Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Show your ancestors

anothr of my gf.sisters.

Just look at those pinched waists, can hear the whale bone vreaking from here!
    Two great pictures.

my late mam's great uncle Angus

it's a sair fecht

Quote Originally Posted by dirdyweeker View Post
    Great photos from everyone. What a great thread. Lovely to see fashions and styles from another era.
    Oddquine.....I notice your gg grandad Macdonald is sitting reading the Groat!
    Think that's because the photie was taken by the Groat photographer for the bittie published on their 50th wedding anniversary!

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    This is a photo of my Great great Aunt's wedding in 1904, her sister had a hat shop as if it didn't show.

That's a really splendid photo, Rheghead, and I love the hats! Your Great Great Aunt looked very petite. Do you know how tall she was?
    Quote Originally Posted by south view 7 View Post
    anothr of my gf.sisters.
    What a lovely dress your Great Aunt is wearing, south view 7! Looks to me like it was probably made of velvet. And what a tiny waist!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    What a lovely dress your Great Aunt is wearing, south view 7! Looks to me like it was probably made of velvet. And what a tiny waist!
    Clearly photoshopped....

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by John Baikie View Post

Clearly photoshopped....
    Not necessarily, John. Those bone corsets could work wonders on the female form!

Default photos

I love all of the old photos being sent in. Like many of you I enjoy seeing the fashions of the day - how beautiful they all were. The waistlines !! Bring back corsets I say.

The gorgeous velvet dress with the rouched leg o' mutton sleeves is one of my favourites so far. I noticed the brooch at her neck - it's of a Thistle likely in silver, with a Cairngorm at the tip, popular at the time, and I have one just like it ! It was given to my mother by one of the Humphrey sisters.
    I cant make out the plant - could it be Holly?
    Does anyone know the Meaning of Flowers, as I'm sure that would have been used here.
    The young woman is wearing a ring - she could be married, and she is also holding a letter - from a loved one? The plant would be relevant in that case !

In the wedding group, there's something going on here as the men each have a hankie in their top pocket, but if you look closely you will see that they are each at a different angle. On the left it's straight across, middle is slightly raised and the right one is quite pointed. There would have been a reason for that - anyone remember?
    Last edited by trinkie; 20-Oct-08 at 07:40. Reason: spelling

Doing missionary work in Northern England

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

There is a short film on the following Scottish Screen Archive link showing the Thurso Gala Day of 1953.
    http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=3721

The full film is sharp, 15 minutes long and quite nostalgic.

It is available on dvd for £17.50 inclusive and is well worth it, in my opinion

I can't show full size captures of the scenes due to copyright issues but have made a thumbnail view to show some of what is availble on the full feature.

This is my grannie taken in yarmouth when she was at the herring gutting,i think the fox is still alive?

This is her with two friends, they new how to keep foxes down in them day"s.........

Default Wick Pics

Great pictures South View,
    Your grannie has such a kind face.
    They were all so elegant with their furs !
    Do you have names for the other ladies?

I hope some kind, clever person here will offer to tidy up the picture for you.

I was thinkin that too trinkie cos it is such a bonnie pic!

This is One Photograph of my Grand-Father and One Of him again with My Grand-Mother, both from my Father's Side. These Pictures were taken about 1935. Unfortunately I do not have any Photographs from my Mothers Side.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

My great grandfather - James Swanson - Castletown

My great grandmother - Isabella Manson - Castletown

My grandfather James Swanson and my grandmother Doreen Young. With my great aunt Mary Swanson (School Teacher in Castletown (my grandfather's sister) on the left and my great uncle David Young on the right

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345