Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Driving jobs...Class one or two HGV

Default Driving jobs...Class one or two HGV

Down in the south, to a degree here in North-west England and moreso further toward the south east & London there is a chronic shortage developing of HGV / LGV drivers - articulated vehicles class one, in particular.

Does anyone know if this is also the case up in Caithness? I have my doubts.
    As I've seen no vacancies advertised. I know jobs of this nature, based up there may involve many nights away from home but if there are any drivers on the site who could give me an inkling about job prospects I'd be grateful.
    Thanks
    Alan

Thumbs down

Hi Alan

Like you say, there's a chronic shortage of HGV drivers in most areas, but as a HGV driver myself, I can say that's not the case up here.

Since moving up here, I have been looking for other work as I was fed up of living in a truck all week, anyone who's done it knows it's not much fun. But not had much luck finding a job and would consider driving again if that was the only job I could get......but there aren't any!

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by stekar
    Hi Alan

Like you say, there's a chronic shortage of HGV drivers in most areas, but as a HGV driver myself, I can say that's not the case up here......
    .......there aren't any! <jobs>

Good Luck!
    Okay mate and thanks for replying. It's as I expected really.
    Having done my share of 'distance' work down here for a good number of years
    (80's/90's) I've really had enough of kipping in cabs too.
    Luckily , I'm very local these days.

regards
    Alan

Certainly don't miss sleeping in a truck (if you can sleep properly in noisy lorry parks, and always wondering if stuff has been nicked overnight). At first it was enjoyable, but not anymore with the state of the roads and traffic. Glad to be out of it.

So, are you thinking of moving up here then? Can recommend it up here, have no regrets about moving up here ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by stekar
    Certainly don't miss sleeping in a truck....

....So, are you thinking of moving up here then? Can recommend it up here, have no regrets about moving up here ourselves.
    I noticed how noisy truckstops and the like were becoming back in the mid-nineties when I chucked in distance work. All the night trunking activity was on the increase and changeovers ARE noisy! Distance trucking is a young mans game I think, it's more or less out of my system now. To be honest though I do still slightly hanker after the odd long run. Early starts or late evening with the sun rising or setting , the right music on the cab stereo it is still the best job in the world....very ocassionally.

I /we can't retire for another ten years so it's noses to the admittedly cushy grindstone for a while yet. Thinking of buying a property and renting it out cos if we leave it another ten years we'll be priced out of it like almost everyone else. Maybe land, I dont know. The truth is we'd favour the west but prices have gone sillly. Came up your way last October for a look around and and really liked the east coast. How long since you moved?

I have a three year old grandaughter and frankly I'd bust a gut to get her & her mum up there with us one day.

Are you in Wick?

Alan

Hi Alan

I've sent you a pm, hope you get it.

Regards
    Last edited by stekar; 04-Jan-06 at 22:37.

stevens at scrabster, by thurso are advertising for lorry drivers just now. hope you get a job in caithness and move here. it is a very friendly and safe environment. i moved here 24 years ago.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

I agree life up here has the advantage of being very safe for the children.I wouldnt move away from here as it is an ideal environment for them I can highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland
    I agree life up here has the advantage of being very safe for the children.I wouldnt move away from here as it is an ideal environment for them I can highly recommend it.
    I second that alice, its safe for children i would not move anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by angela5
    I second that alice, its safe for children i would not move anywhere else.
    Yes, that's one of the reasons we moved up too.

I know some people think we are disadvantaged living so far north but for every negative you can always find a positive and a safe environment is the biggest positive we have and the scenery well its a bonus

The kids would miss getting out and about with so much freedom cant do that in other parts of the country.
    Last edited by Alice in Blunderland; 04-Jan-06 at 23:59.

Can think of more positives of living up here than negatives. Definately don't want to move back down.