Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Willow panel as coo deterrent?

Question Willow panel as coo deterrent?

I am looking for some kind of coo deterrent after finding that the coos in the field next to our house have munched down all our shrubs!

We have a brick wall around the garden and not sure what is the most cost effective way of stopping the coos getting their heads into eat the shrubs?

I was thinking of something like a willow panel but not sure where to get this from?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

An electric fence along the top worked for us.

How much did that cost?

A bit worried that it might zap the cats though!
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Coos will munch willows, but one of the great things about willows is that they will not die, but regenerate.

I have the same problem. I have used willows on the outside, and planted the more decorative stuff on the inside. The willows shelter the other shrubs, and bear the brunt of the coo-munching. They keep coming back for more - the willows, not the coos. Well, actually, the coos do too.

The other great thing about willows is that they grow so easily from cuttings. Never buy a willow. You can grow your own effortlessly.

However, don't be conned into spending money, especially by mail order, on anything described as a willow wall or willow hedge. Have you seen the one the Council paid for a few years ago on the A96 by Lhanbryde? It is 90% dead.

Grow your own willow, don't buy it.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

Oops missed that one - unit cost about £60, battery free from Fletts nd about £20 for the wire. Then they grew oats instead!