Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Mowat Comes Out Strongly Against North Caithness Cliffs Extension

Default Bill Mowat Comes Out Strongly Against North Caithness Cliffs Extension

Consultation On Proposed Marine Extension To North Caithness Cliffs
    Ex councillor Bill Mowat has sent us this copy of his response the Scottish Natural Heritage consultation on an extension to the North Caithness Cliffs 'Special Protection Area'. At a recent meeting of Caithness councillors meeting in Wick where representatives of SNH set out what they were trying to do the councillors stated similar doubts about the extensions in Caithness at a time when the potential for marine energy was being looked at as a potentially vital component in securing future employment in the county and for the whole of Scotland and the UK in exploiting one of our biggest renewable energy sources. The Caithness councillors left the SNH representatives in no doubt that they were against the proposed extension particularly at this crucial time and in the light of he fact the SNH is a consultee in every planning application for the areas concerned and can make representations to change or alter locations and make suggestions on how to lessen perceived threats to wildlife. Opposition has been expressed by several local groups and bodies to this extension at this crucial time for marine energy developments........... Bill Fernie

The consultation by SNH ends on 22 September 2008 and can be found at http://www.snh.org.uk/about/directives/ab-dir15aa.asp Anyone wishing to make representations about the proposals needs to do it in the next two days.

Link to Bill mowats submission http://www.caithness.org/fpb/2008/se..._extension.htm

What do others think about this extension? Good thing or likely to damage the chances for Caithness to get marine energy going in the Pentland Firth?
    Last edited by Bill Fernie; 20-Sep-08 at 11:20.

I do believe that SNH have a very valid point about protecting the sea immediately infront of the nest sites on the cliffs, whether 2km is going too far I would not know.
    In the summer I took my niece up to 'sea-bird' city at Duncansby and we were enjoying a lovely walk round the cliffs viewing the birds with binoculars when along came a boat and ploughed straight through a host of what were, I suspect, fledgling Guillemots sitting on the water. We were shocked and horrified by the boats actions. How many were killed is impossible to tell, maybe they all dived down and got away but it certainly didn't look like it.

Having read Bill Mowats submission and am presuming that all information is accurate and true, there appears to be no benefit to SNH and their proposed extension. It would seem to serve no purpose or benefits to the breeding colonies of birds and other wildlife that exists within the area.
    The opportunity for Caithness to play a primary roll in renewable energy is priceless as, without non polluting energy sources, birds, wildlife and even human life will have no environment in which to exist. I believe SNH should withdraw their planned extension, in order that we can work alongside nature in preserving the planet we share while, creating a healthier economic future for Caithness.

Does this also take into consideration an ex councillors boat hitting our beautiful coast!!!!!

I was at the recent Dunnet and Canisbay Community Council meeting where a SNH representative stated the case and explained that SNH in this case represented the Scottish Government putting forward EU proposed legislation.
    This legislation affects all of Europe, not just Caithness. DCCC Councillors appeared unable to understand this, and were very offensive in their treatment of the SNH representative. Mr Mowatt was also very aggressive.
    The Chairman was ineffective.
    I telephoned the SNH representative the following day and explained that I was ashamed at the way she had been treated.

How far is the nearest turbine from the Caithness coast?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    I was at the recent Dunnet and Canisbay Community Council meeting where a SNH representative stated the case and explained that SNH in this case represented the Scottish Government putting forward EU proposed legislation.
    This legislation affects all of Europe, not just Caithness. DCCC Councillors appeared unable to understand this, and were very offensive in their treatment of the SNH representative. Mr Mowatt was also very aggressive.
    The Chairman was ineffective.
    I telephoned the SNH representative the following day and explained that I was ashamed at the way she had been treated.

There's a surprise, your going to stick your nose into another renewable energy scheme and try your best to resist it. SNH idea is totally wrong as usual. Its about time that all these do -gooders shut up and let normal people get on with life. These turbines will bring in an enormous amount of money for Caithness if everything works out.
    I was not at the meeting that you quoted but I am sure that the SNH rep was treated as with the respect she deserved (none).

Quote Originally Posted by scotsman1 View Post
    These turbines will bring in an enormous amount of money for Caithness if everything works out.
    This is a genuine question,- how exactly do you think these turbines are going to bring in enormous amounts of money for Caithness?

I can't see there being vast (or any) employment opportunities once they are installed. Manufacturing is not likely to be carried out here and I guess contractors will mainly come from other areas. There may be a burst of spending when they are all staying here as far as hotels etc go? Or do you anticipate that there will be some kind of compensatory payments made to the county?

Actually, having re-read your post, I am not sure whether you are taking the mick or not! If you are, then I apologise for missing your point - if you're not then I really am curious about your answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Murdina_Bug
    This is a genuine question,- how exactly do you think these turbines are going to bring in enormous amounts of money for Caithness?
    The maintenance requirements for these turbines may well be enormous which is labour intensive and their installation is a 20 year program which has more long term job prospects than most jobs you could think of.

So why would the county need compensation??

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    The maintenance requirements for these turbines may well be enormous which is labour intensive and their installation is a 20 year program which has more long term job prospects than most jobs you could think of.
    How many anticipated jobs are we talking here?

Quote Originally Posted by webmannie View Post
    How many anticipated jobs are we talking here?
    Expected to be 35-40 within 18 months to support the first of the 10MW turbines, their plans are to have ~1500MW by 2020.

The SNH proposals will do nothing to hamper the marine development in the Pentland Firth...

It is possible to help the wildlife AND harness the power in the Firth and that's what will happen. This is nothig more than a CONSULTATION - the final decision resides with the Scottish Government and they are 100% behind renewable energy.

It's a no-brainer.
    Behold the turtle - he only ever gets anywhere by sticking his neck out...

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Expected to be 35-40 within 18 months to support the first of the 10MW turbines, their plans are to have ~1500MW by 2020.
    Is this for installation and/or maintenance?

I can only see 35-40 for installation and maintenance, they are not going to be installing them all at one time. Maintenance will involve a small tug taking them in to land for fixing. As we all know the firth is no place to be 'maintaining' anything in less than 'flat calm'.

I'm just confused by the whole thing, whilst appreciating that there may be higher protection needed for the bird colonies and other marine life, why should this be a deterrent to generating power from the sea?
    In areas where there are already sea turbines in use, the comorants etc are saying thank you very much for some extra perches!
    As to interfering with established sea routes and the like that seems like the usual balderdash that bureaucrats with too much money and time on there hands come up with.
    Yes look at all options and consider their inpact on the environment but don't rule them out on the say so of some one in Bruxelles who most probably does n't even have a clue where Caithness is.

There's a surprise, your going to stick your nose into another renewable energy scheme and try your best to resist it. SNH idea is totally wrong as usual. Its about time that all these do -gooders shut up and let normal people get on with life. These turbines will bring in an enormous amount of money for Caithness if everything works out.
    I was not at the meeting that you quoted but I am sure that the SNH rep was treated as with the respect she deserved (none).
    Scotsman 1, I suggest you read my post again. I made no comment on the renewable energy schemes nor on the SPA extension proposal. I did point out that the proposal does not come from SNH, but from the European Union. I will repeat that. The proposal does not come from SNH, but from the European Union.
    My post was about bad manners.
    You were not there so how you can form an opinion escapes me. I was there and I assure you the lady conducted herself with great dignity in the face of what can only be described as boorish personal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    I'm just confused by the whole thing, whilst appreciating that there may be higher protection needed for the bird colonies and other marine life, why should this be a deterrent to generating power from the sea?
    In areas where there are already sea turbines in use, the comorants etc are saying thank you very much for some extra perches!
    As to interfering with established sea routes and the like that seems like the usual balderdash that bureaucrats with too much money and time on there hands come up with.
    Yes look at all options and consider their inpact on the environment but don't rule them out on the say so of some one in Bruxelles who most probably does n't even have a clue where Caithness is.
    Thanks Lizz for some rational thought, also to Afternoon Delight for some commonsense.

What an insulting post. Easy to say such things when you're anonymous isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    What an insulting post. Easy to say such things when you're anonymous isn't it?

Its nothing I would'nt say to his face!!
    If you think thats insulting, you've never lived!!

How close are the nearest turbines to Caithness? Is there a map which we can make our own minds up? Aren't the nearest between Stroma and the coast? Sounds fairly close to that 2 km.

I am puzzled by references to "turbines". If we are talking about the Pentland Firth, the suggestion here is for tidal energy not an offshore windfarm. I know some tidal energy involves underwater turbines but I believe the Portugal scheme, which is an alternative, has a long snake-like object. How is the 2m. distance relevant here?

A huge windfarm is planned for the Moray Firth but that's a completely different proposal.

scotsman1 - if you can't be bothered to read and understand fairly short posts why get involved? Flinging childish insults and commenting on meetings where you admit you were not present achieves nothing except to distract from an otherwise interesting debate.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast