Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Venues or lack of them

Sore - The osteopathy's making a fortune!

We were warned the public response to booking up front the previous evening was to say the least - SPARSE!! As I said we 'pulled the stops' - 'kicked the butt' - just let loose and got on with it (as a musical unit). MOST enjoyable. (Why is it like this with musicians? - No ego to pamper in public - just the SOUND, the music!!)

(The muso's out there will relate to this one, I hope . . . .)

Again - NICE . . . . .

PS - F**!! the sore Back (Think of England and all who sail in her!)

hahahahaha

Classic

"The Light seems small and far,
    A Darkness envelops my soul,
    Hiding behind my empty smiles,
    Within my mind, Deeper I fall."

you should edit that man, you'll get a banning

We're all musos here

yeah man, you gotta be careful, even if your covering it up man

Uppiebalad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon

and i wish that the join between drink and music could be broken.

thats why at the mo my band are staying underground.

we would very much like to showcase some material but we feel that it qouldnt get the attention it deserved (not being big headed)

Sir John's Square doesn't have a bar and has shown it doesn't need one for gigs to be successful like the one the college did some years back.

"Underground" is a problem which leave select few getting a chance to hear bands instead of bringing it to the world. Mind though, many of you have websites- upload your work to the world. It ain't just Caithness folk that visit caithness.org and such like.

I spoke to a couple of members of Caithness Arts about this last year and they said that they did an Arts Showcase in Skinandis in 2004 to which a local rock music legend was asked to perform. Alas he never turned up!
    They also said another member had motioned for a bands showcase but this was given the thumbs down. It says something of the situation you all face.

In 2004 they had one of the Ard Rocks in skinandi's it went down really well, duress has also played in skinandi's after that aswell, skins isnt bad for the bands, skinds is game for it, but not all the time

As we live in a "teeny bopper" society i can understand that, still it sucks though

I spoke to the boss about that today, I'll let you in on it at the next Blue Monday meet

Uppiebalad Guest

Woa there! What's this secret about? Perhaps it should be out in the open. Is it something that is holding back local bands? Why should it only be mentioned between two people at the next Blue Monday meeting. You've said very little but all of which may be too much. Let's have the rest, I'm sure Caithness musicians would be very interested. Clearly something is being held back here and it's not just the sad world of teeni-bopperism that is the problem.
    You've started a sentence so please put in the missing words and stamp a full stop on the remark.

Well, just like you Mr Uppiebalad, I like to play my cards close to my chest. I'll reveal all at our next meet.

Uppiebalad Guest

So it will have nothing to do with the rumour I heard last week about Skinandi's being up for sale/sold or anything else I know about the place which I'm keeping close to my chest?

I love the Caithness rumour mill. He's not selling the place. This is something I hear him being asked every single week. Its a bit boring now. Some people have nothing better to talk about.

Uppiebalad Guest

That much I guessed as a nightclub with no competition it's like a water wheel that knows no drout. I too find rumour and suspicion extremly boring.

It'd be pretty silly. He's making a fortune so why give up that much money.

Default secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Uppiebalad
    Woa there! What's this secret about? Perhaps it should be out in the open. Is it something that is holding back local bands? Why should it only be mentioned between two people at the next Blue Monday meeting. You've said very little but all of which may be too much. Let's have the rest, I'm sure Caithness musicians would be very interested. Clearly something is being held back here and it's not just the sad world of teeni-bopperism that is the problem.
    You've started a sentence so please put in the missing words and stamp a full stop on the remark.

We still don't know who uppieballad is?? after countless attempts to get it from the horse's mouth, he still hasn't "put in the missing words & stamped a full stop on things."Answered some points but does a good job of ignoring the rest.

Surely something that is going to be revealed at the next meeting (even between two people) is no longer a secret............you should go to the next meeting Uppie & give everyone the pleasure of your seemingly endless advice & knowledge on the best way for caithness to progress

We would have been there but work came in there'll be another meeting soon???
    Last edited by Gleber2; 15-Jan-06 at 20:22.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Uppiebalad Guest

Some pointers about identity and user names.

User names are used on the internet to protect the private interests of user and further to protect user from unsolicited attentions of less scrupuless persons. The purpose of a user name is to conceal identity for the afore mentioned.

When you use the internet at any time it can be viewed at any time anywhere in the world and out there in the real world there are some very nasty people/monsters who would wish you no good intent.

Whilst in here it seems the Caithness user forgets that the rest of the world does visit caithness.org forums from time to time. Caithness in the physical world is a very safe place to live with violent crime levels so small it's not worth mentioning. One could think it unlikely that there would be anyone who might want to harm another there in Caithness. But the rest of the world isn't as safe and cozy as Caithness so every time you put your real names and locations in here it becomes very easy for nasty people (and there are some who would go to such lengths) to track you down.
    Revealing a real identity on the internet whether you know each other or not, is a very stupid thing to do.

Meanwhile, I don't have all the answers for Caithness, I have only ideas. Just because they aren't your ideas is no reason to attack. Where would the world be if we had executed every forward thinking person in history. Stop biting, give things a try and keep trying until you find a way that works. Take a bit of my idea or a bit of someone elses, mix them about and see what comes out the other end. Some are far too ready to dismiss just because it didn't come from the local shop. Grow up guys.
    Gleeber have you any comment to make regarding my details of the Scottish Executives position on venues in Thurso and Caithness or the Revealing A Vision Of Caithness report or the Arts Stragey For Caithness. Where were you lot at the public meetings for the arts in Caithness? It takes a lot of streams to make a river.

Thats bull. Usernames give people alter egos and it helps them become someone that they are not. People say things in their "alter-ego" that they would not be willing to say in real life. In your case, I think this describes you perfectly. I doubt your such an outgoing person in reality and have trouble expressing the opinions you have. The internet gives you a place to vent off this and makes you feel like "a real person"

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I somehow doubt it. I ain't expecting you to reveal yourself now, I'm fully aware you are stuck behind this alter-ego Uppie. But lets be serious, for somebody who supposedly lives in London, you seem to be fully aware of everything that goes on in Caithness. I find that somewhat suspicious

Uppie I seriously do not agree with anything you blab on about on caithness.org.. You say you live in london ( which in the users online is not fact my friend! ) ... Yes everyone has questioned who you are at one point you have changed the motion quickly and do not reply to who you are. Your cover is blown and ure advise is no longer taken into consideration by Caithness.org users. I feel you shud now take not a stand but sit bk down into the slum of ure home and give ure poor keyboard on ure PC a wee rest. For i feel that the poor thing has to type out alot of storys that seem to be coming from Never Ever Land.

Give it a rest

Zeb
    Last edited by zebedy; 16-Jan-06 at 00:26.
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Quote Originally Posted by zebedy
    Uppie I seriously do not agree with anything you blab on about on caithness.org.. You say you live in london ( which in the users online is not fact my friend! ) ... Yes everyone has questioned who you are at one point you have changed the motion quickly and do not reply to who you are. Your cover is blown and ure advise is no longer taken into consideration by Caithness.org users. I feel you shud now take not a stand but sit bk down into the slum of ure home and give ure poor keyboard on ure PC a wee rest. For i feel that the poor thing has to type out alot of storys that seem to be coming from Never Ever Land.

Give it a rest

Zeb
    Bravo young chap

Default Uppie's never never land

Firstly,you can't have really read my comments about you or you would remember that I told you once already that GLEEBER and GLEBER2 are two diametrically opposed people and NOT to be confused.OK.
    For some reason I have read your often bombastic and very badly spelled ramblings quite thoroughly and do not reply on these points because I have heard it all before from wiser and more erudite men than yourself.Your comments on music are,on the whole,patronising rubbish.You have absolutely no understanding of the drive that makes us play and your ideas on what music and any local scene is really about are,to say the least,juvenile.
    On the subject of secret identities,in a previous post on another thread I accused you of lying about dead Mansons.You really should answer
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    On the subject of secret identities,in a previous post on another thread I accused you of lying about dead Mansons.You really should answer
    I too am curious about your knowledge of Mansons Uppie, perhaps it is because you are indeed a Manson yourself. The following quote would back this up. Unless you studied some sort of local family history, which I doubt. You are far to into "local cinema" for that.

The Manson name is common in Caithness but I don't know how much so in Shetland or Orkney. However as a Norse name being an abreviated form of Magnuson it's origins are Viking so it's a regular name the north of Scotland.
    In Caithness their are only two fully local viking bloodlines. They are the Cannisbay Manson's and the Murkle Mansons the latter having lived in the Murkle area for well over 800 years.
    All other Mansons in Caithness are either the result of family spread or incommers through the herring fishing era.
    I do also believe you hold a grudge against a former partner, possibly from a messy divorce you went through a few years ago Darren? See below...

I don't think I want to marry an animal, I already divorced one. It's funny how people turn out once the ring is on their finger.
    And finally, don't go trying this? Is this because the Police might give us in trouble? You would know about that huh? Did you not once have a fascination with our local graveyard?

Just a thought- don't go trying this but you know how Thurso cemetary has those terraces in the oldest bit. If the band were on the bottom terrace you could put the audience on all the other platforms and have an arena gig. Don't worry about the neigbours, they're dead to the world! (sick yes, but you know it's funny)
    I'm afraid its game up Darren, Its been quite interesting being THEONE to figure you out.

Shame this little game is over...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast