Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show your ancestors

Default Show your ancestors

I have always been fascinated by old photos. Having seen so many great pcs in the Thurso/Wick threads I am staring this one to show photos of your dear family.

I would like to start with my great-grand parents and my grandma (standing 3rd from left in the back row) Photo from about 1915

This is my granddad from my moms side, thank goodness I have been spared with those ears! Photo from about 1920

This is my granddad from my dads side, just old enough to go to war. Photo from about 1916

Brilliant idea for a thread Raven! Love old photos! Off to dig some out!

Sorry for the quality, but it is the only picture I have of my great grandfather John Sinclair and his wife Margaret and their family taken around 1910 in Caithness.

Here's a pic of my dad and my aunt, taken in approx 1948

Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

My Grandparents, Walter Dunnet and Christine Lowe, married during the war. I've some much older pictures to find!

Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

My Grandfather and Grandmother taken just before he set off for the first world war 1914

@ donsinc
    WOW I thought 8 kids on my pic is hard to top, but you surely mastered that easily! :-)
    @ Julia & coastown
    Beautyful wedding photos!! I am puzzled about the spoon though :-)

My great, great, great grandparents with their daughter, my great, great, grand aunt.

My great, great, great, grandmother.

My great, great, great grandfather.
    Sorry I don't know the date of the pics.

Wifie, that first one, they are standing on grass so it is a good chance it was taken at the county show, just an idea?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Default Family Photos

What beautiful pictures , thank you for showing them.
    There must be many good stories here - what happened to them all? Did they leave Caithness? Endless stories I am sure.
    I love to see the different style of dress, especially for children, they all look so bonnie.

As to the Wooden Spoon, it was a Marriage Token, perhaps to wish the Bride 'Happy Cooking'. Better than getting a rolling pin I suppose !

Many thanks to all,
    Trinkie

Uuh wifie, superb stuff! The quality is still amazing after so many years! Somehow they remind me of the movie "The Others" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Wifie, that first one, they are standing on grass so it is a good chance it was taken at the county show, just an idea?
    Wow fantastic spotting Rheggers - I actually think it is carpet because if you look at the bottom of the back drop there is space which looks like wooden floor. It may have been an early forerunner to astroturf tho!
    Perhaps you or some of the genealogists on here could keep me right with my "greats" - the pics are of my grandmothers great grandparents so have I got it right?
    Last edited by wifie; 17-Sep-08 at 09:16.

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    Wow fantastic spotting Rheggers - I actually think it is carpet because if you look at the bottom of the back drop there is space which looks like wooden floor. It may have been an early forerunner to astroturf tho!
    You may be right but I took that as the skirting of the painted scenery behind.

This one is of my great grandfather, it was originally black and white but I've colourised it with Paintshop pro.

You may be right but I took that as the skirting of the painted scenery behind.
    Ah but does the jardiniere not knock that theory on the head or have I got my perspective wrong?

This one is of my great grandfather, it was originally black and white but I've colourised it with Paintshop pro.
    Good pic Rheggers but I have never been that keen on colourised pics - although I will say it looks like you have done a good job.

Smile Haydn

This is my great Uncle Haydn. I think about 1915. Standing to attention,

and, raring to go:

My Great Uncle was a cool dude - a really nice chap. He was a draper for much of his life.

Excellent thread started there Raven.
    Things that go bump in the night generally have been influenced by a Siamese

Hi psyberyeti - what is yer gt uncle's cap badge? Good lookin chap!

psyberyeti, that's standing at ease , at attention with a fag in his mouth I think not lol
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast