Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slugs

Default Slugs

I've now officially run out of patience with these ugly blighters.
    We've tried pellets - yes I know they are not particularly eco-friendly but still they are there every morning...struggling up the path. At the weekend I moved a couple of rocks only to find several of them snoozing in their slimey hovel.
    So now it's the salt. I don't enjoy it but it has to be done. They have ravaged loads of bedding plants, and most unforgivably have nibbled away an elder cutting I was very proud of...sambuca negra...lovely black foliage
    anticipated in a year or three and the beggars killed it off in infancy.

Salt does away with them fairly slowly ...it looks as though it might hurt too to be honest. I'm not fully conversant with the pain threshold of a slug. What's the alternative? Squash 'em? Too messy on the boots.

Frm now on it's all out war and I'm taking few prisoners.
    Messy molluscs and your giveaway trails of slime beware!
    Toboggan is on the rampage armed with a huge new pot of salt.

Aye Percy, salt and mebee even a wee ale trap does it for me 'orrible creatures.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I've heard of the 'ale trap' but, I just cannot face........

a) sharing my beer
    b) rising to find a collective of drowned molluscs huddled together very dead. ;-)

I agee with a), which is why I use hubbies ale and with regards to b) - aww bless we found your softer side

I find the ale results quite satisfying
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I'll put in a pennyworth for you to consider what to do with the slug problem...............Leopard slugs, that's what you need.....Yes I know they are slugs but, they are the gardeners helpers who eat the pesky ones who devour the plants. These guys eat the baddies.
    You can't mistake them as they are big growing to between five and seven inches in length, brown with leopard spots on top half and more like stripes on the bottom. Try googling for a pic and should you ever come across one...take it home. I have a few of them and since they came to me last year I have had no bad slug problems.

Default hedgehogs

get a few hedgehogs in the garden - they seem to love the slugs, my slug population is certainly down this year and I believe it is my little prickly pals who are responsible. Plants are not as eaten as usual. I am certainly encouraging the hedgehogs to hang around by leaving out some dog food at night or in an area where the dogs cannot get at during the day.

My terriers certainly know when the prickly pals are in their back garden, prickly ones just roll into a ball and dogs go mad barking at these strange things which dared to come onto their bit of ground.

If they persist try using sand round your plants - the slugs do not like sharp or dry things.
    I cut large fizzy drink bottles into 1" rings, put over plants and sprinkle sand inside circle - works quite well when I remeber to do it.
    If you know an electrician get some old bits of copper wire and put it on the ground around your plants - understand the slugs do not like that either, anything is worth a try.

Default coffee grounds

forgot about putting down your old coffee grounds - they do not like crawling over that either.

Having a B&B I use quite a few eggs - I dry these in the oven, keep them until I have quite a bag full, crush them, sprinkle over the garden and various troughs - keeps them away from plants but often slugs go into base of troughs.
    You can also buy crushed egg shells by the bucketful from some of the large garden suppliers - bought some 'organic slug repellant', got it home and discovered it was crushed eggshells (it was a bit niffy but smell soon disappeared) - bought it from makro if memory serves me right but have seen it several places since.

Blimey! those 'Leapord slugs' sound a bit scary.
    A slug for all seasons.

Thanks for the tips anyway.
    We actually put a whole load of chipped bark down on sunday and haven't seen one since - fingers x'd.

I have loads of leopard slugs and hate them also as they try to slime their way into my rabbit hutches and shed so when I see them they get smooshed.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Beer in a pot, they love it.Find them all floating in the morning, and no need for salt that makes them slushy.

Are slugs alcoholic or do they just like a bevvy now and again?

Definately alchoholic, they drink to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Definately alchoholic, they drink to the death.
    I must have been a slug in a previous incarnation.

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    I must have been a slug in a previous incarnation.
    Did you used to slime your way round peoples gardens eating the plants.

Yes Justine, I also liked to drown myself in beer. The perfect end to a perfect salad.

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    Yes Justine, I also liked to drown myself in beer. The perfect end to a perfect salad.
    Nice one.

12 bore shotgun, take no prisoners

Can't add much to the slug debate, but a wee thought about your slug-destroyed sambuca negra . . .

Don't be too dismayed. I expect this is Sambucus nigra Black Lace - lovely feathery deep purple leaves. It is grafted on a Sambucus nigra rootstock, so a cutting would be unlikely to survive anyway.

That's why they are so expensive
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by gardeninginagale View Post
    Can't add much to the slug debate, but a wee thought about your slug-destroyed sambuca negra . . .

Don't be too dismayed. I expect this is Sambucus nigra Black Lace - lovely feathery deep purple leaves. It is grafted on a Sambucus nigra rootstock, so a cutting would be unlikely to survive anyway.

That's why they are so expensive
    Oh! I did succeed with two a couple of years ago. One was since wiped out with a football retrievers feet...the other thrives in my daughters garden. Lovely shrub/bush. I've planted some seeds recently and will see how they do.

Default slugs

I'm with PAT encourage hedgehog's into your garden, or go out at night with a torch when they are out in their droves, collect them up and dispose of them humanly
    Families are like fudge,mostly sweet with a few nuts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast