Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best + Worst Album of the year 2008.......so far

Default Best + Worst Album of the year 2008.......so far

What's your favourite new album so far this year?

I would say mine is a close war between
    Weezer - Red Album
    Black Kids - Partie Traumatic

and worst album that i bought goes to...........

The Wombats - A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Wow wow no no, The Wombats have produced a brilliant wee album, very catchy and sing a longy! Good tunes my friend. Seen them livea few months back at the Ironworks, wasnt really into them but I was impressed.

Not so fussed about Weezer or The Black Kids...I like their new single though.

For me it's probably going to be Kings of Leon, Only By The Night...but that aint out yet...

So to begin with I'll say Jim Noir's "Jim Noir" haha. It's very good. If you like something different, give it a try. Difficult to describe but it does sound like its from the 60s. He did a tune for adiddas a while back called "Eanie Meany", have a look for it on youtube.

Elbow's album is also very very very good, nice to see them top of the charts (well on Amazon anyway)

But I think my favourite album so far has to be Vampire Weekend! Brilliant summery tunes.

Worst album....why would I listen to something I dont like? Im sure Miley Cyrus' album will be horrible, along with various other bands...but I've not bought an album I don't like this year...not that I can think of....Oh aye...Fratellis, Here We Stand....nowhere near as good as the first.

Oh aye and Wombats came out in 2007 you numpty!

Best is a tough one, Weezers new album is excellent as is the Offsprings new offering, and I'm fond of the new Metallica album too.

Worst for me would be The Verve or the Ting Tings, awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Wow wow no no, The Wombats have produced a brilliant wee album, very catchy and sing a longy! Good tunes my friend. Seen them livea few months back at the Ironworks, wasnt really into them but I was impressed.

Not so fussed about Weezer or The Black Kids...I like their new single though.

For me it's probably going to be Kings of Leon, Only By The Night...but that aint out yet...

So to begin with I'll say Jim Noir's "Jim Noir" haha. It's very good. If you like something different, give it a try. Difficult to describe but it does sound like its from the 60s. He did a tune for adiddas a while back called "Eanie Meany", have a look for it on youtube.

Elbow's album is also very very very good, nice to see them top of the charts (well on Amazon anyway)

But I think my favourite album so far has to be Vampire Weekend! Brilliant summery tunes.

Worst album....why would I listen to something I dont like? Im sure Miley Cyrus' album will be horrible, along with various other bands...but I've not bought an album I don't like this year...not that I can think of....Oh aye...Fratellis, Here We Stand....nowhere near as good as the first.

Oh aye and Wombats came out in 2007 you numpty!
    ooops My bad...........still dont rate them highly.
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Ting Ting, meh they're alrite! I like Shut up and let me go, its sounds pretty cool, and Great DJ aint too bad either...would like to see what the rest of the album cos "Thats Not My Name" is a mingin!!!!!!! tune.

The Verve's album isnt too bad....bit disappointing though. But I dont think they wer ever gonna live up to the likes of Bittersweet Symphony or Lucky Man, I mean dem tunes were just bangin! Coldplay's album was a bit of a disappointment as well, but its growing on me.

Oasis album, hope its good! Quite like that new 'Struck By The Lightning'....hope the rest of the album follows suit.

Any other good new albums coming out?

Ting Ting, meh they're alrite! I like Shut up and let me go, its sounds pretty cool, and Great DJ aint too bad either...would like to see what the rest of the album cos "Thats Not My Name" is a mingin!!!!!!! tune.

The Verve's album isnt too bad....bit disappointing though. But I dont think they wer ever gonna live up to the likes of Bittersweet Symphony or Lucky Man, I mean dem tunes were just bangin! Coldplay's album was a bit of a disappointment as well, but its growing on me.

Oasis album, hope its good! Quite like that new 'Struck By The Lightning'....hope the rest of the album follows suit.

Any other good new albums coming out?
    I'm looking forward to new Oasis album, about the only "Indie" album i will get.

"Shock of The Lightening" you were on about is a good song aye.

Looking forward to the new Oasis album. I am keeping an eye on my favourite sites to see if it gets "leaked"
    Agree the Verve album is a bit of a let down to say the least.Getting Glasvegas tomorrow so hope that it isnt over-hyped because I've been waiting for it. Metallica is a contender for best of the year but I'll wait for Noel and Liam before I make my final decision!!!!

the new Feeder album "Silent Cry" is a pretty good offering, not as edgy as their early stuff but still an enjoyable listen.

Vampire Weekend walks it for me.

That's a tough bloody question, this year has seen soooooo many awesome releases, without putting too much thought into it some favs are

1) Blind - Blind http://www.blindpage.de
    2) Safetysuit - Life Left To Go http://www.myspace.com/safetysuit
    3) Metallica - Death Magnetic
    4) In Flames - A Sense Of Purpose
    5) Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe http://www.myspace.com/scarsymmetry
    6) Warpath - Damnation http://www.myspace.com/warpathuk
    7) Bury Your Dead - Bury Your Dead http://www.myspace.com/buryyourdead
    8) Slipknot -All Hope Is Gone
    9) Shinedown - The Soundness Of Madness http://www.myspace.com/shinedown
    10) Story Of The Year - The Black Swan http://www.myspace.com/storyoftheyear
    11) Testament - The Formation Of Damnation
    12) From First To Last - From First To Last http://www.myspace.com/fftl
    13) Amaru - Love, Lies & Therapy http://www.myspace.com/AmaruBand

You know, i could go on and on, like i said....this has been an awesome year for new music from all genres, there have only been a couple of releases that i really disliked intensely, the new Judas Priest and Extreme albums are the guilty pair, just truly awful albums.

I hope some of you find some goodies amongst that lot

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting anyone to list Story Of The Year on their list of best albums this year... but From First To Last... I'm stunned! A couple of great albums sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    I have to admit, I wasn't expecting anyone to list Story Of The Year on their list of best albums this year... but From First To Last... I'm stunned! A couple of great albums sir!
    They are indeed, a huge leap forward for both bands as well, and as for FFTL......Sonny who?

Guarenteed I wont be listening to any of the above albums haha

Guarenteed I wont be listening to any of the above albums haha
    I don't expect you will, judging from your posts it would seem you have a dreadful taste in music...or even a taste for dreadful music

Oh maybe I do, each to their own though! But any band that has an album called "The Soundness of Madness" gets a nish-nish from me!

Oh maybe I do, each to their own though! But any band that has an album called "The Soundness of Madness" gets a nish-nish from me!
    Lol...i never noticed my typo...doh!, the album is called 'The Sound Of Madness'

Just finished listening to Glasvegas, Jury's still out but the production on it is horrible. They have gone for the "wall of sound" Phil Spector type. The drummer in the band has the easiest job in the world no rhythyms just bass drum and a tambourine. The tunes are good though all a bit similar. Maybe after a few listens it might be my album of the year but its not looking promising as the same sound runs throughout, maybe if they got their drummer to actually PLAY it would be better!

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    Just finished listening to Glasvegas, Jury's still out but the production on it is horrible. They have gone for the "wall of sound" Phil Spector type. The drummer in the band has the easiest job in the world no rhythyms just bass drum and a tambourine. The tunes are good though all a bit similar. Maybe after a few listens it might be my album of the year but its not looking promising as the same sound runs throughout, maybe if they got their drummer to actually PLAY it would be better!
    I found this band were very over-rated, their songs just annoy me.
    Why are they so hyped? And seriously, i thought my band name was bad........

Quote Originally Posted by loganbiffy View Post
    I found this band were very over-rated, their songs just annoy me.
    Why are they so hyped? And seriously, i thought my band name was bad........
    I Am Scientist, from Edinburgh, came up with a tune entitled 'Glasvegas' on their album, which came out, I believe, almost ten years ago. Not sure if the band took their name from the song, but it wouldn't surprise me. Myself, I preferred Glasvegas when they used to sing songs from Grease and didn't take themselves so seriously. As for the drummer, well, she makes Meg White look like John Bonham, but then, her drumming ability (or lack thereof), is far from the point with this band.

And seeing as most of the bands I like have either split up, are dead, or no longer tour, there hasn't been much for me to get excited about album-wise. Saying that, if push came to shove, I'd have to say Mogwai's new album, The Hawk Is Howling.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    And seeing as most of the bands I like have either split up, are dead, or no longer tour, there hasn't been much for me to get excited about album-wise. Saying that, if push came to shove, I'd have to say Mogwai's new album, The Hawk Is Howling.
    I'm the same, a lot of bands I am into have split or have dead members.
    Haven't heard Mogwai's new album yet, i like their other stuff though.
    New one any good?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast