Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best + Worst Album of the year 2008.......so far

It's certainly a return to form that's for sure. I would talk more about it, but it has songs about Those We Are Not Allowed To Speak Of on it, so I can't. Check it out, though, if you get a chance.

Nice, i shall do.
    I didn't know it was out so i shall get it asap.

Good thread, still a bit early for a definitive list but here's a few albums I've massively enjoyed this year:

Laura Marling - Ghosts, glad she got the recognition she deserved when she was nominated for the Mercury Music prize, fantastically good album.
    Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires, a bit of hype with these guy and they've lived up to it. Some of the best singles you'll hear this year.
    Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight, this IS the best album of the year for sure. Written and recorded back in July '07 but released earlier this year, you won't see a finer Scottish band this year.
    Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster..., I love this lot. Some amazing songs and they've been fantastic the times I've gone to see them.
    Sons & Daughters - This Gift, perhaps this can be a little samey and fade off towards the end but there's no denying this is a fantastic record, glad to see another Scottish band making brilliant music.
    Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell, some brilliant little songs on this long player, love it.
    Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst, there's no way this could have been bad. This man has made great records since he was 16 and this one is up there with them all.
    Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago, beautifully minamalistic, can't really fault the bloke.
    Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant, Only five songs long but possibly the most beatiful five songs on anything released this year.

Worst? I don't know. I don't listen to crap music. The Ting Tings are a poor excuse for a band and I imagine their LP is pretty terrible. If yon three singles are the best they can do I suggest they crawl under a rock and give us peace!

Quote Originally Posted by Blast! View Post
    Good thread, still a bit early for a definitive list but here's a few albums I've massively enjoyed this year:
    Laura Marling - Ghosts, glad she got the recognition she deserved when she was nominated for the Mercury Music prize, fantastically good album.
    Im assuming you mean her 'Alas I Cannot Swim' album? If so, I totally agree, definitely up there with my favourite albums of the year.
    Aside from that, Im a huge fan of the Vampire Weekend album as it never gets old and the Mystery Jets album '21' is a cracker too.

Quote Originally Posted by foreveruntitled View Post
    Im assuming you mean her 'Alas I Cannot Swim' album? If so, I totally agree, definitely up there with my favourite albums of the year.
    Aside from that, Im a huge fan of the Vampire Weekend album as it never gets old and the Mystery Jets album '21' is a cracker too.
    Oops! That's what I meant yeah.

May I also add...

Johnny Foreigner - Waited Up 'til it Was Light, brilliant stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Blast! View Post

Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires, a bit of hype with these guy and they've lived up to it. Some of the best singles you'll hear this year.
    Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight, this IS the best album of the year for sure. Written and recorded back in July '07 but released earlier this year, you won't see a finer Scottish band this year.
    Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster..., I love this lot. Some amazing songs and they've been fantastic the times I've gone to see them.
    Sons & Daughters - This Gift, perhaps this can be a little samey and fade off towards the end but there's no denying this is a fantastic record, glad to see another Scottish band making brilliant music.
    Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell, some brilliant little songs on this long player, love it.
    Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst, there's no way this could have been bad. This man has made great records since he was 16 and this one is up there with them all.
    Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago, beautifully minamalistic, can't really fault the bloke.
    Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant, Only five songs long but possibly the most beatiful five songs on anything released this year.

Worst? I don't know. I don't listen to crap music. The Ting Tings are a poor excuse for a band and I imagine their LP is pretty terrible. If yon three singles are the best they can do I suggest they crawl under a rock and give us peace!

Excellent choices there Blast! Really want to buy Fleet Foxes album, "White Winter Hymnal" is just amazing. Heard Tokyo Police Club a while ago on MTV2, quite liked whatever track it was, but and didnt hear much else from them, might download a few of their songs and if I like might get the album! Sons and Daughters, that's a massive shout, brilliant album! And Scottish, you can't fault them really. Laura Marling has got a pure lovely voice n all, I actually bought her for my dads birthday, but the CD has sneaked its way back into my collection haha. Loved her tune with Mystery Jets as well. Speaking of which, another great album, iv still to buy the first tho!

Check out Jim Noir blast and tell me what u think!! Hopefully you'll like seeing as you've got decent taste in music!

Black Swan from Story Of The Year is a beast imo :P
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Agree with Vampire Weekend, Bon Ivor, Fleet Foxes etc. but also would add Shortwave Set - Replica Sun Machine, and also my most played album so far this year, Thao & the Get Down Stay Down - We Brave Bee Stings and All. Fabulous if you like quirky girly singers

The new oasis album is defintiely my album of the year!
    It is very "beatles-esque" but thats a good thing, Liams voice on his "lennon" track is amazing and puts shivers down my spine, its that good.
    I was worried it may be duff but its anything but.
    A fantastic return to form

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    The new oasis album is defintiely my album of the year!
    It is very "beatles-esque" but thats a good thing, Liams voice on his "lennon" track is amazing and puts shivers down my spine, its that good.
    I was worried it may be duff but its anything but.
    A fantastic return to form
    I agree.
    I like all their albums but this is top drawer!
    Liam is some vocalist!!

Worst album of the year-Glasvegas.
    Thought it would be a "grower" but alas no, every song sounds the same and is very repetetive and over produced, after I heard "daddy's gone" I couldnt wait to hear the rest but it was an over-hyped dissapointment. I really wanted to like it but just couldnt get into it even after playing it in the car for a week!

I have decided to cheat for this answer. The best albums for me are the 30+ Tom Waits I have bought/"borrowed" this year. Discovered him around new year, and haven't stop listening to him. Even got tickets to see him in Dublin. The GREATEST SHOW EVER! No joke. Unbelievable.

And to properly answer the question, I like coldplay's new album.
    "We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance, and wealth with happiness. We are monkeys with money and guns." ~ Tom Waits

I would say The Game's album L.A.X. is one of the best albums out this year....

Another is Snow Patrols!

If yer don't like it then fair enough but I believe it was a question thread.

It's a tough choice tbh, Mogwai's new album is quality, as is Weezer's and the Offspring's latest offerings.

Death Magnetic is also a beast of an album.
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

richard ashcroft his music takes some beating best artist ive herd lately

Seriously, I don't think I've acquired an album that was released this year at all.

Oh wait, my daughter gave me 'Death Magnetic' for my birthday. Quite decent, and a welcome return to form, but not quite stellar if you know what I mean.

And the latest AC/DC album is another - one I downloaded, listened to two or three times, and then deleted. Most disappointing.

All in all, I don't think it's been a great year for music of my particular taste. Ach well, at least I've still got the '70s and '80s to fall back on...
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    All in all, I don't think it's been a great year for music of my particular taste. Ach well, at least I've still got the '70s and '80s to fall back on...
    You should join Estrella...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    You should join Estrella...
    Nah, they'll be due a Punk phase any day now, I reckon....
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Before the year is out I better suggest A Different Season by The Shee (www.myspace.com/theshee) as the best album of 2008.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast