Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Advice please on my tatties

Default Advice please on my tatties

Hi

Planted early and late tatties, the earlies were fantastic. The lates were really flourishing, loads of flowers on them and then all of a sudden last week after a battering of wind the shaws seem to have died off. Being a novice at this game does that mean that the shaws have died but the tatties will be ok or does it sound like the whole lot is wasted? Any comments appreciated. Everything else in the veg patch seems fine and is thriving so I dont think it is a soil problem.
    Cheers.

Shaws will die off if battered by the wind, don't panic. Same happened in our garden and tatties were ok underneath, they just won't grow any bigger now. If you're going to lift them, mind and keep them out of the light or they will turn green - less of an issue if you are keeping them for seed for next year, of course.

they will be fine,we had our first crop and the second crop are nearly ready. If you want to take out the tatties and seed them for next year oput them in a dark cupboard.
    Hint. go to tescos and get a bag of cheap spuds, plonk them in the cupboard and let them seed, then plant them out early spring, thats what we did 2 years back and have had four lots of ready tatties, which are beautiful...