Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Venues or lack of them

Great respect to Jeid on that account thred reply! *pats in the back*
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Default lack of venues

why not try some of the local pubs like the mountain dew in wick the owner is a musician himself he is Callum Reid better known as Mad C and is quite keen to give local bands a go and can even provide a decent pa system for them to use just call him on wick 01955 602002 thats the pub tel no

Tel Guest

Default Venues in the Past

Many years ago in the 70s & very early 80s, the local bands played the local community halls on Friday /Saturday nights, sponsored either by hall committee's or a promoter, or even renting hall themselves....venues such as John o Groats, Canisbay, Dunbeath, Lybster, Thrumster , Thuso Town hall & Assembly Rooms in Wick were nomal "week-end bashes" & would usually see the local buses or even laid on "dance bus" full on the way out & a roaring taxi trade after 1:30am to get punters home....if the solitary phone / phonebox was not vandalised by that time so you could call taxi!!!....no mobiles then lol!!!
    As the halls were not usually licensed, you had to bring your own carry out & getting it into the hall past the "bouncers" was always an experience!!.....if you couldnt get the beer-bag in the hall, then it was usually hidden outside in nearby neighbours garden & you had to go in/out the hall for a "liquid refreshment"....rain, sleet or snow!!!
    From memory, most Bands were usually paid for the night, & cant remember any nights where the band paid the proprietor for the pleasure of playing his venue!!....the odd occasion bands did freebies for charity or raising hall funds, but usually at least got expenses for petrol. If there was a headline Band, they usually gave a chance for newer bands to play as support & get them some experience, but usually got some form of fee.
    When the Rosebank Hotel was in full swing, I think most locals of that era would agree that it was a great venue for live bands, as it was 250-300? capacity & usually once it was 3/4 full, it had an electric atmosphere, especially for the rock bands to play in.
    Wick notably went through a lul in live music for a while, when venues were extremely difficult for bands to get into & Mobile Discos were the "cheap n cheerful" option for the pubs/halls etc.... the bottom line was they could please any taste & if someone requested ole country king Don Williams' "Gypsy Woman"...it was possibly followed by a mind-numbing AC/DCs "Let there be Rock"......but everyone was happy for 5 mins at least!!.......the surprising thing is that people still paid the same price or more to get in to a disco as to see a live band.....no matter where it was located!!
    Times change........but the song remains the same!
    Keep Music Live!

Default W0w!

" Tel ", Thats was amzazing information to get the buzz of music in the mind going! If i would not take charge but be a main aspect to a group that we should get together. The wick Asembly rooms! Man.. All it needed was a wee post from a member to get it going! and TEL you did just that!!!

" SUMMAR FESTIVAL 2006 "

Wick Asembly Rooms, Cum on! I know there will be doubters every were but if the music scene up here teamed together it would be unstopable! With a little effort, Anything can be done! I know some may think he's only a kid with dreams! But big gigs are pulled of before lets make one to be rememberd!!!

Who would be up for it. I think we should go for it. But i say we have a Group of mains but NO LEADER in the whole aspect of the concert! Make this a concert to be rememberd get as many bands as possible, this remind me of a gig trying to be pulled of by one kid a while back in the asembly rooms. Cant recal his name. But anyways! I think it would be a great idea!

What do you think???

I think you should wait and see what happens.... Plans are a foot.... sort of...

No.. I dont wanna be the Dude organizing it.. I was just wondering what people thought if something like that could come off jeid.

Zeb

people by the sounds of it are starting having things on in there garage when they have a big enough garage. and some of us are going to hire out the view firth and get people there

The Viewfirth? What age groups do you plan on having in attendance?

i dunno thats the problem. i need to find out how to and what the rules are. but i remember seeing all stitched up there, and they just said pay like 2 pound to get in or somehting and just sit in.

Tel Guest

Default Local Aid Concerts in 80's

After Live Aid in 85.....
    There was a gig done for "Local Aid" at the Airport, Wick, in a Hanger in 1986....if memory serves me right! Was licensed too..and this must have seriously added to the revenue taken...
    Started in Afternoon & went on till 1am....ish
    Was a big turnout over the whole day....not sure what tally was but i think it was guestimated at around a 1000 over the day & you could come & go as you please....
    Lots of bands reformed to play approx 40 minute slot each....
    I think there was a PA rented for the day as well....
    Was a good day out...
    I think someone recorded most of the bands....not sure if there was a video or not though??
    All moneys went to local charities / organizations etc...

Something like this, once in a blue moon, in summer, would be good fundraiser as well as showcase for local talents....but as we all know, it needs a good organiser, planning & local advertising.
    We dont need an excuse to raise money for charity, as everybody gives to something, even if its via the lottery....But at least its an effort to help local or a major "African Famine Aid" charity & if you plug it well enough there may be some local media interest from as far as Inverness, maybe beyond, which can encourage assistance or donations from local companies.

You remind me of Uppieballad.

Anyway, as I previously mentioned, something is being planned

Uppie's vanished from the forum. Will somebody tel us where he's gone.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

I'd love it if someone could tel us, but I doubt they would

Tel Guest

Default Tel it Like it is

Dont know who uppieballad is guys??
    I havent read too much of threads from past but looked at more recent ones so decided to register as member.....maybe was around at same musical era.......late 70s -80s
    I used to check out the Wick bands site from time to time & sent in a few pics & stories of bands that I had played in. This was about a month or two before site was shut down so I dont think it ever got added to site.
    It was a good site....

Such a coincidence that Uppie disappears and at the same time you appear talking the same way he did about the exact same things.

Default The puzzle

Jeid, either Uppie has taken a crash course in English,grammar and spelling or Tel is telling the truth. Let's give the poor lad a chance. Maybe he will tel us which Wick bands he played in as a sign of good faith.
    Tel,Uppie annoyed and offended a lot of musos on this forum and he did vanish as you appeared.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Tel Guest

Default unperplexed, untangled webs & clarity of mind

Hey guys:
    Im just a working guy who enjoyed the crack at the time....
    As i played myself, I did & still support live music & would not come on here and "slate" local muso's....good or bad!!.
    Dont have too much time these days though for playing..... but have spoke about possibility of getting cobwebs off the gear and rattling out Motorheads -Ace of Spades, Overkill, Stone Dead Forever... Scorpions - Another Piece of Meat, possibly a few Ramones three chorders thrown in for fun....
    A charity bash or "band gathering"....would be ideal for that!!

Unhappy

yeah well these "gatherings" and "get togethers" have been spoken of for months.

i hear about this revolution and that musical revolution, i hear about this idea and that idea, apart from these blue monday meetings i cant see much else goin on up here. its dead.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123