joke. I realise this is due to the gala, but it CAN be changed, regardless of what others say. And if TTIA say it must be on gala week then break away and take control yourself.

To be honest, I'm not that fussed. I've been to the Big Gig a couple of times and didn't enjoy it. Just one man's opinion in the end.

Want my youth back? I'm probably younger than you pal!

I just don't see the format of the Big Gig working. It's held at the wrong time of the year for a start - the same weekend as Belladrum is a complete joke. I realise this is due to the gala, but it CAN be changed, regardless of what others say. And if TTIA say it must be on gala week then break away and take control yourself.

To be honest, I'm not that fussed. I've been to the Big Gig a couple of times and didn't enjoy it. Just one man's opinion in the end.
    I didn't say you were not younger than me, i said it SOUNDED like you wanted your youth back.

You don't see the format of the big gig working?
    If you had bothered to read my post before quoting it you would see that i said it is time it had a revamp, and yes that included moving it to accommodate people going to belladrum.

I am all for it changing and setting it on a different weekend where it is not going to clash with anything.

Ok it is your opinion, you don't like it, fair enough.
    Not really any need to criticize bands though is there?
    You do better??

There's a lack of Indie bands in Thurso (pretty sure there's 0) I'll make one, something different, innit?

Though im sure Logan you would disagree and say there are too many indie bands in Thurso lol

I imagine our band would be classed as indie but...Indie doesn't really mean much, I don't think. People describe bands like Bright Eyes and Vampire weekend as indie...But there's nothing similar about them. Its just the weird way it is.

Anyway Kenneth, I've posted it before a gazillion times, never to be taken on, which is fair enough...each to their own an what not...but heres the link to the myspace. (www.myspace.com/themaydaysinternet or www.bebo.com/themaydaysmusic , the Bebo has more tunes) The recordings are shite tho...and the songs are pretty old now, probably time to fork out an do sum proper recording with the new songs!!

Big Gig...I'd have it indoors, somewhere small-ish so all it takes is a small crowd to gather a bit of atmosphere. Thats the ticket!
    Last edited by theboysintheband; 27-Sep-08 at 15:22.

Quote Originally Posted by theboysintheband View Post
    I imagine our band would be classed as indie but...Indie doesn't really mean much, I don't think. People describe bands like Bright Eyes and Vampire weekend as indie...But there's nothing similar about them. Its just the weird way it is.

Anyway Kenneth, I've posted it before a gazillion times, never to be taken on, which is fair enough...each to their own an what not...but heres the link to the myspace. (www.myspace.com/themaydaysinternet or www.bebo.com/themaydaysmusic , the Bebo has more tunes) The recordings are shite tho...and the songs are pretty old now, probably time to fork out an do sum proper recording with the new songs!!

Big Gig...I'd have it indoors, somewhere small-ish so all it takes is a small crowd to gather a bit of atmosphere. Thats the ticket!
    Aye cheers boysintheband/ some friend of Scollay haha

I had a wee listen to your music aaages ago on bebo, I think I left a comment, but thought you guys were brilliant! I don't really like any of the local bands up here, they're all fine chaps and talented...just the music, not my cup of tea. Like what you lads do though, keep it up. Maybe in a few years time I will be challenging you, if my generation would pick up a guitar and stop listening to Metallica lol

I think the Big Gig is always gonna be a bunch of bands in a trailer. No offense to the people organising, it's the best they can come up with, with the very limited budget they have. If local business' aren't willing to sponsor the event by helping out with getting the PA/stage/lights etc sorted, then it is gonna be as it is.

I do believe that Colin, an indie band from Wick played at the Big Gig last year. I'd agree that the line-up isn't very varied... but again, if only certain bands are asked/ask to play, then what can the organisers do. If certain bands choose not to play because it's not their scene, then that's up to them.

My band played two years in a row. We didn't play this year, like many from last years event, in the hope that some other bands would be given the chance to fill the gap(s). It just seemed like the, dare i say it, left overs from last year. No offense to any of the bands that played this year, that statement comes out a lot worse than it's intended.

I believe a re-think is required. There's a basis for a decent event, I just don't think people have the time, energy, contacts or know-how to make it as good as it could be. The TTIA committee have a lot on their plate for one week. The Big Gig is a small piece in a big puzzle.

Good luck for 2009.

EDIT: I should also point out, I personally, don't think many bands, including my own, did enough to promote the Big Gig. They might have said "we're on at 4pm" or whatever, but they didn't promote the event as a whole. Not that I'm aware of anyway. We could do with getting some more bands from the Wick side through to play at it.
    Last edited by Jeid; 27-Sep-08 at 17:45.

Indeed I am!

Cheers for that but, like I'm sure most people on here would say about there bands, it's a better deal live. So if ever the opportunity arises, come along.

What bands are there actually on the go in Wick...I've been at home for about 3 or 4 months and have barely seen a local band...its all bands from the south now. Where do the young troops get gigs these days?

What happened to the idea of gettin' a slightly bigger band from down the line to Headline the Big Gig? Was it ruled out because its a local bands thing? If so I think thats a bit mad.

Having been a former TTIA committee member I can say it's probably mainly down to money. As has been mentioned previously if sponsorship was forthcoming to bring a better-known band to headline then that would be ideal.

However the one thing which has put me off the Big Gig and other outdoor events in recent years has been the inclement weather. The Relay for Life was so jammy in that respect and cleaned up due to a number of reasons: the cause itself; good organisation; & months of pre-planning (albeit using a tried & tested format). However no-one could have predicted such a balmy evening and, had it been otherwise, it would have been a fly in the ointment, tho would not have been a total washout, such was the dedication of those taking part.

So, what's needed? Either a large marquee (which costs megabucks) or a sizeable indoor venue (none of which Thurso currently has). Maybe if a multi-purpose facility at Viewfirth (preferably with indoor & outdoor capabilities making it 'weatherproof') gets going it could be the saviour of such events, otherwise it will always be at the mercy of Caithness' micro-climate.

bingo!

nailed it on the head.

Maybe something along the lines of a set up like this would maybe be a good idea for the big gig?

No need to worry about where it's set up, Just have it where it was this year, But in a tent.
    ( something to look into as for price ranges ) Halkirk Gala kinda sized ones even?

Just so you know what's going on here.

Security told band ( twin atlantic ) that they had to stop playing because things were getting out of hand, But singer ( Sam McTrusty ) said to security, If i can get them all to sit down can we carry on.

so he asked them, and there you go
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

I think a tent is out of the equation unless they get some form of sponsorship for it. They're quiet expensive to hire out are they not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast