Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show your ancestors

These photos are fabulous (great idea Raven - again). Plasticjock yer gran and her sisters were very pretty!

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    These photos are fabulous (great idea Raven - again). Plasticjock yer gran and her sisters were very pretty!
    Aye...their 'looks' gene hasn't transported doon to me.
    ...Wonder if I was adopted?

Here's another of my Gran circa 1911:

And a picture of my Great-Grandad Andrew Munro walking up Traill Street, Thurso in the early 30's, wearing his 'pepper & salt' overcoat. He was born in the Fisherbiggins in 1855.

What a brilliant idea Raven and thank you for all the interesting photo's and stories.
    will try and get the scanner to work and post some of mine.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

This is my Dad, what a cool cucumber he was and to some extent still is at 76. No wonder my Mum fell for him... :-)

[QUOTE=psyberyeti;434538]...and my grandfather went to the same phographer as Raven's grandfather. Same gun passed between the photo subjects.

QUOTE]

Haha, must have been a travelling photographer then He looks almost like someone I have worked with in the past....

Love the photo of you gangster ancestors, are they Italian?

@ plastic jock, really striking images of your folks!

[QUOTE=Raven;435389]This is my Dad, what a cool cucumber he was and to some extent still is at 76. No wonder my Mum fell for him... :-)

Definately a touch of the young 'Robert DeNiro' there.
    Last edited by plasticjock; 21-Sep-08 at 17:43.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

I am thoroughly enjoying this thread, folks! I love looking at photos from days gone by, and seeing how people dressed back then.

Plasticjock, your grandmother looked so sweet! What year was she born? It's interesting to see in the one with your great-grandad, that the two men behind him were also wearing berets and smoking pipes. The man directly behind him also seemed to have a moustache, and I'm willing to bet that the one on the left did too! It makes me think of Sir John's Square, and all the owld mannies who used to sit on the bench behind the war memorial, in the 1960s and 70s. Most of them had a moustache, wore a beret, and smoked a pipe!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Not sure when this photo of my mother-in-laws great grandfather was taken, but think it was around the mid 1800s.

Wonder what it was like to take photos back then?

Striking astroman! Love the pose!

Quote Originally Posted by astroman View Post
    Not sure when this photo of my mother-in-laws great grandfather was taken, but think it was around the mid 1800s.

Wonder what it was like to take photos back then?

Looks like he was a ghillie-cum-gamekeeper for a local laird.
    He appears to be holding a single-barrel, muzzle-loading percussion rifle. Percussion was more weather tolerant than flintlock/powder weapons.

I think the picture was probably taken after 1875 due to the long exposure times required before then, up to ten seconds with no blinking allowed......it's also the reason why you rarely see live animals in the earlier ones. There's no way of getting them to be still.
    After then the exposure times were brought down to 1/25th of a second which tended to eliminate the head blurring of earlier pictures.
    Lovely picture though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    I am thoroughly enjoying this thread, folks! I love looking at photos from days gone by, and seeing how people dressed back then.

Plasticjock, your grandmother looked so sweet! What year was she born? It's interesting to see in the one with your great-grandad, that the two men behind him were also wearing berets and smoking pipes. The man directly behind him also seemed to have a moustache, and I'm willing to bet that the one on the left did too! It makes me think of Sir John's Square, and all the owld mannies who used to sit on the bench behind the war memorial, in the 1960s and 70s. Most of them had a moustache, wore a beret, and smoked a pipe!
    Well, my gran was born in 1894 in Bank Street and died in 1976 in Bank Court.

Pipes and flat caps seemed to be de rigeur for the men of Thurso (and most other places as well) back in the older days. There was, as you well remembered, a collection of auld chappies sitting on those benches round the War Memorial.
    These men, fishermen, farmers, slaters, quarrymen et al, maintained what was quintessential to the town before the coming of Dounreay. There was also the fishwives and school ma'rms who added considerably to the character of the place.
    It would be nice to see some symbolic commemorative statues of these ordinary people sitting on a bench somewhere. The famous and notorious get a look in why not the ordinary plebs?

Here is another picture from around 1905 with my gran in the centre.

And another of my great-grandad circa 1877.

These are first my Sinclair gg grandparents (same ones as donsinc's)..........
    and my MacDonald ones.

And my mother, with her parents, brother and sisters taken about 1924 (my mother is the baby)

Default Grand Ma

This is my Grany Robertson with my Mum and 3 sisters
    I can resist anything but temtation

Default GG Dad

This is my father Angus Sinclair with his Grandfather James Sinclair
    I can resist anything but temtation

Quote Originally Posted by plasticjock View Post
    Looks like he was a ghillie-cum-gamekeeper for a local laird.
    He appears to be holding a single-barrel, muzzle-loading percussion rifle. Percussion was more weather tolerant than flintlock/powder weapons.

I think the picture was probably taken after 1875 due to the long exposure times required before then, up to ten seconds with no blinking allowed......it's also the reason why you rarely see live animals in the earlier ones. There's no way of getting them to be still.
    After then the exposure times were brought down to 1/25th of a second which tended to eliminate the head blurring of earlier pictures.
    Lovely picture though.
    Many thanks for the info plasticjock - wasn't sure about the date of the photo, but would have guessed 1860-1870. Maybe the photo makes him look younger than he was. He was a head gamekeeper at an estate in Perthshire.

Really a great thread all, my compliments! Here are a couple more, this time of my father (Ian Henderson) during WW2.

Looking smart in his RAF uniform circa 1941. But of course that does not last and you end up with something like this:

Which is my father on "guard duty" during a tour in India during WW2.

Keep 'em coming all!

Bruce H

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_H View Post

Which is my father on "guard duty" during a tour in India during WW2.
    Keep 'em coming all!
    Bruce H
    Great pic.
    Looks like he picked up a leg injury there...and who's the chappie holding up the Guard Room sign?

Default Ancestors

A picture of the present Queen's Granny.

A Aunt of mine.

An Uncle of mine who joined the met. Police at an early age born in Stroma !

Cracking photos everyone!! Please dig deep and keep them coming!

Here is one of my OH`s granddad & grandma

Default Ancestors

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast