Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smoking

Default smoking

I have been doing some,albeit unscientific, observations, ie sitting watching the world go by, down town, and I have noticed that the number of girls, young ladies and women and older women smokers (in public) far out number the number of males. I wonder if women don't believe what's being told to them by the medical profession, or are they trying to catch up with men (who used to smoke, but have managed to stop). Or perhaps they don't have the will-power or perhaps they are just being silly. Anyway, why do they do it, after all the bad publicity smoking has had??
    Keep it country

Maybe the do it just because that is their choice - luckily we still have freedom of choice in some things in this country.

Smokers seem to get worse press these days than bliddy murderers
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I think they do it because they 'Want' to................

well im female and ive never smoked a cigarette in my life, have no inclination to and very seriously doubt i ever will. so its not all us girls out there smoking,
    http://itqueries.com/

They are making a statement, a deep desire to do man things.
    Even if we find the light it will be surround by shadow.

its to keep their left hand busy whilst they hold their pint in the other.!

Just wondering, do you watch young men and boys as intensely.

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    well im female and ive never smoked a cigarette in my life, have no inclination to and very seriously doubt i ever will. so its not all us girls out there smoking,

Im with you brandy ive never smoked in my like and have no intention of starting either im fair proud of myself as all my mates were scrimping and saving there dinner money at school just to buy a 10 pack they were starving and i was full

Default agree with you TC

have also noticed more women smoking than men - all ages and employment status.

It does not seem to be an economy thing - not poorer households smoking more as it used to be, just generally more females smoking than males, irrespective of earning capacity.

It may be to look more macho - anyone any other ideas?

TC will be sitting watching folk generally - he is a people watcher, likes to see the odd idiosyncracies people have and comment on them. He will be noticing these things as he goes about his employment - dealing with the public, mainly outside, noticing the smokers are mainly female as they have a last few puffs before extinguishing their cigarettes as they prepare to enter into non smoking areas.

TC - the weather is great up here today!

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Maybe the do it just because that is their choice - luckily we still have freedom of choice in some things in this country.

Smokers seem to get worse press these days than bliddy murderers
    So I take it your tablets have not worked Changi
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

You would take it wrong golach, I aint somked in over 6 months now, just get annoyed at folks having a go all the time
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

When I smoked it was just because I actually liked it, I could easily go back to it, but I choose not to. So just maybe they like it more than they are worried about it. And believe it or not, it is a really hard addiction to give up.
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Maybe they think they'll be alright if they don't inhale.

Angry Female Smokers

One reason why it seems to be more females smoking than males may be (rightly or wrongly) a weight issue.

It is often thought that smoking helps keep you slimmer as, instead of eating, they choose to have a cigarette. To stop smoking, well, that may lead to putting on weight and in today's society, especially with the younger females, putting on weight is a big no no.

I myself smoke. Do so now for the addiction but still enjoy a couple of the ones I have daily. I need to stop though and will be (hopefully) shortly .

If I do put on weight (which more than likely I will) it will be a battle of wills not to go back on the cigarettes to prevent any more weight gain. Not that I am vain or anything. I just dont want to put on weight.
    Last edited by Nibbler; 08-Sep-08 at 14:13. Reason: Spelling getting worse - not better
    They say life is what you make it. So guys, lets make it better!!

im female and i dont smoke in fact i hate it, alot of my family smoke, id never date someone who smokes.....
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cornwall View Post
    I have been doing some,albeit unscientific, observations, ie sitting watching the world go by, down town, and I have noticed that the number of girls, young ladies and women and older women smokers (in public) far out number the number of males. I wonder if women don't believe what's being told to them by the medical profession, or are they trying to catch up with men (who used to smoke, but have managed to stop). Or perhaps they don't have the will-power or perhaps they are just being silly. Anyway, why do they do it, after all the bad publicity smoking has had??
    As a man I find this a bit "sexist" so heaven knows how all the weemen feel!!!
    I think women have more will power than men(try winning an argument with the wife!).
    I havent noticed an ever increasing amount of female smokers in Wick so maybe its a geographical thing as opposed to a gender thing???

Well recently I attended a wedding dance and was amazed at the number of young people there who smoked - male and female. Just shows that the money the government puts into trying to stop smoking is wasted! I don't like smoking but do feel it is a matter of choice and choice is the thing that is slowly being taken away from all of us!

A lot of people do put on weight when they give up smoking, but I thinks it is a bit of swapping addictions, I certainly did. I started eating lollies to counteract the need for nicotine (sp?)

Just a thought ...
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    You would take it wrong golach, I aint somked in over 6 months now, just get annoyed at folks having a go all the time
    Thank the heavens. An ex-smoker that hasn't taken the holier than thou attitude that most do having given up smoking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolabelle View Post
    A lot of people do put on weight when they give up smoking, but I thinks it is a bit of swapping addictions, I certainly did. I started eating lollies to counteract the need for nicotine (sp?)

Just a thought ...
    I thought you would have called yourself, 'Lollybelle' in that case?

I've got to agree with TC on this.

If you observe any mixed group of teenage people - it will be mainly the girls who are smoking, not the boys. That's not 'sexist' thats an observation on my part.

Default Girls

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    I've got to agree with TC on this.

If you observe any mixed group of teenage people - it will be mainly the girls who are smoking, not the boys. That's not 'sexist' thats an observation on my part.
    It came to mind with me as well .
    It does seem more girls than boys smoke nowadays.
    I have put on over 2 stone since giving up just over a year ago.
    I feel now that I have cracked the smoking habit so now is the time to look at loosing some wieght.
    As for having the choice, its down to the individual if they want to smoke or not and it is hard to give up .
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast