Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: "Race" for the White House

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "Race" for the White House

Is there anyone else in the race for the Presidency of the United States of America? I ask because the only news I see on this subject involves Obama, the only speeches I see broadcast are by Obama or supporters of Obama. Anyone in the USA care to give their perspective on this? I regularly skip between Sky News, Fox News, Al Jazeera International and BBC World – but have seen nothing of the McCain campaign. If it were the other way around I am sure there are those who would be shouting about discrimination.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but surely Fox is Republican leaning?

Personally, I think Obama would be a dreadful Prez, and McCain less so. Although the presence of Biden has made me more comfortable with the Democrats.

Would this be the same fox news that tried to do a hatchet Job on Obama?

Fox News/Sky News they are basically the same - all I am saying is that I have not seen a speech or heard anything from McCain, and I am sure that he has a campaign.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Having seen American broadcasts of Fox (which have to be to be believed), I assume there's a watered-down tranmission for international consumption, just as al-Jaz tones down its rhetoric in English.

Pro-McCain coverage is going on where it matters; American voters. Whomever wins, I have a feeling is going to be a one-term President.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancholy Man View Post
    Whomever wins, I have a feeling is going to be a one-term President.
    Agree. And I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of Mrs. Clinton in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsboy View Post
    Is there anyone else in the race for the Presidency of the United States of America? I ask because the only news I see on this subject involves Obama, the only speeches I see broadcast are by Obama or supporters of Obama. Anyone in the USA care to give their perspective on this? I regularly skip between Sky News, Fox News, Al Jazeera International and BBC World – but have seen nothing of the McCain campaign. If it were the other way around I am sure there are those who would be shouting about discrimination.
    Scotsboy, I'm not American and I pretty much stick to BBC and CNN news and Justin Webb (latter obviously very pro-Obama), but you're right - it's all Obama. When I did a search for McCain, I had trouble spelling his name ........... which tells me a great deal.

I've not listened to last night's speech, not having 45 minutes to spare right now, but having trawled the US news just now, it looks like he's pulled it off, inspite of the "Temple of the Anointed One" background and doing it on the anniversary of Dr MLK Jr's "I Have a Dream." I don't think he's playing the race card - only an idiot would think that would work. He's playing the youth and JFK cards because McCain's biggest bugbear is his age. If he's elected without having to play a religion card my opinion of the US will rise considerably.

What I do get (unfortunately) is emails from the States that slag Obama off very very viciously. I bin them but wish I'd kept the latest for you so you can see McCain supporters are alive and well. Only thing I can remember skimming on this last was that Obama's not even really black but Middle Eastern, his ancestors were slave-owners bla bla bla, Muslims will take over US if he gets in, Christians should pray for rain at democratic nomination. Real crackpot stuff.

Obama's made a very wise move choosing Biden. We'll hear more of McCain when he announces his running mate etc.

Obama's made a very wise move choosing Biden.
    I laughed when BBC News 24 described Biden as "critical of the Iraq war". Let's forget the fact it's over, Biden in fact supported it and has a son about to be posted there. But don't let that get in the way of a steely attempt to deny reality.