Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cervical Cancer Injections for Young Girls

this is something, that all girls should have, if it is going to help prevent this silent killer, then i am all for it, i know that when my girls reach that age they will definatly get it,it has started think it is in glasgow, and it will be rolled out over the whole of scotland within the next few weeks.

If the vaccine had been available 30-odd years ago my mum might still be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilter View Post
    If the vaccine had been available 30-odd years ago my mum might still be alive.
    Brings it home how important the vaccine is.

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    Now it seems that this is being used as a preventative but children as young as 12 should not be getting anything like HPV, infact sexual conduct at that age is illegal......

...........To kill off HPV to prevent cervical cancer is all they will know..

............It apparently can effect males and females alike, causing penial cancer, testicular cancer, so why are the boys not being offered it aswell.....
    Girls are also vaccinated against reubeola because if they suffer the disease when pregnant it severly affects the fetus. Reubeola vaccinations are given age 12. Does that incentivate any of them to go out there and try to become mothers?
    This vaccine is only effective if given before natural infection occurs. Lets be real: many kids are doing alot more than we care to admit at alot earlier ages. If the fear of pregnancy and/or aids does not affect what they are doing, then the distant prospect of potencial cerviacal cancer will not either.

Medicine is not an exact science. While there are many unanswered questions, there have also been huge strides made from which we benefit in our everyday lives, because medicine took risks. People died of what we now look at as minor illnesses. Many sever ilnesses are cured or at least managable, which in the past were death sentences. This vaccine has the very real possibility stopping 9 out of 10 cerviacal cancer cases of ever happening. That has to be a great thing.

It will never kill of HPV, just as measles, mumps and chicken pox will never be killed off. Even if boys were vaccinated ( which they will not be), not everyone is vaccinated nor does every person vaccinated respond sufficiently to it. The reason boys are not vaccinated: cost versus result ratio. The costs are huge compared to the relatively few situtions where HPV causes problems in males.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

I posted earlier my support for the vaccine but now have done a complete U turn through a conversation with my daughter. Both she and oh are medics and researched the vaccine and based on their findings would not consider any young girl having these injections.
    1. A lack of research on long term effects either good or bad.
    2. Hyped publicity by drug company who will be supplying vaccine.....they will make mega bucks.
    3. Vaccine claims effectiveness in relation to only two of the HPV strains.
    4. The adult immune system normally kills off HPVs' rendering them harmless, though there will be those who will develop cervical cancer due to other factors.
    5. Inadequate trials of the vaccine.
    6. The information in relation to the vaccine is based on the assumption all children from the age of twelve are sexually active.

The list is extensive, the research incomplete and where does that leave our children..........being used as guinea pigs....

Good for you teenybash, nice to see that not all parents would just let someone stick a vaccination into their child because the authorities say so.
    I too have done some research on this and have decided that my girls wont get it, not until they can assure me that it will be better in the long run, which cannot be verified..

i always research things like this, for my childrens wellbeing, and it makes me wonder what parents are thinking when they say yes to stuff they have no knowledge about.....

The only 2 HPV it can help and they are strains, 16-18, There are over 100 strains of HPV and none have been certified of having led to cervical cancer.

My aunty died of lung cancer 5 years ago, she started off with cervical cancer, which then spread to the uterus, she had a historectomy and then it went to liver and lung, would this injection helped her, No..But it seems many are sticking to letting their children have the injection, but i wont be...

in a square thing made of bricks. Oh, it's called a house! lol

This sounds like it's going to end up as another MMR argument!!

My daughter is 8, there is no history of any cancers in my family that I am aware of, but I wouldn't necessarily refuse to allow her the vaccine. Why? Because it will be any future sexual partner(s) she has that would pass on the virus to her. Yes, it may only cover 2 strains of HPV, yes there are many more strains out there, but if trials are showing positive, then why shouldn't we take this vaccine up? We allow our children all the other vaccines available, and some of us now request our children to have the BCG vaccine, but not one of us know exactly how our child/ren will react to the vaccines. This vaccine is no different. Everyone reacts differently to all natures of things. As long as trials are monitored (and not just by manufacturers who will make mega bucks), and no negative reactions are reported, this can only be for the benefit of our children. Others on here have lost or are losing relatives through cervical cancer, no doubt if the vaccine had been available when those cancer victims had been children, they would have considered taking the injections, especially if there has been a family history of it.

Time will tell how well this actually works, just as it will no doubt add to the number of strains of HPV that it can prevent. But I don't think people should be 'ordered' to have it, nor do I think people should be questioned about their decision to allow their child to have it. It is down to personal choice, and if my daughter was 12, and we had a history of CC in our family, I'd be first in the queue with her, in the hope it would save her life one day. Who knows if it will be available in 4 years time, when she'll be old enough, but if it is, she'll be given the vaccine too. We have to remember, whether we like it or not, children ARE becoming sexually active at a younger age. But there's also the fact that HPV can be passed on via touching something with HPV on it; it's another invisible and deadly disease that we have to take seriously. But I still think boys should have the vaccine, regardless of cost, if they are the 'main carriers' of HPV. And yes, I would get both my sons vaccinated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    this is something, that all girls should have, if it is going to help prevent this silent killer, then i am all for it, i know that when my girls reach that age they will definatly get it,it has started think it is in glasgow, and it will be rolled out over the whole of scotland within the next few weeks.
    No disrespect to you but you are saying your girls will definitely have the injections, have you asked them about it?

karia Guest

[quote=justine;4260
    My aunty died of lung cancer 5 years ago, she started off with cervical cancer, which then spread to the uterus, she had a historectomy and then it went to liver and lung, would this injection helped her, No..But it seems many are sticking to letting their children have the injection, but i wont be...[/quote]

If her cancer started off in her cervix then travelled as you suggest then I fail to see why this injection would not have helped.

Nobody knows the long term effects of this drug, we all know about the morning sickness drug, 'thalidomide' and it eventual catastrophic effect.

karia Guest

No one knows the long term results of tea or coffee drinking!

I have had several recalls and surgery for cervical cancer type cell changes...am awaiting surgery now as are at least 5 of my friends. There were 8 of us but 3 died in the interim. Leaving 7 children.

Show me the girls who (fully informed) don't want the jabs..I will happily take their place.

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post

I have had several recalls and surgery for cervical cancer type cell changes...am awaiting surgery now as are at least 5 of my friends. There were 8 of us but 3 died in the interim. Leaving 7 children.

Show me the girls who (fully informed) don't want the jabs..I will happily take their place.
    I think we would know the long term effects of tea or coffee drinking by now?
    I hope everything works out for you, sorry to hear about your losses.
    If people are willing to take this drug and they nust be fully informed of it's researched effects, good or bad then all power to them but drugs such as thalidomide should definitely serve as a cautionary tale in the usage of any new medicines.

karia Guest

But it is not a drug like Thalidomide..it is an anti viral and quite different!

Lest you think I treat Thalidomide lightly I was born in the early 60's and my mum was prescribed thalidomide for morning sickness...she didn't take it.

Appreciate your good wishes..some of those I spoke of are fellow orgers but I hardly know a woman who has not had some form of treatment in relationship to this disease.

Unfortunately it does not help cervical cancer, it just kills the HPV virus that may or may not cause the cancer, so women over 30 are not considered right for the drug.Hense why the age group of 12-18.
    This is the reason i would say that the drug would not have helped my aunty.If they had been testing it when she was a child she may not have died at 55 yrs old, but it was not to be..
    This drug has not been verified to do what they say.The test have only been done in the last 2 years and cannot be proven to help any form of cervical cancer..

But it is not a drug like Thalidomide..it is an anti viral and quite different!
    It is NOT an antiviral. It is a vaccine. A vaccine stimulates the immune system to immediately recognize and attack a foreign agent (in this case a virus). An antiviral drug is a medication that targets a viral infection.
    So an antiviral is actually quite like thalidomide (or if you want, a viral antibiotic) and very unlike a vaccine. But the reason I am enfatically pointing this out is that people sometimes get into a frenzy about something that they do not know much about and then jump to conclusions, based on assumptions and facts that could start out like a fact such as this "antiviral drug".
    We have a saying in portugal: "De medico e de louco, temos todos um pouco"- Of a Doctor and a mad man we all have a little.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Scunner View Post
    Looking at the long term view - i'm an old wifie, and took HRT and have the scars to prove it - now am cautious about any new preventative measures.

I completely understand your point of view as it stems from your own experience however, could you really deny your daughter the chance to protect herself against this disease?

My niece died recently from a rare form of cervical cancer and she was aged just 23. She caught it in the early stages, had so much chemo that if she had survived her body would never have been able to have any chemo ever again, she had radiotherapy etc etc but died in a little under a year from first diagnosis.
    It's a cruel disease - as are all cancers - and I for one am hoping and praying that both my daughters get this jab, as are they.

Does anyone know how it's working at Wick High? Both my daughters are in sixth form and I'm worried they won't be given the opportunity to get it.
    They turn 18 next March does that mean they won't be given it after that point?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    I completely understand your point of view as it stems from your own experience however, could you really deny your daughter the chance to protect herself against this disease?

My niece died recently from a rare form of cervical cancer and she was aged just 23. She caught it in the early stages, had so much chemo that if she had survived her body would never have been able to have any chemo ever again, she had radiotherapy etc etc but died in a little under a year from first diagnosis.
    It's a cruel disease - as are all cancers - and I for one am hoping and praying that both my daughters get this jab, as are they.

Does anyone know how it's working at Wick High? Both my daughters are in sixth form and I'm worried they won't be given the opportunity to get it.
    They turn 18 next March does that mean they won't be given it after that point?

According to my daughter who i spoke to last night, she says they are starting theres this month. The exact date is unknown but leaflets will be handed out..You culd phone the school for clarification but all the girls under 18 are being offered it.

Wasn't there something about innoculating boys against the virus that causes cervical cancer? Would that be acceptable to parents?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Wasn't there something about innoculating boys against the virus that causes cervical cancer? Would that be acceptable to parents?

But its not a cervical cancer drug, its a HPV sexualy transmitted disease drug, which kills the virus that may cause cervical cancer, but i think that if it is being allocated then boys should be offered but as the strains that the vaccine kills off is 16 and 18 only, the only two that are supposed to cause cervical cancer, then they wont need to get it.But there maybe should be a vaccine that will stop men getting HPV virus which can cause penial and testicular cancer in men.

Okay, how much do you trust the Government? Would you trust them implicity to make health based decisions for your children? Would you trust the big pharmaceutical company who stands to make millions, if not billions? I for one would not, so it does amaze me when people allow their children to be injected without doing thorough research into just what is going into their bodies - after all if the immunity acquired from the vaccine can last a lifetime, then surely any effects from the vaccine have the ability to do so also.

This vaccine (along with many others) contains alumunum which is highly toxic to the human body, is known to cause brain damage and has been implicated in behavioural problems in children. Yes, we come across it in everyday life from various sources and we do ingest it but very little is absorbed by the body because of the protective barrier in the gut . When aluminium is injected in vaccines of course it bypasses the protective lining of the gut, so what is the long term effect - well nobody really knows because it has never undergone any safety trials. Once aluminium enters the brain it is only excreted very slowly and is liable to accumulate. How can this accumulation affect the immune system in the long term (we start injecting it into our babies at around 8 weeks old)? Well, I think doctors would tell you that it won’t affect the immune system in the long term - we have been using it for many years and we would know by now if there was a problem wouldn’t we?

I just wonder that now we give so many vaccinations (I think it is more than 20 by the time the child is 5 years old) compared to, say, the 1960’s why are we seeing such a rise in immune related problems such as cancer, diabetes, asthma, allergies, autism etc etc? Could it be linked? Why will nobody do an independent study into it? The big studies are usually funded by the vaccine companies so are they truly independent?

There have been vaccines which were withdrawn after being used on many children because of problems, just as medications have been withdrawn. Who knows what effect the HPV vaccine will have on these girls in, say, twenty years time? Nobody.

It would be wonderful if we could wipe out cancer with a vaccine, without causing any harm to these children, but I would be very, very cautious. The GP can only really pass on the information they have been given from the manufacturers - if they had concerns over the safety of the vaccine, do you think they would say so? Of course not, that would be going against the department of health and Government advice. I don’t doubt for one moment that this vaccine will prevent some people developing this cruel disease (perhaps not nearly so many as people seem to think) but at what cost? That is the thing we are not told about and not expected to question or research.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast