Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Lennon Northern Lights Festival - October Concert in Durness

well done to all ...and have a whale of a weekend in durness...xx
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada

Smile

thanks, ciderally! there's excitement in the air, and, more activities have come together for this weekend in Durness - I've got to catch-up post mail melt-down; right now, here's word on some musical fun that's accessible to us all:

Allison Crowe joins Judy Collins, Katie Melua and more in MOJO Tribute to Leonard Cohen

Canada's bicoastal musical marvel Allison Crowe is among those invited by MOJO magazine to celebrate Leonard Cohen, master of song, on a soon-to-be-released tribute CD. Crowe contributes her cover of "Joan of Arc" - a favourite first heard on the 1971 Cohen album "Songs of Love and Hate".

It's been a wonderful year for appreciation of poet and songwriter+ Leonard Cohen - highlighted by all the live performances, and, the love that's flowed famously at the Glastonbury Festival and more concerts across North America and Europe.

MOJO magazine, one of the world's great music publications, has put together a delightful tribute - one well-designed and timed to raise the banner high over a year that's been very special for lovers of Cohen, just turned 74. As they explain it: "The November 1 issue of MOJO (cover dated December) is celebrating deep and moving music, the kind of stuff we need in the run up to the holiday period. The accompanying MOJO cover mounted CD will be made up of 15 tired and emotional masterpieces from the pen of veteran songwriter Leonard Cohen."

Here be the final running order of the tracks on the upcoming tribute album:

1 Suzanne 3:42 - Ian McCulloch
    2 In My Secret Life 4:23 - Katie Melua
    3 Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye 3:02 - Claudine Longet
    4 Sisters Of Mercy 3:34 - Dion
    5 Story Of Isaac 4:09 - Linda Thompson
    6 Priests 4:01 - Eyeless In Gaza
    7 Joan of Arc 4:55 - Allison Crowe
    8 Hallelujah 5:46 - Susanna And The Magical Orchestra
    9 Avalanche 5:13 - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
    10 Chelsea Hotel No.2 4:19 - Josh Ritter
    11 Take This Longing 6:16 - Phil Campbell
    12 Tower Of Song 3:46 - Martha Wainwright
    13 Song For Bernadette 4:21 - Judy Collins
    14 Famous Blue Raincoat 5:08 - The Handsome Family
    15 Tonight Will Be Fine 2:45 - Mr David Viner

Alongside the MOJO cover-mount CD, there's expected to be plenty of love for Leonard Cohen reigning o'er the magazine's print and online editions, in Q magazine, and on MOJO Radio next month.

Allison Crowe is currently at the mid-point in her third European tour of 2008. It's a visit that's seen her perform to passionate audiences in Frankfurt, Paris, Siegen, Vienna, and now Prague, Czech Republic - after which she flies to the Highlands of Scotland for a concert in Durness, a fundraiser for the John Lennon Memorial Garden. Following this weekend in the Highlands, she performs in Edinburgh, before returning to North America where she’ll ready her annual Tidings holiday concert series in support of a host of charities from the Atlantic to the Pacific coasts.

Default more happenings in Durness - news from photographer Shona McMillan

HIGHLAND HOLIDAYS REMEMBERED - IMAGINE THIS - A FREE EVENT, PRODUCED & FUNDED BY SHONA MCMILLAN

Building on the success of her Highland Holidays Remembered exhibition, last month in Kinlochbervie, Shona McMillan returns to the area this week to stage her new exhibition as part of this year's Northern Lights, John Lennon Festival in Durness. Over a long weekend of activities, held to raise funds for the John Lennon memorial garden in Durness, Shona's exhibition will be held as a free event staged at the Tourist Information Centre in Durness. In 2007, this new Northern Lights Festival proved to be a tremendous success and brought many visitors to the area from both Scotland and abroad. Afterwards, recognised for its achievements, the event went on to win the best new festival in the United Kingdom.

Celebrating Beatle John Lennon's connections to the area, visitors flocked to Durness to enjoy activities organised to commemorate John's special relationship with his Highland holiday family home. As a boy, John spent many holidays with his relations who lived in Durness and later, John returned to visit the area with his wife Yoko Ono and his children. Indeed, it is considered that the inspiration he found from his memories of Durness were used by him in the creation of song lyrics he later wrote with the Beatles. For visitors to see, words from these songs are carved into stones erected amongst a vibrant abundance of flowers planted in the John Lennon memorial garden next to the Community Centre in Durness. Funds raised from this year’s activities will help to contribute towards future maintenance of the garden.

From childhood, Shona McMillan from Edinburgh has been a regular visitor to the north and thinks of Durness and Kinlochbervie as her Highland homes. Shona said: "Last year I was delighted to be invited to play the fiddle with the Fergie MacDonald ceilidh band at the opening of the festival. I actually purchased my camera to take photos over that weekend, just to have a record of it all. Now this year, it's great to be invited to return as a photographer and stage this exhibition which I hope both locals and visitors will enjoy. At events last year I met John Lennon's sister Julia Baird and had the opportunity to interview her. I was fascinated to hear her many stories of John's time in Durness. Julia described John's fascinaton with SmooCave, how he would swim in the icy waters there which come out of the hills and she also talked about his love for the beaches, Sango Sands and Balnakeil. Julia wrote the book ˜Imagine this, my brother John Lennon" and as the areas John enjoyed are also favourites of my own I hope that, through my photos, visitors will ˜Imagine This" -John's time and a childhood spent in this beautiful part of Scotland.

Durness was first visited by Shona's family 50 years ago, when cars were not a common sight on Northern roads. Shona's family pulled a caravan from the 270 miles Edinburgh to Durness and would stay at the park, next to the beach and the big house at Balnakeil farm. Shona explains “I grew up knowing the farm manager as my Uncle John and his wife as my Aunty Mary. Yet, there was always such a strong connection to the place and people that it did feel as if I came from the place. Later, holidaying more from a Kinlochbervie base, roots were established in both villages so that one year, at the Durness Highland Games tug of war, Shona actually pulled first for Durness and then changed sides to pull for KLB!. In her exhibition, in addition to scenic pictures which reflect John Lennon's favourite places, there will also be pictures of Durness locals photograhed by Shona and her family over their many Highland holidays.

Said Shona “It was very entertaining at my Kinlochbervie event to see peoples expressions as they viewed my old photos and indeed, there were many laughs shared as people recalled the old times. In addition, pictures of the Forth Road bridge being built, the Kessock and Kylesku ferries, even I was surprised myself to consider how many changes have taken place in the years I’ve been coming north. Accordingly, if any one has any old photos they wish to share with me and others, I would be delighted to include them in future exhibitions up here. For example, for the Year of Homecoming 2009, I am producing a Highland Homecoming exhibition and anyone who can contribute old photos to this should contact me at shonaMmcmillan@aol.com. In addition, photos I take over this forthcoming festival weekend will also contribute to next year's events so expect to see me out and about with my camera at as many events as I can get to. And with what is planned, I'll be taking my fiddle along with me and looking forward to a really great weekend in Durness with something on offer to everyone's taste.

This year's events start on Friday 10th October at 1pm with Shona McMillan's exhibition at the Durness Tourist Information Centre. Later at 7.30pm there will be an evening of poetry reading at the Loch Croispol book shop. From around 10.30 pm, to the wee small hours, Face The West from Stornoway play a gig at Sango Sands Oasis and again on Saturday lunchtime. From Balnakeil at 2pm on Saturday 11th, Graham Bruce will lead a folklore talk/walk and in the evening Allison Crowe and Billie Woods will perform at the Durness Community Centre Hall. Over the weekend, Shona's exhibition will be on view from 10-5 on Saturday, 2-5 on Sunday and will finish on Monday 13th at 1pm. For more information on Shona's exhibition and events see http://www.myspace.com/shona_M_mcmillan

Anyone else make it out to Durness?

Fantastic weekend, and Allison was great as always... really lovely in every way.

The Observer had a great piece about the Durness / Lennon connection yesterday

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008...ennon-scotland

Smile

That's a lovely article, thanks for the link.

Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all - once again - in Durness!

I'm happy to hear your report, as I've not had opportunity to catch up with Allison. I know that "The Long and Winding Road" is a Paul, rather than a John, Beatle song - still it seems to fit the stretch from Durness to Thurso. I have learned that Allison plans to travel via Yellow Submarine next time, as the car-trip left her a bit queasy. Still, she relished the not-to-be-missed Sunday Carvery at the St Clair Arms in Castletown, so, clearly, the ride "did not kill them and they weren't banned from the Olympic Games."

And the John Lennon Memorial Garden shall have more nurturing.

I didn't know, until after the weekend's celebrations in Durness were already organized and about to happen, that Elton John has a song about his good friend, John, which contains such lines as:

"He must have been a gardener that cared a lot
    Who weeded out the tears and grew a good crop
    And we are so amazed.
    We're crippled and we're dazed.
    A gardener like that one, no one can replace."

Och, aye.

It's a national holiday here in Canada to day. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12